+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about your child's ipad program at school

DS is in Prep and they are already talking about a three year ipad program to start from year 1.

I am very hesitant, as I do not want him on it for large parts of the day. I'm quite conscious about screen time.

I'm going to an information evening at school next month, and the program is optional, but would love to hear other experiences, as parents and teachers, about ipad programs. The benefits and limitations.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    A good teacher uses technology to complement, not overshadow their teaching. They are not on it for large parts of the day at our school, but short targeted blocks. There are heaps of pros to using ipads. Boys tend to be visual learners and maths games can be really good at visually showing concepts. They can still do group work with them. Use them to research for projects. There is also a component in stage 2 of learning about sending emails etc so tangible skills.

It's not kids just sitting playing games on them 6 hours a day. A vast majority of my kid's day is still face to face teaching, group work with their peers etc. I think maybe schools generally need to better educate how they use these devices.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I would not participate. I do not agree with technology being used as a teaching tool in that age group at school - in fact I am quite vehemently opposed 😏 whether they use it for 30 minutes or 6 hours a day.

Certainly go to the information evening and you will decide what is best for your family. However as far as I am concerned it is unnecessary.

You only need to look at the fact that some of the top executives from major tech companies (for example CEO of communications at Google) are sending their children to tech free schools. What does that tell you?

Bit of a touchy subject for me 😄

Edit - whoops! Just saw you would like comments from parents whose young kids are using tech in school and I just jumped right on in on my soap box!! Sorry!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS started kindergarten this year, they all have iPads, they are used twice a week, mainly as pp said for Mathletics or reading eggs or last week which was great they all walked around the school taking photos of buildings for their unit of enquiry on how things are built , they don't sit on them all day and play games, it really can be a great learning tool
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1463715164.380264.jpg

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (20-05-2016),PomPoms  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is in Prep (first year of full time school) and they don't need to all have an iPad, but they do use them in the classroom. Each child has a session on reading eggs once a week (approx 20 -30mins) and also mathletics once a week or so. I haven't seen them used at other times, but they might be! I don't have an issue with short periods of technology in the classroom.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One of the reasons I chose my child's school is because of low 'screen time', we don't have ipads in the lower primary grades. We do whole class technology (interactive whiteboard) in grades prep-3, & then limited individual & class technology sessions with laptops in grades 4-7. Ipads or laptops for each child begin in grade 8+. I absolutely would not support my 5 year old using an ipad at school. Studies are showing that kids have an average of 5 hours 'screen time' a day in australia, my 5yo would have up to 1 hour a day, which I think is more than enough.
    Sorry, I hope it's ok for me to answer,even though it's in the 'negative'. Its an issue parents (and teachers!) tend to feel strogly about, but I guess it depends on what fits in with your family & beliefs about schooling & what is right for you. Even though I personally dislike ipads in lower primary years, I totally accept that they can be used very well to enhance the curriculum. (They can also be used very badly too!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. He's said he already uses one at school, they do some reading on it with head phones as part of their daily English rotations. But this is a 1:1 program. It starts in year 1 and year 4, each lasting 3 years. We have to actually purchase an ipad for him to participate. Which isn't easy for us.
    One thing its crucial I ask is how much of the day he'd be on it for.
    He does reading eggs at home anyway, and would be on our tablet or my phone playing games a lot if I let him. He gets it once a day for about 20 mins. So I can just feel the technology use building on us. I'm doing my best to limit it. He's already heard about the program and wants one (of course!) so it would be hard to disappoint him but probably much more appropriate in year 4, if at all.
    Will wait to hear how it's used at the information evening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Thank you. He's said he already uses one at school, they do some reading on it with head phones as part of their daily English rotations. But this is a 1:1 program. It starts in year 1 and year 4, each lasting 3 years. We have to actually purchase an ipad for him to participate. Which isn't easy for us.
    One thing its crucial I ask is how much of the day he'd be on it for.
    He does reading eggs at home anyway, and would be on our tablet or my phone playing games a lot if I let him. He gets it once a day for about 20 mins. So I can just feel the technology use building on us. I'm doing my best to limit it. He's already heard about the program and wants one (of course!) so it would be hard to disappoint him but probably much more appropriate in year 4, if at all.
    Will wait to hear how it's used at the information evening.
    My boy is in year 1 as well. I'm ok with the mathletics / reading eggs usage or what not, but I don't like the idea of having to purchase an iPad for year 1, that seems overkill to me.

What does the program entail OP? I'm curious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Sounds like a great plan. My 4 year old is learning heaps by using the I pad at preschool. Activities are well thought out and even things that appear to be 'games' or 'fluff' have a hidden educational agenda/benefit. Traditional lessons don't always work for DS either.

I'm not sure what all the anti I-pad fuss is about as long as there is moderation. Does it really matter if you learn the ABC's from an I-pad? Or a book? Or a whiteboard? (I'm sure people thought they were evil when they first came out too)? Blocks? Reading signs at the shops? a plain on chalk board? Does it reaaaaallllllllllly matter?

It's the 21st century - god bless the I-pad. And TV for that matter too.
    Last edited by VicPark; 20-05-2016 at 15:40.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (20-05-2016),Elijahs Mum  (20-05-2016),Joeee  (20-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

I'm not sure what all the anti I-pad fuss is about as long as there is moderation.
    I think it's partly that it's almost become trendy to be anti technology with kids and also that many don't really understand how they are used in the class room.

In some low SES schools, their only experience with an ipad is at school. The world is becoming technology based and not providing these opportunities is seen as an equity issue in education circles.

Ironically I find those that are most against it have ipads at home, have a smart phone they use every day, have netflix connected etc.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

JR03  (20-05-2016),nicole83  (20-05-2016)