+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely do the research. Mungali and Highland Organics are not co-OP's. They actually produce, process, package and distribute their dairy products themselves locally.

They both also make cheeses and yoghurt. Mungali does use a distributor for their yoghurt as you can even buy it down here at speciality stores!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a list of brands that we should buy? Or a website to find brands to buy in local areas?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We use about 10L of milk a week. I don't think we could afford to buy branded milk. We usually get Aldi milk - so no idea who produces that.
    We use milk for coffee, tea and cereal, and dh occasional has a glass. We don't even buy soft drink. :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    We are a family of 6 and would be lucky to drink 6 litres of milk a week. I actually don't like milk as a product as I think we drink way more as a country than we need to. I also feel a bit icky about the whole ethical treatment of dairy cows (slaughter of male calves, damage to the female cows from constantly producing milk etc). I gave up dairy once years ago and never felt better.

So I try and discourage my kids from drinking too much of it.
    Agree 100%! I find milk pretty gross, and the treatment of dairy cows and bobby calves horrible. I stopped drinking it ages ago. I only started up while pregnant because black coffee was too much. We only use it for coffee, and prefer almond milk for cereal / muesli etc.

I certainly won't be weaning DS on to cow's milk if I can help it.

Now cheese is a different story altogether - but I tend to prefer goat / sheep over cow.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-05-2016),Elijahs Mum  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1463734960.017834.jpg
    All the Devondale is gone. Looks like no milk for my kids til next month 😏 Yay to a few long nights with Mr2 who won't sleep without milk before bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Branded here but that's because it's lactose free and the Coles/Woolies ones are horrid and don't mix into coffee properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got the $2 one from our IGA today and read the fine print - made by Parmalat.

I thought the local milk (at twice the price seemed very watery and blue looking - like skim milk (I like skim milk strangely enough). It is labelled "low fat", it's non homogenised, so I guess the only way to make non hom milk reduced fat is to skim off the cream. The nutrition panel shows much lower fat than 'lite'. Interesting.

Doing some searching and looks like Gippy milk might be an option at around $3.40 2l. More costly but not such a ridiculous jump. I didn't see it last time I was at woolies though (have seen it there before).

I might also just aim for 1-2 bottles of local milk per week. That way I'm supporting as much as everyone who only buys local but only drinks a couple of litres a week. How's that for Friday night logic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1463735554.782465.jpg

Saw this on Facebook. Haven't properly researched as I haven't had time so it's nice to have a little go to guide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This link may help:

http://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/br...at=455&type=15

It lists country of origin of the companies that own the brands and ranks by ethical practices.

Smaller producers are missing eg Maleny Dairies are local to SEQ but not on the list.

I've bought A2 milk for years but am not happy that it is a NZ company. I will give Maleny Dairies unhomogenised milk a go.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 20-05-2016 at 19:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babymummatobe View Post
    Attachment 81361

Saw this on Facebook. Haven't properly researched as I haven't had time so it's nice to have a little go to guide.
    But that is the 'big' brands some owned by dairy producers who have cut the price they pay the farmers. There are no small brands there.