+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think tacky is solely the domain of the cheap lol It's really about personal preference. I find the excess of expensive weddings to sometimes be tacky in themselves as I feel we've lost sight of what a wedding is. I would find an OTT horse and carriage way more tacky than bubbles.

But that's really my point. Everyone is different. I feel we had a very classy wedding on a modest budget which suited our personalities. Tacky can happen on any amount you spend imo

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Moxy  (21-05-2016),MsViking  (22-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (22-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think tacky is solely the domain of the cheap lol It's really about personal preference. I find the excess of expensive weddings to sometimes be tacky in themselves as I feel we've lost sight of what a wedding is. I would find an OTT horse and carriage way more tacky than bubbles.

But that's really my point. Everyone is different. I feel we had a very classy wedding on a modest budget which suited our personalities. Tacky can happen on any amount you spend imo
    I was just about to write this. One of the "tackiest" weddings I've been to would have cost a bomb. It was boring and the least enjoyable wedding I've been to. The cheapest one I went to wasn't great food wise, but I had an absolute ball and the music at the reception was awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

oh gosh totally agree. in some ways the loads of coin but zero class type affairs are worse. as they can afford no expense spared so the tack factor is usually amped up to the max 😂

definitely wasn't trying to say only cheap is tacky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How much did your wedding cost...

I should probably clarify...
    My bestie doesn't come on here nor does she know my username if she did. She has no reason to be on bh. I have not given any details of her wedding so she wouldn't pick up on it. If I did mention her transport or anything she would know. I wouldn't do that. I'd never tell her it was seeming tacky. I do think when you buy majority of your stuff from China on eBay (including more important items for your wedding) it's going to look cheap. It is my personal opinion. I have tried and so have her sisters to show her some neat diy decos etc but to her she's 'saving' money by buying things on eBay.
    I love my bestie. 100%. Couldn't care less how she got married as long as she's happy, I do care when I can see she's spending money on things that don't suit each other (completely different styles of weddings) they have had to cater for so many guests that they have to cut costs somewhere. I don't have the heart to tell her but at the same time I probably wouldn't because well it's her wedding.

I do think a beautiful wedding can be done cheaply. I'm HOPING I can pull it off. I do think either end of the scale can look tacky. I'm not saying only cheaper weddings can look tacky.
    I'm just gonna delete my comment. Thanks though. X
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 21-05-2016 at 18:40.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I didn't taken offense Hasselhoff. We all have different styles and tastes and hers isn't yours I just wanted to point out that tacky doesn't have a price tag

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a destination wedding in Thailand with around 50 guests.
    My parents and in laws paid for everything.

Dress (ordered online) + DH suit (made in Thailand) = $300 (bridesmaids and groomsmen chose and paid for their own)
    Resort Package - included wedding planner, flowers and all decorations, food and drink for pre wedding dinner the night before, canapés after the ceremony, followed by dinner and breakfast the next day for all of the guests, villa for DH and I, celebrant, staff on the day, music (we just told them what we liked), hair and make up for me and 2 bridesmaids, fireworks and lanterns) plus accomodation for my parents, brother and SIL and everything we charged to the rooms my Dads total bill was = $8K (I think he topped our wedding planner a couple of hundred too, she was incredible!)
    Honeymoon - Malaysia/ Borneo = $3.5K

We originally planned to get married in Bribsane and I had paid the deposit (2K) at customs house for the reception and when we started adding it up and going the guest list (close to 40 people that we were inviting out of pressure from
    family!) we thought this is crazy! DH said why don't we have the beach wedding we've always wanted in Thailand and six months later we were looking at resorts (on our way to a holiday in Nepal).

We missed out on having some important people at our wedding (including grandparents) and I did have a pang of sadness but honestly it was just perfect, the friends that made the journey we are very close to and have attended their weddings in Africa, Europe and Australia!

I love weddings!!! Three weeks ago we were in Munich Germany for a wedding and this year we have more weddings in Cypruss, Edinburgh (1 in July and 1 in December) and NYC!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    my wedding was about $30k (not including rings or honeymoon) - and that was nearly 20 years ago.

BUT - my parents and IL's paid for all of it. It was their choice, not ours ... and as they paid we kinda just went along with it.

we had about 180 people.
    dress was $900 - veil shoes access etc another $250 or so
    photos $1700

cant remember much else

we certainly would not have paid that much - and I would not have had that many people, it did make it less enjoyable and more stressful - but otherwise it was a nice day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours was approx 12k all up. We eloped overseas so that included our honeymoon, flights accom etc.

Rings $1800 total (including my engagement ring)
    Dress $450
    Suit $450
    Wedding - incl planner, hair and make up, flowers, car, photographer and helicopter ride - approx $4750
    Flights - $1800
    Accom - $3000

Can't think of the other breakdowns, we also took spending money for the honeymoon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Love this thread. DF and I got engaged over Christmas last year and are now expecting our first baby so now idea what's going to happen with wedding planning now.
    We would have loved to have had a big wedding and invite all our friends and family (we had a huge engagement party which cost a fortune), however now with a baby on the way, I can't justify spending so much money on our wedding when that could be spent on our child and buying a house for our kids, etc.

Tips on small weddings? Maybe I'll start a new thread.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

Furmumma  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got married 5 years ago and it cost roughly $25k without honeymoon.

Here is some of the key costs I can remember

- dress $2100 + $450 alterations
    - wedding bands $2000 (mine $1500)
    - reception $12000 ($120 per head included chapel, reception, dj and cake (I made some alts to that)
    - hubbys suit and shoes etc $1000
    - photographer $3600

Those were the big ticket items. Some things I was happy to pay less for other things like photographer I had someone I wanted and didn't mind the cost.

Comes down to each item and what it's worth is to you.