+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I buy locally sourced branded milk it costs about $4.60 for 2L. I personally think this is really important for animal welfare as well as the farmers. It also in my opinion tastes much better.

I think it is very morally questionable for supermarkets to sell milk so cheaply that dairy farmers can't afford to survive. I feel the same about meat and fruit/veg as well and wherever possible buy those from small producers at the markets.

On the other hand I know not everybody can pay that much for milk. My sisters family drink 15+ litres of milk a week and buying cheap milk isn't really optional.

What makes me annoyed is seeing people with $1 a litre milk in their trolley and then litres of expensive branded soft drink or even water!!!!

I think if it's an option people should 100% by locally sourced ethical milk but I totally get many people can't.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (20-05-2016),BettyW  (20-05-2016),Clementine Grace  (22-05-2016),Gentoo  (20-05-2016),GingerKat  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Personally I only buy local/organic but we only go through 2-3L a week so I don't mind paying $4-$5 for a 2L bottle. Not everyone can afford that.
    Whoa, 2L of organic milk is $8 down here. Not surprising I suppose when it has to travel so far. We only drink organic milk, just for health reasons/concerns and it's only the kids so about one bottle a week. I'm glad farmers are making such a big deal out of this, it's good for the public to see the real cost of super cheap food production. It is just not sustainable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Buy Aussie farmers milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I buy Barambah organic milk & dairy as they discuss their animal welfare practices in their website which are better than many others.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (20-05-2016),BornToBe  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we used to buy Elgaar Farm milk, which was an awesome, ethical dairy farm in Tasmania a few years back but they have been shut down due to ridiculous over zealous bureaucracy (so much for our government trying to support local family businesses) . they are trying to get up and running again and I hope they do soon as the have a great philosophy and make a great product. until they do i don't know who to buy from as no one else treats their animals and workers as well as Elgaar do as far as I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post

What makes me annoyed is seeing people with $1 a litre milk in their trolley and then litres of expensive branded soft drink or even water!!!!
    Yes!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm the only one in my household who consumes dairy milk, in fact there are times when we have no dairy milk in the house at all.

I usually buy the Dairy Farmers half sized carton, so yes, I generally stick to the branded milk.

I wouldn't frown on a family who buys the cheaper milk though, as it's often because said family cannot stretch their budget to pay the extra.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    when my children were small and I was going through about 20 litres a week. I bought local milk and mixed up a powdered milk, then combined the two in one big jug. The children were all fine with that. That was back before these cheap price wars, and there was no woollies/coles branded milk. I just had to make the most of my food budget. Now I just refuse to buy the cheap milk, but I can understand it would be a problem for some. marie.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I personally think if you want to help the farmers you'll buy independent milk direct or from other stores ie iga or other independent, health food store or direct.
    See our IGA has $2 milk too. It's some brand I've never seen before.

They have also just started stocking a local farm-processed milk. At $4.50 for 2l it would cost us $20 more a week to switch. I bought one carton today to try and can't taste the difference. I'm not a big milk person though - it's DH and the kids who plough through it.

I must say this was a bit easier to deal with in SW WA as we just got Harvey Fresh. It was more expensive than coles but cheaper than most of the branded stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    when my children were small and I was going through about 20 litres a week. I bought local milk and mixed up a powdered milk, then combined the two in one big jug. The children were all fine with that. That was back before these cheap price wars, and there was no woollies/coles branded milk. I just had to make the most of my food budget. Now I just refuse to buy the cheap milk, but I can understand it would be a problem for some. marie.
    That's what my parents did when I was growing up and we hated it. We had strict instructions on how much milk+powder to add and it was always just watery. We used to love going to friends' houses or school camp and getting "real milk".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (20-05-2016)