+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I agree. In my life I have been defined by my hair colour as much as if not more than my gender.
    ".
    Sassy Blonde or adorable ginger?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

I agree. In my life I have been defined by my hair colour as much as if not more than my gender.

".
    Maybe it depends on what you do for a living and your life choices generally. As a lawyer my hair colours means f--- all. My gender makes my working life incredibly hard for me however.

I agree personality is not dictated by gender. I think I expressed it poorly in my earlier post. My son is the opposite of a "typical boy" as I was told they were. Yet now he's at an all boys school o see such a wide variety of personalities amongst his friends it's lovely.
    Last edited by Sonja; 21-05-2016 at 23:55.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

princessrory  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    My understanding of the higher prevalence of autism in boys is because girls are less likely to be diagnosed.
    I thought this too. Girls are better at masking their symptoms (for want of a better phrase).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (24-05-2016),AdornedWithCats  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @VicPark I feel uncomfortable too. But many things parents do make me uncomfortable. This is one area I now think if it makes everyone happy, and is tightly regulated, with no access to Medicare, then maybe I can live with it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Also on hair colour. Again doesn't this come back to gender? How often is a mans hair colour commented on? Sure his baldness is but his hair colour? Very rare I would hazard a guess.

So the fact a woman feels she's taken less seriously if she's blonde. Do blonde men have the same preconceived ideas against them?

So much comes back to our sex.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (22-05-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sassy Blonde or adorable ginger?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Maybe it depends on what you do for a living and your life choices generally. As a lawyer my hair colours means f--- all. My gender makes my working life incredibly hard for me however.

I agree personality is not dictated by gender. My son is the opposite of a "typical boy" as I was told they were. Yet now he's at an all boys school o see such a wide variety of personalities amongst his friends it's lovely.
    Not so much my career but in day to day life. I get sick of being defined so superficially. And having to live in the shadow of this fantasy my mum had of having a daughter she could dress in pink. Sigh.

I just think gender selection is just setting you up for disappointed when your child decides they aren't going to be sterotypical - that's where I find it problematic. It's reinforcing archaic sterotypes. Which plays into the bigger issue that @Sonja has brought up for women who want careers and to be treated equally in the workplace.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-05-2016),BettyV  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @VicPark I feel uncomfortable too. But many things parents do make me uncomfortable. This is one area I now think if it makes everyone happy, and is tightly regulated, with no access to Medicare, then maybe I can live with it.
    I see your point. My argument to others on the issue of gay marriage is "if you want to stop someone from doing something that makes them incredibly happy you want to have a darned good reason - 'it's not normal' does not cut it."

So based on that logic someone would have to prove the harm to society of gender selection, for me to vote against gender selection in a plebiscite. Still might silently judge the parents, just wouldn't vote against it unless there was hard evidenced that society would be harmed.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Also on hair colour. Again doesn't this come back to gender? How often is a mans hair colour commented on? Sure his baldness is but his hair colour? Very rare I would hazard a guess.

So the fact a woman feels she's taken less seriously if she's blonde. Do blonde men have the same preconceived ideas against them?

So much comes back to our sex.
    According to my brother, hair colour can result in terrible bullying in childhood. But as adults, I don't think people comment on it (men's hair).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Not so much my career but in day to day life. I get sick of being defined so superficially. And having to live in the shadow of this fantasy my mum had of having a daughter she could dress in pink. Sigh.

I just think gender selection is just setting you up for disappointed when your child decides they aren't going to be sterotypical - that's where I find it problematic. It's reinforcing archaic sterotypes. Which plays into the bigger issue that @Sonja has brought up for women who want careers and to be treated equally in the workplace.
    I do agree with your last comment. My son is not into anything really boy related at all. He's got 3 sisters and if anything, apart from music, our house in gender neutral. My 2 eldest girls play one direction every waking moment they're home so he does have an intimate knowledge of boy bands.

But he doesn't get super heroes, cars or trucks, and doesn't really like sport. So if you wanted a boy to take to the park and kick a footy with he'd be a disappointment. He'd be up in the playground with the girls re-enacting scenes from Frozen.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-05-2016),KitiK  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

. He'd be up in the playground with the girls re-enacting scenes from Frozen.
    Would probably get along quite well with my eldest boy.
    Last edited by VicPark; 22-05-2016 at 00:08.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (22-05-2016)