+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Should gender selection for non medical reasons be legal in Australia

Ok so because the other thread has been taken off course and to avoid further discussion about taking the thread off course...

Here is a general debate it thread. Knock yourselves out.

It's currently being reviewed as part of an overarching review of ART laws in Australia.

So what do you think? It's legal in many countries overseas but not in Australia.

Personally I struggle with it as apart from medical reasons I'm not comfortable about weaning out undesirable characteristics in embryos, be they gender or eye colour. I worry about where it ends.

But I also understand gender disappointment so am honestly not 100% sure where I stand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-05-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's a tricky one. I can totally understand on a personal, individual level why people might be drawn to it. But on a societal/ethical/moral level I struggle with the implications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    as much as its great to have that control/choice, I do think gender selection for non medical reasons is taking it too far. as the op stated, where does it stop.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Even if there are guarantees about the use only for sex selection of an embryo should IVF technology be used for that purpose? Is it ok for parents to pay to choose the sex of their kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am also mixed on this subject.
    For medical reasons then absolutly I agree with gender selection.
    But if its just purely choice because you want a cerain gender when I am uneasy with it.
    I have also had experience with fertility problems and gender dissapointment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am all for gender selection when there is the possibility of a genetic disorder being passed on. I don't agree with it at face value for the purposes of simply wanting a specific gender. I see no difference in that and wanting a child with blue eyes. BUT I have never experienced gender disappointment (I have two boys). Even so, I just don't know that gender disappointment is a reason that would convince me that gender selection is ethically or morally right. I'm very pro science and don't really believe in the universe having a plan or whatever, but I do think that natural sex selection is just part of having a baby.

On the flip side, I see the arguments for it. If I stick with my view that nature should have a say, where do I draw the line? Do I then think that people who can't have children without fertility treatment should remain childless? No. I'm very pro IVF. But I do see the challenges in my belief about gender selection and that there are many shares of grey. I'm curious to see the responses from those who have experienced gender disappointment (beyond the mere wistful thoughts of wondering what life would be like with a boy/girl).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind it for family balancing where one gender heavily outweighs the other (not just to get a pigeon pair) and for those who have had multiple IVF failures. Of course, it would need to be heavily regulated.

There is a technology where they separate the male/female sperm before embryos are created/IUI. I'm much more comfortable with this over PGD of embryos to eliminate it being abused for eye colour etc.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

crt22  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (21-05-2016),Wise Enough  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so undecided about this. I personally would not do this. But like others mentioned - where do you stop?

Do other countries have restrictions? Or is it just if you can pay for it you get it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For the purposes of family balancing alone, I am not sure where I stand. I can't see myself ever wanting to utilize it as I believe on some level the children we have are the ones we are supposed have. I have not experienced gender disappointment however, and just because I wouldn't use it who am I to say others can't?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Even if there are guarantees about the use only for sex selection of an embryo should IVF technology be used for that purpose? Is it ok for parents to pay to choose the sex of their kids?
    This is the other aspect of it that I haven't quite got my thoughts around yet so I'm not quite sure how to phrase it... But it's another scenario which seems to benefit the 'haves' who are privileged to afford what I view to be a luxury (I'm not calling IVF a luxury by any means, please don't get me wrong, but IVF solely for non-medical gender selection would come under that classification in my books).

But then you could apply that argument to fast internet, gourmet food, travel etc. I'm so confused.