+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michellead View Post
    We're in London but I buy raw goat and cow milk directly from the farmer for AUD $6 (£3) a litre.
    We drink about 2L a week and and we know that we are directly supporting farmers.
    We buy almost exclusively from the farmers market - yes it's expensive but it's a cause we feel passionate about - locally produced, organic food.
    I am seeing a lot of these posts on fb from my Australian friends and family and if it is supporting farmers than I think that's fantastic.
    It is illegal to sell raw milk here and generally it is too expensive for most farmers to pasteurize/homogenize milk on their own to sell in the supermarkets or to the general public.

So, pretty much the only way to help the farmers is for the government to step in. Whether we pay a levy that goes to the farmers. And to somehow stop price fixing etc there is nothing much the farmers can do themselves.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

michellead  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think (from listening to few radio segments and some brief reading on the topic) that there are a lot of factors that are contributing to the low milk prices. My understanding is that only a small % of Aussie milk ends up on the shelves for drinking - most is used for other products or exported.

I really hope that a long term sustainable solution can be found as it's devastating to hear the struggles of the dairy farmers.

Does anyone know what happens to the those farmers that supply Coles/woollies if that $1/L milk doesn't sell? Or was it the Fonterra/Goulburn Murray group that supplies them.

Sorry - not much help OP - $30-$40 extra on a tight budget is tough - maybe you could do some branded and some not - I'm sure every little bit helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am not sure buying branded milk will make a big difference - too many families would in the position of needing to buy cheaper milk and the contracts are already drawn up with the farmers, regardless of what the consumer takes off the shelf. In the long run the demand might drop and this would in turn hurt the farmers supplying these big producers.

However, I think the hype and social media etc surrounding this could be a very good thing, sending a message to Coles & Woolies to pick up their game. They both 'market' like they're best buddies with the farmers (cr@p), and the negative publicity will be taken into account. Media is very powerful so let's hope this helps make a difference!

Personally I only buy local/organic but we only go through 2-3L a week so I don't mind paying $4-$5 for a 2L bottle. Not everyone can afford that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally think if you want to help the farmers you'll buy independent milk direct or from other stores ie iga or other independent, health food store or direct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I *think* the branded milk is also something to not buy in some instances. There are 2 dairy producers (excuse me if this is the wrong term. My head is so freaking stuffed and fuzzy from this ridiculous cold) that now pay less than what milk costs to produce. Also, they have backdated these lower costs so now farmers owe them quite a bit of money. The two companies.are Murray Goulburn and Fonterra. Just google them and it will come up with a list of brands under a Wikipedia link.
    See this is where I am confused about the difference it will make. I read one post from a dairy farmer about how "a NZ owned processor" (I'd assume Fonterra) is backdating buy prices etc. and generally shafting them. Yet other posts showing products to buy to support our farmers and half of them are Fonterra brands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, we only buy local branded milk. When Coles and Woolies dropped milk prices to $1, it didn't take an economist to figure out that farmers were being screwed and we felt it was important to send a signal to the supermarkets that their predatory behaviour is not okay.

That being said, I can understand why people who don't have much shopping budget to work with might not be in a position to be able to bypass the cheaper milk if it's offered.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 20-05-2016 at 09:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just adjusted my original post. I did my math wrong, would be an extra $1 a litre give or take. So closer to $16 extra a week.

Sorry, 2nd coffee has just kicked in and brain started working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    See this is where I am confused about the difference it will make. I read one post from a dairy farmer about how "a NZ owned processor" (I'd assume Fonterra) is backdating buy prices etc. and generally shafting them. Yet other posts showing products to buy to support our farmers and half of them are Fonterra brands.
    If you look on the shop ethical website anything owned by Fonterra is red flagged as being highly unethical

Thankfully we are not big milk drinkers and if I do buy it for baking or smoothies I buy A2 , I stopped eating meat and then went on to being vegan after visiting a dairy farm when I was 14 as it was heartbreaking seeing the cows ( and then realising dairy cows are the biggest veal producers) but I do now eat dairy , but I just try but the most ethical ( and better for animal brands) which is one of the reasons I prefer organic, the animals are usually better looked after but unfortunately it is more expensive

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-05-2016),mummymaybe  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I buy branded milk - I really love the non homogenised creamy milk. It's local and well worth the price. I don't know if it's just here but the generic milk tastes disgusting and watery anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but want to make sure I am buying the right milk. Is Farmhouse Gold Cream On Top a branded milk? Want to make sure if I get that still I am still helping the farmers in some way
    Last edited by loodle; 20-05-2016 at 11:36.