+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Was I OTT?

I'm worried I'm turning into one of THOSE mums....

I went to drop 3yo dd to daycare. She's still slowly settling in.
    I am currently on mat leave so it's more for my benefit.
    Not one of her regular carers were there. I noticed a few casuals on. The director was also helping out. I stayed for 30 minutes playing with her, nobody came near us, still no familiar staff. There was no staff meeting happening (I asked if there was).
    When I left dd 1laid face down with her blankie on the grass right in the middle of the playground as she was getting upset.
    I stood and watched from the car park and after 15 minutes nobody still had been near her.
    So I went back in and took her home.

Now I'm starting to feel a bit silly about taking her home, maybe I panicked a bit? Oh and she's annoying the hell out of me now.

Was I being OTT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How upsetting for you. If it were me I would have gone in and asked firmly but politely that one of the carers help her. But in your shoes being on maternity leave and being the sook I am I would have probably done the same thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think you overreacted. It's company policy to be met and settled in. If that didn't happen, aside from anything else, then that's a clear problem.
    Ok they were obviously having staffing concerns, but that's no excuse imho.

I probably wouldn't have taken her home, but I would have made a stand there and then. Yours was much more passive lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have a huge amount of experience with child care but that's not something I would be happy about. I understand they can't have one on one care all the time but I would hate to see my child ignored for that long even if they weren't upset. I don't know about your situation where you are with regards to child care options but my ds1 who is now 2.5 years goes to family day care one day a week and absolutely loves it. The lady is lovely, she's very professional and emails a journal at the end of the day with photos and learning objectives that the children have met and it's nice to know that as she's on her own she is giving the children 100% of her attention, not sitting around chatting to others etc. It's not a situation I would initially have thought about as I liked the structure of a regular day care which is where he went when he was younger and I went back to work, but then as he was younger the staff ratio was less so I felt happy that he was watched and given a lot of attention.
    I know it can be hard getting places in child care but it sounds like you've not been happy with hers since the start (I seem to remember her place was given to someone else when you first turned up). It's a huge deal leaving your kids with somebody else and you need to feel totally confident that she is well looked after and happy. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope not OTT. Seems like you just followed your mama gut/instinct. Best to have her with you (even if she's driving you nuts) and know all is well than worry and wonder about it all day. I would bring it up next time you go in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not OTT, I would have done the same. Are they usually really good at the daycare centre?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You did the right thing, how awful to watch your daughter distressed and not one person go to her I would have done the exact same thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Your daughter definitely shouldn't have been ignored. However staff may have been already busy settling other children, supervising, nappy changes etc. maybe next time take her up to a staff member and ask for some help with drop off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Not OTT, I would have done the same. Are they usually really good at the daycare centre?
    Yes they are. That's why I hung around there for so long as it was the first time we weren't greeted by one of her carers.

I didn't want to make a fuss as in my line of work I know what it's like when regular staff are on leave or sick. I felt it was just for the best to take her home than leave her with staff she wasn't familiar with.

She has no friends, she only interacts with the carers and is never in any photos participating in activities but she always tells me she has a good time and is (mostly) happy to go so that's good enough for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope not OTT and I would have done the same.