+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why won't they listen to me!! (Induction)

So this is probably my 3rd/4th post in relation to induction in the past 2 months. I'm starting to really struggle emotionally/mentally and even physically. I am becoming physically sick just thinking of all the terrible outcomes, stuck on the side of the road giving birth. Bleeding out on my bathroom floor etc.

My reasons: (as you all probably know already)
    • big baby (35wks avg 38. Her leg bones were measuring 40+2😟)
    • 1 hr drive to hospital and last birth was 1 1/2hrs first contraction to baby born
    • previous shoulder 'mild' distotia (I'm sorry being flipped over by 4 midwives and having your knees jammed up to your ears doesn't seem to mild to me)
    • previous post partum haemorrhage
    • previous pregnancy induced hypertension that is starting to happen again
    • limited options for care of 3 other kids
    • I'm now having awesome panic attacks and anxiety everytime I have a twinge or feel even slightly off

So saw Dr as part of my care at public hospital, he basically told me they won't even consider inducing until 40wks, maybe 39. (He told me 39 like you would tell a 4 yr old we might go to Disney land one day 😒)

They want me to move into 'town' to in-laws. I have three children, husband and I run a dairy and I can't just 'move to town' for 2-3 weeks to sit and wait.
    My mil works 2 jobs, which means I would probably be stuck 15 mins from hospital with 3 kids, giving birth in HER bathroom BY MYSELF.
    At least if I'm on the farm I would have hubby for support and to distract kids.

I'm starting to proper freak out and I don't know what to do now.

My question is: has anyone been able to have a dr/ob actually listen to them and been Induced.

I'm not looking for opinions on induction, just trying to find out if it is ACTUALLY POSSIBLE.

I'm going public, we cannot afford to go private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ask to speak to the hospitals patient representative and request a psych assesment and a new Ob for a second opinion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

kezty  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi. I'm sorry you are going through this. When you had your appt did you explain your thoughts clearly? All the things you have listed above. Or do you get flustered and upset and find it hard to communicate? I'm asking this to try to understand if the OB has heard your concerns but disagrees about the risk OR if the OB has not really heard and understood all of your personal and obstetric history. This will make a difference in how and with whom I would take my next steps. Oh and how many weeks are you?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Ask to speak to the hospitals patient representative and request a psych assesment and a new Ob for a second opinion.
    Do you think I could just call the patient rep to start with??
    I have another app on Tuesday (at 37+2, that I had to demand as they weren't going to see me until 38/39wks)
    So I might be able to organise the extra app then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kezty View Post
    Do you think I could just call the patient rep to start with??
    I have another app on Tuesday (at 37+2, that I had to demand as they weren't going to see me until 38/39wks)
    So I might be able to organise the extra app then?
    I have been private both times so I can't say sorry. I just know that the service is available. I would say calling now to try and organise something prior would be beneficial though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hi. I'm sorry you are going through this. When you had your appt did you explain your thoughts clearly? All the things you have listed above. Or do you get flustered and upset and find it hard to communicate? I'm asking this to try to understand if the OB has heard your concerns but disagrees about the risk OR if the OB has not really heard and understood all of your personal and obstetric history. This will make a difference in how and with whom I would take my next steps. Oh and how many weeks are you?
    Definitely got my point across. I have been trying saying the same thing for the last 2 app, but until the growth scan which I had on Friday, they said they wouldn't even consider talking about it.
    He acted as if I was just another 'over it' pregnant women.
    He 'had a chat' to the big Boss who offered the 39wks. And I'm honestly thinking of call hospital and asking if I can have an appointment with him on Tues so he can actually see me as a person rather than a list on a piece of paper.
    I'm not looking to be Induced now (36+5), but 38 wks would put my mind at ease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would try to have your appt with the 'big boss'. Not sure the best way to go about this. At my hospital all the different OBs work in clinic on different days so you would just find out the day that the 'big boss' is working and make your appt on that day. I would also consider trying to have a meeting with the senior midwife. Have your concerns written down. And talk through each one. Ask that they are also documented in writing in your notes. This senior midwife may be able to come to your OB appt and help advocate for you.
    In my hospital an appt with the social worker to discuss the impact this is having on your mental health and family situation can also help.

X

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

kezty  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try to be open to listening to them as well. Perhaps there is good reason that they don't think you are suitable for induction. Are they giving you reasons for the current plan of care? A 38 week induction increases your chance of a csection and increased bubs chance of needing help to be admitted to special care. Perhaps an induction at 39 weeks reduces these risks but still makes it unlikely for you to go into spontaneous labour at home and not make it to hospital.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So just rang antenatal. They have booked me in with yhe senior consultant! One win down. Will see how I go then, and if they still aren't listening I will chat to social worker etc.
    Thanks for the advice. I feel I'm being a bit more proactive and will hopefully have some better answers...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (20-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-05-2016),RedCreamingSoda  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps a consumer advocacy organisation such as Maternity Choices Australia might be able to help you out?