+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 201
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    3,127
    Thanked
    6,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default I want to buy branded milk but...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    This link may help:

    http://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/br...at=455&type=15

    It lists country of origin of the companies that own the brands and ranks by ethical practices.

    Smaller producers are missing eg Maleny Dairies are local to SEQ but not on the list.

    I've bought A2 milk for years but am not happy that it is a NZ company. I will give Maleny Dairies unhomogenised milk a go.
    78% of the a2 milk co is owned by freedom foods and arrovest Corp which are Australian owned companies 😃

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    781
    Thanked
    776
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    78% of the a2 milk co is owned by freedom foods and arrovest Corp which are Australian owned companies ������
    Thanks. I wonder why they are listed as NZ owned then?

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    3,127
    Thanked
    6,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A2 milk co is a NZ company but the 2 Aussie companies own most of it!

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,966
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked
    2,303
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Thanks. I wonder why they are listed as NZ owned then?
    The website says that only 18% is owned by Freedom Foods (well 18% of the A2 company). States that it has been like that since 2010.

    For the record - I have no idea and too tired to research lol.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    686
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    0
    I buy coles brand,
    frankly it comes from the same two companies as the branded stuff, these companies pay the same price per liter no matter what brand you buy,
    all branded milk does is put a higher profit into coles and the companies that buy the raw milk,

    the pressure needs to be put on THEM (either by the people or the government) to pay a set lowest amount, do you think they'll care that their profits suddenly jump? do you think it'll make them willing to pay more per liter for the raw milk?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (21-05-2016)

  7. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    3,127
    Thanked
    6,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    The website says that only 18% is owned by Freedom Foods (well 18% of the A2 company). States that it has been like that since 2010.

    For the record - I have no idea and too tired to research lol.
    I found this:
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1463746905.436805.jpg

  8. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    3,127
    Thanked
    6,324
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default I want to buy branded milk but...

    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I found this:
    Attachment 81364
    So it is 18% and the other company owns 60% of the them! ( I read it wrong) but is made here from Aussie cows and farms
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 20-05-2016 at 22:29.

  9. #78
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,026
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    So, the way the dairy industry works is some guy in a suit crunches some numbers, predicts how much milk solids will be required in the future, depending on demand by consumer and international buyers, and then sets a price for the farmers per kg of milk solids.
    Now- if they have predicted x amount will be needed and only y amount sells- everyone is in the shiz because they don't make enough coin to pay the famers and so farm gate prices have to be lowered. (Despite the massive company profits. Don't get me started on that. The way MG has been mismanaged since newly retired CEO was employed reads like a "how to" of running a perfectly good business into the ground.)
    So. This is why it's important we support brand names. Even if that brand name is produced by MG or fonterra. The farmers are locked into contracts with these companies and can't just shop around for a better deal on their product. If the companies don't make a certain amount, it will become even worse for the farmers. The farmers are who I feel for.
    I live in a heavily dairy populated area. And there are milk factories a plenty. The farmers are on suicide watch. We've lost at least 7 this week already. So but branded dairy for them. Even if it's produced by fonterra or MG.
    I personally always buy branded milk- I don't actually notice a difference in taste, it's just because it's always been known around here that $1 per litre milk prices were never going to do good things for the dairy industry.

    ...that's my take on it anyway. It's a huge and complex issue with layers of contributing factors so I fully accept if I have got the facts wrong.

    As for local milk op- it depends on where exactly you live. I'm in vic too but my local milk could be different to your local milk

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (21-05-2016),BettyV  (21-05-2016),binnielici  (21-05-2016),Koarlo  (21-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (21-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

  11. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,064
    Thanks
    2,315
    Thanked
    1,392
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    So, the way the dairy industry works is some guy in a suit crunches some numbers, predicts how much milk solids will be required in the future, depending on demand by consumer and international buyers, and then sets a price for the farmers per kg of milk solids.
    Now- if they have predicted x amount will be needed and only y amount sells- everyone is in the shiz because they don't make enough coin to pay the famers and so farm gate prices have to be lowered. (Despite the massive company profits. Don't get me started on that. The way MG has been mismanaged since newly retired CEO was employed reads like a "how to" of running a perfectly good business into the ground.)
    So. This is why it's important we support brand names. Even if that brand name is produced by MG or fonterra. The farmers are locked into contracts with these companies and can't just shop around for a better deal on their product. If the companies don't make a certain amount, it will become even worse for the farmers. The farmers are who I feel for.
    I live in a heavily dairy populated area. And there are milk factories a plenty. The farmers are on suicide watch. We've lost at least 7 this week already. So but branded dairy for them. Even if it's produced by fonterra or MG.
    I personally always buy branded milk- I don't actually notice a difference in taste, it's just because it's always been known around here that $1 per litre milk prices were never going to do good things for the dairy industry.

    ...that's my take on it anyway. It's a huge and complex issue with layers of contributing factors so I fully accept if I have got the facts wrong.

    As for local milk op- it depends on where exactly you live. I'm in vic too but my local milk could be different to your local milk
    Did you say that seven farmers have committed suicide this week?
    😢😢😢

  12. #80
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,026
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Did you say that seven farmers have committed suicide this week?
    😢😢😢
    Yes. Maybe more now.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Does my 2 year old *need* milk?
    By HeavenBlue in forum 2 year olds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-04-2016, 21:43
  2. Solids before milk
    By Leksie5000 in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-04-2016, 02:24
  3. How much food is enough & milk
    By Nafsika in forum Toddlers (1 year olds)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-08-2015, 22:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
LCF Fun Languages Australia
We offer foreign language lessons for children 2-12 yrs in French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian or German as after-school and preschool clubs or private language tuition. This is play-based, full immersion language learning with proven results!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!