+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All this hypothesising.. About what is right and what is wrong. Does anyone actually know anyone who has had sex selection Ivf. I have a good friend travel to Thailand and did this.. Before the baby Gammy fiasco. Her reasons were that she did not want to continue to have more and more kids to get her precious daughter in a household full of testerosterone. Never would she have aborted an unwanted baby duty to sex.. But didn't want to be in this position either. Interesting enough she didn't think it was appropriate for me to choose the sex of my baby being my first pregnancy. Still to this day only a few people know about how her third child came to be because society has such strong views about it.

I had my overseas donor embie (created using donor eggs and sperm )transferred 2 days ago.. And if sex selection was allowed in South Africa and I had more than 2 blasts total.. I would have had sex selection. But as it is not allowed here.. And My desire for another baby is stronger than the desire for a particular sex as I already have a daughter. If however I had a son first.. And I really wanting a daughter.. I would have been off to the U.S. where both is possible. This would have been significantly more expensive.. But people will find a way ( as I damn well know... All this flying around) To get what they want if they feel strongly about it. Time will tell.. 2ww continues.. But I will be happy either way.. A boy or girl.. to get a bfp after 6 ivf cycles. Xx fingers crossed

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, dp has a friend who went through a Bangkok clinic (they work with genea in Sydney!) to conceive a girl. They did a cycle of IVF and basically are putting the girl embryos back in first. If none of them take, though, they'll put back their boys, as they do want a third but would love a daughter.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    we had a member on bubhub for a while who went to the US for gender selection. It did cost her a lot, but money wasnt an issue for her and she desperately wanted a girl.

It was interesting talking to her about her choices and experiences. Not everyone agreed with her decision, but she was happy with it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are plenty of worse things than people choosing the gender of their children. I have sons and as much as I would love love love a daughter I personally wouldn't undergo IVF just to conceive a girl for gender balancing. I have looked into microsort in the US which increases your chances of conceiving a certain gender but wouldn't take it further than that. But each to their own. I know I wouldn't experience gender disappointed if I ended up with 10 boys as much as I would have loved a daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

So against it (for non-medical reasons)

What is the next step? Selection based on hair/eyes colour, IQ, etc?

If you can accept and welcome any/both gender in your family, you shouldn't probably have any more children.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 21-05-2016 at 21:14.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (22-05-2016),Tinkers  (21-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    So against it (for non-medical reasons)

What is the next step? Selection based on hair/eyes colour, IQ, etc?

If you can accept and welcome any/both gender in your family, you shouldn't probably have any more children.
    Wanting to parent a certain gender is not comparable in the slightest to wanting a child with blonde hair. To even suggest that is offensive i think. It makes it sound as though desiring a daughter or son is completely petty and superficial, which IMO it's not.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (22-05-2016),Clementine Grace  (21-05-2016),ilex  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    Wanting to parent a certain gender is not comparable in the slightest to wanting a child with blonde hair. To even suggest that is offensive i think. It makes it sound as though desiring a daughter or son is completely petty and superficial, which IMO it's not.
    I actually think it is paramount to whether or not one is ready to become a parent (again).

I do understand one can fantasise about a gender but if you're not ready to accept any gender then you shouldn't have more kids.

Eyes/hair colour selection is only the next step, why wouldn't you pick on IQ? Possible ADD? Autism? Etc etc.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fine with it.

To echo someone on the previous thread, as someone who has already had to go through IVF, if I knew the sex of my embryos, what difference would it make to anyone else if I could chose which to put back based on sex?

The answer is nothing. Not one thing.

I am totally against termination based on sex alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I actually think it is paramount to whether or not one is ready to become a parent (again).

I do understand one can fantasise about a gender but if you're not ready to accept any gender then you shouldn't have more kids.

Eyes/hair colour selection is only the next step, why wouldn't you pick on IQ? Possible ADD? Autism? Etc etc.
    Your point about ADD and autism is actually different to your original point about physical characteristics. I read something interesting the other day about women wanting their embryo's tested to see if they have the breast cancer gene (BRAC1 I think it is?) and some bioethicists had a problem with this because not everyone with the gene develops cancer. So therefore if the embryo tests positive for this gene, is this a valid reason to discard an otherwise healthy embryo knowing they have a 30% chance of never getting sick? We are faced with ethical issues all the time with IVF, and yet this technology gives us options. Why wouldn't a couple chose a "normal" embryo over one that say had autism (not that that test exists but say it did), is that any different to those who have CVS to determine if their child has down syndrome? I don't think you can say "well if they aren't willing to accept that they get what they get then they shouldn't have a child" because this is EXACTLY why they are seeking sex selective IVF. They don't just want any child, they want either a boy or a girl. Our gender doesn't define us, but generally speaking it does shape us in a significant way, our personalities and how we relate to people. Unlike our hair or eye colour.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

I believe that autism comes under the group of genetically inherited conditions now and because of the higher prevalence in boys, you can sex select for a girl. If you have 2 or more children with autism.