+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Makes sense! These are the thoughts going through my head too. I also wonder how supportive these parents would be if their children were transgender or gay?
    As a person who wanted a boy and got 2 girls first (see previous post) I dont think *how* or *what* they turn out to be is an issue. If my ds1 is gay, transgender intersex whatever, I dont care. I will love him the same (as if my girls were/are).

*edit* If I had have had dd#3 instead of a ds, I am not sure how I would have initially dealt with it. I am sure I would love a baby no matter what, but for me 3dds was never in the plan. I am sure I'd have been resentful and angry at DH (maybe irrationally so) maybe even suffered pnd - who knows - would that have been any different than having a boy? I am positive I would have got over it, but luckily I neverhad to deal with that.

I think with the harmony test etc (available from 10 weeks), termination based on sex is a cheaper and more accessible option for people who are h'ell bent on having a certain sex anyway and there is no "legislation" (apart from normal termimation regulations in each state) to stop them/against that so I am torn between what the difference is... maybe naively so.

I think of people want to choose sex let them. I am a woman and wanted boys, I know many other woman wanted girls - I think it evens out.
    Last edited by KitiK; 21-05-2016 at 16:34.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

I am for Gender selection. I say this from a point of view of someone who has undergone 1 round of Ivf to have my daughter and then many more rounds to have a second child. I am to the point now of already designing my baby.. Using a both a sperm and egg donor to try for the second as my own eggs are too old. I have chosen the babies probable height and hair and eye colour though it is not fail safe. I am already travelling overseas for donor eggs.. And would have used sex selection if it was an option... In order to have another girl being a single parent family. So yes I think it should be legal here for anyone who has the desire. If you don't agree with it., don't do it. If money wasn't an issue.. I would have gone to the U.S. For my egg and sperm donor with sex selection.. But why should I have to given the technology is here. In the end.. It is my body., my choice. I know some will chastise me for my ideas.. Especially as it is not for family balancing or genetic reasons.. But being single., no significant male role models in my child's life will be easier for me with 2 girls.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kylie764 For This Useful Post:

crt22  (21-05-2016),GingerKat  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm ok with it and I've done IVF.

I actually think there would be a very small number of people wanting to use the technology so it wouldn't have much impact.

If a couple already has children and are going back to Ivf say with 5 frozen embryo's, I see no harm in them choosing a particular sex to put back in. The reality is that a lot of embryos are destroyed when couples are done with IVF anyway.

I can see why people have a problem with it, but I personally don't any.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I think with the harmony test etc (available from 10 weeks), termination based on sex is a cheaper and more accessible option for people who are h'ell bent on having a certain sex anyway .
    Please tell me people don't really do that ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yep. Often.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'd like to hear the opinion of transgender people (or their close friends and family) - I think they would be able to provide some different insights into this topic.
    My nephew is TG and it doesn't change my view. Just like any pregnancy, theres a chance of them being LGBTI so you could still end up disappointed. I might ask his mum how she feels and let you know.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-05-2016),Sonja  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They do indeed. There was a very highly publicised case in 2011 where a couple terminated perfectly healthy twins based on gender alone. I'd rather GS over that any day.

Eta-the twin boys were conceived via IVF too.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 21-05-2016 at 17:00.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-05-2016),Sonja  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not something I would ever contemplate but people do 😢😟 $600 as opposed to thousands in overseas IVF treatments etc. Its a very sad scenario. For those who really want to use sex selection they will find a way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    . Are we playing "God" so to speak. Are we messing with nature and it will bite us on the bum one day.

As silly as this sounds I believe that in some way there will be consequences to what we are doing with science and technology, like we will reach a point where we have gone too far.
    Anyway this probably makes zero sense.
    Haven't we already started 'messing with nature' when we allowed same sex couples and single women access to IVF? They wouldn't have been able to have children without this technology. I know it's not quite to the same level but essentially we've already started going against nature when IVF was conceived and developed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

crt22  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Haven't we already started 'messing with nature' when we allowed same sex couples and single women access to IVF? They wouldn't have been able to have children without this technology.
    You could say the same for infertile couples.