+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yeah my comment was just that its so bloody hard to know what to do.
    Yes it is tricky, im just going with the basic buy branded milk instead of the $1/ltre. Waleed said on The Project that's what the farmers said would help and i've already seen something that said sales had already increased in the branded ones.
    I also looked into Maleny Dairies on facebook and they sound great, a smaller producer with about 6 farms who dairy farm for them, they have posted about the farmers now having a profit from the sales and the possibility of taking on another dairy farmer. Which couod then save a dairy farm. So i found out my local iga stocks their milk, so will grab a bottle this week. :thumbup:
    Last edited by monroe78; 27-05-2016 at 07:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    You do realise that Farmer's Own is Woolies' other generic brand?
    No. I did not know that!! Lying scoundrels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    This has been linked previously. I'm not completely sure how reliable it is as brownes are named and they have been accused over in WA of screwing the farmers too.
    Harvey Fresh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Harvey Fresh
    Haven't they been bought out by overseas interests?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Haven't they been bought out by overseas interests?
    My friend who is a small dairy producer (when I asked her this question) said either buy from an independent dairy or go with Harvey Fresh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    My friend who is a small dairy producer (when I asked her this question) said either buy from an independent dairy or go with Harvey Fresh.
    Thanks will do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In regards to what people did before $1 milk was available, it did get me thinking. 5 years ago I just bought whatever was full cream and decent use by. When my daughter went onto cows milk we bought A2, and it cost us a lot. It was our splurge. As time went on our budget tightened, and cheaper milk became regular in the fridge. Ideally I love to support local, such as buying SPC, Ardmona, anything Aussie made. It does get hard when you don't have much money, there is always choices to be made. Our government has sold us out and basically over the years allowed our country to be sold out from under us. They want foreign investment. I assume that means any profits go overseas. Didn't help the car industry. Now that's going. America helped theirs. They sell cars to us now. We seem to sell any industry that can make money, to overseas. Overall it's kind of bleak and depressing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    No. I did not know that!! Lying scoundrels.
    Woolworths buy the Farmers Own milk directly from the farmers, cutting out the big processing companies. The farmers have been able to to control the price they choose to sell it directly to Woolworths for. In other words it is not the same thing as the no brand name milk that's $1/litre, the farmers make more money from Farmers Own. It is one of the suggested brands to buy rather than the no brand milk.
    Here is more info;
    http://ausfoodnews.com.au/2015/03/16...ueensland.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    we used to buy Elgaar Farm milk, which was an awesome, ethical dairy farm in Tasmania a few years back but they have been shut down due to ridiculous over zealous bureaucracy (so much for our government trying to support local family businesses) . they are trying to get up and running again and I hope they do soon as the have a great philosophy and make a great product. until they do i don't know who to buy from as no one else treats their animals and workers as well as Elgaar do as far as I know.
    I wondered what happened to Elgaar Farm! What a shame that the red tape got to them

For what it's worth, I mostly buy Ashgrove milk, it's another Tasmanian dairy farm, and when I can get my hands on it, I opt for 2Cow milk, which is from a Mount Cygnet, family owned, small dairy farm. Their milk can usually be found in Providore in Hoabrt CBD, Hoabrt Farmer's Market, Kingston Produce Market, or if you're in the Huon, through the Huon Producers' Network. I'm not sure where else they sell, maybe check out their Facebook page
    Last edited by Lillynix; 27-05-2016 at 10:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (27-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Lillynix. I admit that I've been slack since Elgaar Farm disappeared and have just been buying supermarket milk (but have reduced my consumption a lot). I'll check out Mount Cygnet at the market on Sunday.
    BTW Elgaar Farm is still fighting to get back. They have a facebook page with updates on how they are going if your interested in checking it out.
    My main reason for wanting to buy from Elgaar Farm in particular is that they treat their cows really well; calves left with their mothers to naturally wean, and older cows allowed to retire in peace on the farm after their producing days are done. It was so nice to be able to have guilt free dairy products.
    Last edited by Meg2; 27-05-2016 at 11:36.