+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We are a family of 6 and would be lucky to drink 6 litres of milk a week. I actually don't like milk as a product as I think we drink way more as a country than we need to. I also feel a bit icky about the whole ethical treatment of dairy cows (slaughter of male calves, damage to the female cows from constantly producing milk etc). I gave up dairy once years ago and never felt better.

So I try and discourage my kids from drinking too much of it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-05-2016),deku  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have switched to a2 milk and have also noticed a difference with dd's eczema since changing. And Nimbin cheese (it is so good)
    If a family needs to buy a large amount of milk a week then go for it, I dont really pay attention to what's in a person's trolley.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    [QUOTE=Sonja;8484641]

While I agree with the general view of your post that if you genuinely can't afford branded milk then no on should judge, is it really ok that people should spend money on heavily marketed products like coke at the sake of saving our farming industry and not have those choices challenged?

Not saying you make those choices I just see this as having far reaching consequences for the economy so to the extent we can make better choices shouldn't we?

/QUOTE]

I don't see that fact someone is poor and has to buy the cheaper product that they automatically should give up the right to any luxuries. Being freaking poor is hard enough with out someone challenging you on the fact you brought a coke or a chocolate etc... Instead if name brand milk or organic free range eggs...
    I personally find the idea of singling out people that have to buy home brand and questioning their choice disgusting. But hey I am poor and I have to but home brand to keep my family alive and on occasions buy a diet coke and chocolate.

Yes I understand the overall economic reasons. I come from a farming family. I personally sell fruit on the side of the road. I truly get the buy local idea and I support it.

I just get so peeved that the poor get judged and pick apart on for every cent the spend.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (20-05-2016),DT75  (20-05-2016),Joeee  (20-05-2016),Meld85  (27-05-2016),Nemmi1987  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=LoveLivesHere;8484701]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

While I agree with the general view of your post that if you genuinely can't afford branded milk then no on should judge, is it really ok that people should spend money on heavily marketed products like coke at the sake of saving our farming industry and not have those choices challenged?

Not saying you make those choices I just see this as having far reaching consequences for the economy so to the extent we can make better choices shouldn't we?

/QUOTE]

I don't see that fact someone is poor and has to buy the cheaper product that they automatically should give up the right to any luxuries. Being freaking poor is hard enough with out someone challenging you on the fact you brought a coke or a chocolate etc... Instead if name brand milk or organic free range eggs...
    I personally find the idea of singling out people that have to buy home brand and questioning their choice disgusting. But hey I am poor and I have to but home brand to keep my family alive and on occasions buy a diet coke and chocolate.

Yes I understand the overall economic reasons. I come from a farming family. I personally sell fruit on the side of the road. I truly get the buy local idea and I support it.

I just get so peeved that the poor get judged and pick apart on for every cent the spend.
    Ok fair enough. I was only raising it for a conversation not to single anyone out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Exactly Sonja! I find buying eggs so hard now as most of 'free range' marketed eggs are not free range at all. I stand there for ages each time trying to remember the names of the good ones. I probably get it wrong.
    There's a really good )free) app from choice you can use- just scan the egg carton there and then and it'll tell you whether the brand is genuinely free range or not. It's called CluckAR

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitRose For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (20-05-2016),Clementine Grace  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    I have got to ask, how you guys use so much milk each week? Do you have lots of kids who drink it as a drink? Purely curious, I hiss can't imagine how we could even come close to using so much!
    DH drinks the most. I really notice it when he is away. His big bowl of cereal in the morning probably uses a full cup, he has another big cup before bed, a morning latte and a protein shake some days - he gets through close to a litre a day himself. DS and sometimes DD have a cup before bed, then there's cereal, coffees, cooking, smoothies/protein shakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    [QUOTE=Sonja;8484728]
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post

Ok fair enough. I was only raising it for a conversation not to single anyone out.
    I am not mad at you. You weren't the first poster to make the remark. You certainly put it in a nicer way.

I just don't think it's a conversation worth having if it make poorer people feel worse for being poor. Iykim.

If it a general discussion about choosing to buy local than that's great. But singling out people who have to buy home brand and picking apart what else they buy. Is the problem
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 20-05-2016 at 17:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=LoveLivesHere;8484732]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I am not mad at you. You weren't the first poster to make the remark. You certainly put it in a nicer way.

I just don't think it's a conversation worth having if it make poorer people feel worse for being poor. Iykim.
    @LoveLivesHere I think the person you are referring to was me. I'm sorry if I offended you. I wasn't referring to a coke or chocolate as a treat but more to people who buy huge amounts of it over ethical/ morally high grade milk or eggs. It is a personal choice and I fully get the need for a treat sometimes.

I feel incredibly lucky to have the luxury of being able to buy whatever milk I want without worry about cost, I know this is not the norm for everyone.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    I know for me and many others we are talking about local independent producers. In QLD, Maleny Dairy, Barrambah, 4real milk. These are owned and processed by the farms without the middle man.

I'm not 100% sure what the benefit of buying dairy farmers or devondale is compared to this.
    @delirium this is what I was referring to also. In FNQ we purchased Mungali milk (after contacting them and finding out whether they were a co-operative and what they do with their bobby calves).

Here in ACT we buy Highlands Organics - produced in the Southern Highlands of NSW. Not as close as Tilba milk, however it is not organic and is homogenised (I have issues with homogenisation - but that's a whole other topic!). Again I contacted the Highlands dairy to find out a few things before deciding on their brand.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So these co-ops are owned by the farmers? Can someone explain how they work? I buy cheap milk, but only bc I thought what I posted - that either way they scr@wed the farmers over.

I might have to do my own research.