+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It's done so all the small farmers can't compete, the other bigger farmers are then bought or locked into contracts by Coles and woollies to supply milk at set prices , then once they have the monopoly they will raise their prices and the consumer will be forced to pay it as we have unconsciously sent the other farmers out of business years before , they are doing the same with bread and meat and have already done with many other products, yes it's cheaper short term but long term the consumer and farmers will be held hostage to these supermarkets, if a farmer says no who else will buy their milk?

30 years ago there were 30,000 milk farms, now there are 7,500 , it's worrying how many will be left in another 30 years

No not everyone can afford to buy more expensive milk but some of us who can should try and support these industries while we are able and I think a lot of consumers don't realise how badly controlled our food industry is
    👍👍👍👍

Exactly this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    I buy on average 35 ltrs of milk a week. My budget is tight. I choose to spend my money on home brand milk so I can get different luxuries. I am perfectly fine with that. We all have to work out what works best for our own families. Judging people out in the real world who struggle to put food on the table on weather or not the buy home brand or a branded milk seem stupid to me.
    If you can afford it. Great. The local farmers appreciate it. Just remember not everyone is in your position and if they choose to buy something else eg. soft drink or water. Don't be a b1tch and judge them out loud. Keep your outrage to yourself.
    I'm really conflicted on this issue coming from dairy farming background.

While I agree with the general view of your post that if you genuinely can't afford branded milk then no on should judge, is it really ok that people should spend money on heavily marketed products like coke at the sake of saving our farming industry and not have those choices challenged?

Not saying you make those choices I just see this as having far reaching consequences for the economy so to the extent we can make better choices shouldn't we?

It's so hard. One of the so called independent milk companies here in WA has just been outed for exploiting small dairy farmers so it's very hard to make good choices.

After the Swan valley eggs disaster I feel we as consumers are just being lied to so often we stop believing anyone.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (20-05-2016),binnielici  (20-05-2016),Clementine Grace  (22-05-2016),harvs  (21-05-2016),JR03  (20-05-2016),kbf2plus2  (21-05-2016),Purple Poppy  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Exactly Sonja! I find buying eggs so hard now as most of 'free range' marketed eggs are not free range at all. I stand there for ages each time trying to remember the names of the good ones. I probably get it wrong.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to buy branded milk from now on. We usually buy branded milk for me (zymill or liddels lactose free) but i usually buy homebrand for the kids and they only use 2lt per week. Plus we have a good income so the extra $2 or so doesnt really matter to our overall groceries budget. As a PP said, i spend extra on free range eggs, why wouldnt I consider doing that for a farmer?

I think this campaign might be useful for families such as us to be conscience of our decision and think to ourselves 'actually we can afford this', instead of just always choosing cheapest option. And I feel like its families such as us changing which might help make the difference instead of those who cant afford to change, feel guilty (not saying anyone here is).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have got to ask, how you guys use so much milk each week? Do you have lots of kids who drink it as a drink? Purely curious, I hiss can't imagine how we could even come close to using so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Exactly Sonja! I find buying eggs so hard now as most of 'free range' marketed eggs are not free range at all. I stand there for ages each time trying to remember the names of the good ones. I probably get it wrong.
    @Barnaby try the app CluckAR. It only has the bigger brands but it's handy if buying supermarket eggs.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (20-05-2016),JR03  (20-05-2016),Wise Enough  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So no one jump down my throat as I admit I don't fully understand how the dairy industry works - But by doing this, are we simply lining the pockets of Devondale rather than Coles, who is equally ripping off the farmers - they just add more cost onto the consumer as well?

My understanding is the manufacturing dairy businesses are also paying farmers appalling prices for their milk just as Coles and Woolies do. The only difference is instead of making 50c a L profit, they are making $2.50.

It seems what needs to happen is that there needs to be a minimum price set per litre that farmers are paid.
    Last edited by delirium; 20-05-2016 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    I have got to ask, how you guys use so much milk each week? Do you have lots of kids who drink it as a drink? Purely curious, I hiss can't imagine how we could even come close to using so much!
    We drink 2L a day, 2 primary aged kids, 1 12 month old, 2 adults. It's easy done. Milk on cereal in the morning, milk in coffee or tea. DH has a protein shake with milk after his workout each night. The kids like a hot chocolate for bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    We go through more than we used to (maybe 6-7L a week now). There is me, DH, DS (3) and a newborn DD.

I have a coffee most days now I am on mat leave. This is a proper coffee made with a coffee machine so is a cup of milk. DS has a 'babycino' when I do.

On the weekend DH and I both have coffees. Sometimes multiple. And milk in tea. And sometimes we make a chai latte.

Milk on cereal and in cooking/baking.

When not on mat leave we use less as I do not have a coffee every morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    So no one jump down my throat as I admit I don't fully understand how the dairy industry works - But by doing this, are we simply lining the pockets of Devondale rather than Coles, who is equally ripping off the farmers - they just add more cost onto the consumer as well?

My understanding is the manufacturing dairy businesses are also paying farmers appalling prices for their milk just as Coles and Woolies do. The only difference is instead of making 50c a L profit, they are making $2.50.

It seems what needs to happen is that there needs to be a minimum price set per litre that farmers are paid.
    I know for me and many others we are talking about local independent producers. In QLD, Maleny Dairy, Barrambah, 4real milk. These are owned and processed by the farms without the middle man.

I'm not 100% sure what the benefit of buying dairy farmers or devondale is compared to this.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-05-2016),binnielici  (20-05-2016),delirium  (20-05-2016),KitiK  (20-05-2016)