+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so undecided about this unless of course it's for medical/genetic reasons then I'm 100% for it!
    I have 4 daughters, yes it would be nice to have a son but I wouldn't go through unnecessary medical procedures to get a boy, especially when I can conceive naturally. If it's going to be an option in Aust, I believe it should be completely out of pocket, no Medicare rebates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I haven't looked in to it deeply...but the Shettles method has been around since the 60's and claims to have a 70%-85% success rate. I haven't done further research to see if this is true, though...and of course nothing is 100% like IVF...
    Shettles method has been completely debunked now thanks to science. We now know that x and y sperm swim at exactly the same rate. He was looking at decapitated sperm vs non-decapitated sperm. This theory still gets so much leverage because soooo many people will say oh I used the Shettles method at it worked for me. Of course, you have a 50/50 shot every time you conceive, of course it "worked" for loads of couples. However it also didn't work for loads of couples. Swaying is real, but it's based on the maternal condition which is influced by stress, diet and exercise and it's also influenced by the frequency of which you DTD. It is not influced by timing or pH or fast/slow swimming sperm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    If it's going to be an option in Aust, I believe it should be completely out of pocket, no Medicare rebates.
    I totally agree with this too, if it was to become legal it shouldn't be available with medicare rebates etc

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (21-05-2016),HillDweller  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Shettles method has been completely debunked now thanks to science. We now know that x and y sperm swim at exactly the same rate. He was looking at decapitated sperm vs non-decapitated sperm. This theory still gets so much leverage because soooo many people will say oh I used the Shettles method at it worked for me. Of course, you have a 50/50 shot every time you conceive, of course it "worked" for loads of couples. However it also didn't work for loads of couples. Swaying is real, but it's based on the maternal condition which is influced by stress, diet and exercise and it's also influenced by the frequency of which you DTD. It is not influced by timing or pH or fast/slow swimming sperm.
    Oh well, there you go. I'm sure there's other ways of 'swaying.' Like I said...I haven't looked in to it. We just had s.ex and were happy with what we got. I've never had gender disappointment, or a strong desire to parent both sexes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am against gender selection for non-medical reasons. I acknowledge gender disappointment is real and have empathy for those who feel it (pregnant with boy number 3 so in a limited way I understand it).

However gender selection has been used for unsavoury reasons internationally. A recent example has been in the media here in Australia.

For this reason IMO there is no benefit to outweigh the risk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few years ago I would have been against it but now I'm torn. On one hand I think if someone wants a certain gender let them have it. On the other hand I think why do they want a certain gender and what if the child doesn't live up to their expectations for example if someone wants a boy but then the boy isn't interested in doing boy things or sports and wants to play with dolls. Or if someone wants a girl and she ends up loving everything blue and playing with trucks, would that make a difference to them. And then I think where does it end, will it open the door to selecting eye colour or other features. Are we playing "God" so to speak. Are we messing with nature and it will bite us on the bum one day.
    I'm not comfortable with the idea and I don't think it should be legal as yet but should be openly discussed.
    I do feel concern for people who want a certain gender because then they have certain expectations from that gender and if the child isn't behaving as that gender what happens then...
    In an ideal world people would just be happy with a healthy baby but I do have a little bit of an understanding of wanting a certain gender, I just wouldn't go as far as gender selection.
    As silly as this sounds I believe that in some way there will be consequences to what we are doing with science and technology, like we will reach a point where we have gone too far.
    Anyway this probably makes zero sense.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (21-05-2016),babyno1onboard  (21-05-2016),BettyV  (21-05-2016),Silver flute  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd like to hear the opinion of transgender people (or their close friends and family) - I think they would be able to provide some different insights into this topic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm ok with it. 1/2 will want boys and 1/2 will want girls so it won't actually change the population dynamics. I really don't think it's a big deal.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Ngaiz  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    A few years ago I would have been against it but now I'm torn. On one hand I think if someone wants a certain gender let them have it. On the other hand I think why do they want a certain gender and what if the child doesn't live up to their expectations for example if someone wants a boy but then the boy isn't interested in doing boy things or sports and wants to play with dolls. Or if someone wants a girl and she ends up loving everything blue and playing with trucks, would that make a difference to them. And then I think where does it end, will it open the door to selecting eye colour or other features. Are we playing "God" so to speak. Are we messing with nature and it will bite us on the bum one day.
    I'm not comfortable with the idea and I don't think it should be legal as yet but should be openly discussed.
    I do feel concern for people who want a certain gender because then they have certain expectations from that gender and if the child isn't behaving as that gender what happens then...
    In an ideal world people would just be happy with a healthy baby but I do have a little bit of an understanding of wanting a certain gender, I just wouldn't go as far as gender selection.
    As silly as this sounds I believe that in some way there will be consequences to what we are doing with science and technology, like we will reach a point where we have gone too far.
    Anyway this probably makes zero sense.
    Makes sense! These are the thoughts going through my head too. I also wonder how supportive these parents would be if their children were transgender or gay?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

I know this will probably never happen however I would like to see IVF treatment be entirely free for the first child for couples who can't conceive naturally. To include gender selection in cases where there is a medical need (such as a medical condition likely being passed to one s&x and not the other).

For cases where there is no strict medical need, gender selection leaves a funny taste in my mouth. I worry where it will end, and worry about the message it sends the sons and daughters we already have. If someone is already going through IVF for infertility, I can see how it might seem easy to just try and go the extra step, however it still leaves me uncomfortable.

I am most uneasy with situations where people already have children and go through gender selection only because they want a baby of a certain gender. I worry that underlying issues that led to gender disappointment and/or gender selection won't necessarily be resolved simply by having a baby of the desired sex. I'm worried those issues may come back to bite the family down the track. From a financial viewpoint it leaves quite a bad taste in my mouth to think that people would spend significant money on obtaining a baby of a certain sex when there are so many kids in this world that don't have enough food and don't have a home. What a privileged life we lead.

I think my answer to the Ops question is no, however I will try and keep an open mind.
    Last edited by VicPark; 21-05-2016 at 16:32.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (21-05-2016)