+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I would be happy for dd to participate in a program like this. Kids need to be comfortable using technology and learning about integrating it into their learning.

Go to the info session with an open mind and remember that tech will dominate their employment options

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-05-2016),PomPoms  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is nothing wrong with a little bit of screen time, I just dont feel it is necessary in the classroom, & I limit the use of screens at home. Most sources (American academy of paediatrics & australian reputable sources,too) will say no more than 2 hours per day of screen time for a school aged child.
    http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/articles/screen_time.html
    If a school child is engaging in ipad use for 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day at school, that adds up to around 2.5-3 hours a week of screen time at school alone. I just feel the time can be better spent when at school. I know it can be done well, I also know it can be an out for 'lazy teaching' (I say this as a teacher myself - I know there are good and bad teachers. The good ones will use it well. The bad ones will use it to be lazy). Too much screen time has been shown time and time again to impact children socially, physically, and cognitively. Emotionally too, but probably not with the content used at school. I just personally dont want my child engaging in ipad time for their learning. It's not for my family. I guess my educational philosophy isnt totally main******! I think it's absolutely up to you what you want and feel comfortable with,OP. I know if every other kid in my child's class used an ipad in school, I would feel bad for her to miss out, so it is a tough one. At the end of the day, my personal feelings would be to probably accept it if I were in a school that were pushing for it, even though I wouldnt like it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Tell me about your child's ipad program at school

At the school I work at in year 1/2 we use the iPads for things like getting the children to record themselves reading their familiar reading book so they can see/hear their own reading, typing in their personalised spelling words, type up sentences using words from the word wall, reading eggs, mathletics, heaps of other things.

But this wouldn't be longer than a 10 minute activity as part of their morning literacy session.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a little bit of screen time, I just dont feel it is necessary in the classroom, & I limit the use of screens at home. Most sources (American academy of paediatrics & australian reputable sources,too) will say no more than 2 hours per day of screen time for a school aged child.
    http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/arti...reen_time.html
    If a school child is engaging in ipad use for 15 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day at school, that adds up to around 2.5-3 hours a week of screen time at school alone. I just feel the time can be better spent when at school. I know it can be done well, I also know it can be an out for 'lazy teaching' (I say this as a teacher myself - I know there are good and bad teachers. The good ones will use it well. The bad ones will use it to be lazy). Too much screen time has been shown time and time again to impact children socially, physically, and cognitively. Emotionally too, but probably not with the content used at school. I just personally dont want my child engaging in ipad time for their learning. It's not for my family. I guess my educational philosophy isnt totally main******! I think it's absolutely up to you what you want and feel comfortable with,OP. I know if every other kid in my child's class used an ipad in school, I would feel bad for her to miss out, so it is a tough one. At the end of the day, my personal feelings would be to probably accept it if I were in a school that were pushing for it, even though I wouldnt like it!
    It probably does come down to educational philosophy Catholic schools would easily spend 2-3 hours a week on religious studies which I, personally think is a waste of school time. That isn't a dig at religious people or those that send their kids private, just that everyone has different ideas of what constitutes the best use of class time.

Our school has 4 per classroom, so they rotate for lit, maths, research skills etc I would estimate no more than an hour a week. For me, that's a really good balance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think it's partly that it's almost become trendy to be anti technology with kids and also that many don't really understand how they are used in the class room.
    Bit like the anti vax movement

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    It probably does come down to educational philosophy Catholic schools would easily spend 2-3 hours a week on religious studies which I, personally think is a waste of school time. That isn't a dig at religious people or those that send their kids private, just that everyone has different ideas of what constitutes the best use of class time.

Our school has 4 per classroom, so they rotate for lit, maths, research skills etc I would estimate no more than an hour a week. For me, that's a really good balance.
    Yes, I think an hour per week,spread out over small increments would not be too bad.

Definitely agree with the religious element. My kids go to a religious school & spend at least 30 minutes per day in focussed devotional studies, often more. In fact, it is just integral to everything they do. So obviously it is something I highly value - but someone who didnt value religion in education would be peeved at the huge waste of time. I'm glad we have schools with different philosophies to suit our families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    My boy is in year 1 as well. I'm ok with the mathletics / reading eggs usage or what not, but I don't like the idea of having to purchase an iPad for year 1, that seems overkill to me.

What does the program entail OP? I'm curious?
    I don't actually know yet until the info evening! Will update when I've been 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See, I don't mind him using it for a short period per day during his English rotations. Or again for a short period in the afternoon. I guess what has me worried is a friend at another school close by says they use the ipad for 40 mins out of every hour of the school day. For me, that'd way too much for little ones. So im hoping my school is not the same! Small blocks I can handle. I'm just worried about it building up too much