+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

From reading that (@Elijahs Mum post) it would appear likely that the smaller producers of local milk are selling 'fresh' milk rather than reconstituted.

I think I better send another email off to Highland Organics to check.

This thread really has been super informative bubhub 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also read the "choice" report on the milk types, powder added to skim to be better informed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monroe78 View Post
    The difference between a 2 litre bottle of home brand milk and a farmers brand, like Farmers Own for example is only $1.39. So it would only be an extra $11.12 on 8 2 litre bottles. May be less of a price difference on different brands again, or the 3 litre bottles. Not too bad if it means no milk from China and less suicides of our farmers.

It isn't as costly as some assume
    Our milk does not come from China.

I don't think they even own any dairy companies/producers. It is NZ, Japan and France.

People have pointed out they cannot afford to change right now. Please stop trying to guilt them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I read somewhere the reason our milk is so cheap at the moment is because of the over supply as they made more to export to China but the Chinese are not milk fans so didn't order as much as was hoped , they are buying tons of our meat so our cattle farmers are at least having a win at the moment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

I don't think they even own any dairy companies/producers. It is NZ, Japan and France.

People have pointed out they cannot afford to change right now. Please stop trying to guilt them.
    Excuse me?

I am not trying to "guilt trip" anyone?
    I was merely pointing out the OP doesn't have the estimated price correct, as it would only be around $11 a week more for 8 2 litre bottles of brand name milk compared to home brand. Instead the OP had incorrectly guessed a much larger amount. I assumed it would be helpful to add the correct price so some people can realise it isn't that much more for a 2 litre bottle, a $1.39. A lot of people assume it to cost a lot more than it does, i was the same, until i price checked and made the change myself some weeks ago.

I also never said our milk comes from China.

I said if it stops our milk coming from China.
    Obviously i watched the current affair shows this past week to see the farmers etc say a lot of them have shut their dairy farms down as it costs them more to produce milk than they get paid now and if it keeps up with people all buying the $1/ltre milk, the milk will be made offshore in China.

It is not "guilt tripping" but repeating facts.
    It is also fact that farmers have been commiting suicide.

People have a right to some facts when making an informed choice, so they are informed is all!

Wow!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to monroe78 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post

Fonterra owns massive farms (we are talking thousands of head of cattle with feed sheds of palm kernal) in China that aren't even being utilised because the Chinese wont consume Chinese made products. For cheap production, they are looking at sending that milk here which I understand will wipe out our farmers that have contracts with them.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 24-05-2016 at 09:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm not sure if this is legit, but it's on Coles Facebook page.

I'll start by saying Im not a brand snob, I buy lots of home brand products and think they taste fine. I tried Coles home brand milk once and it tasted odd and wouldn't froth in my coffee machine. I never touched it again, I wondered what on earth they put in it to get it so cheap.

Attachment 81489
    I've always known that skim milk has full cream powder added to it for flavour amd texture but this is news to me.

If it is a completely reconstituted product, is it actually safe for babies after 12 months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish raw milk was safe and that I had chickens!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    according to Coles the facebook page was a typo. it was supposted to say "Not made from reconstituted powder"

A Coles spokesperson confirmed that the Facebook comment had suffered a typo and that Coles Brand milk was "100 per cent Australian fresh milk".
    The original comment was deleted overnight, and a new comment was posted on Tuesday morning, saying "we're sorry for the confusion. This was a typo and we can confirm that Coles brand milk is fresh and not made from reconstituted milk powder".

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consu...24-gp27yn.html

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (24-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-05-2016),LoveLivesHere  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I wish raw milk was safe and that I had chickens!
    Raw milk is safe. There are giant campaigns going on world wide to legalize its distribution. It's already legal in several countries (and always has been). Australia is nuts over the top about pasteurization. If we could invest a little $$$ in helping farmers to keep milk safe AND raw, there would be a huge market for it. I had a cow and drank raw milk for 12 months, fed it to my two toddlers who blossomed with it. It's all about cow health, and hygiene of the handlers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

michellead  (24-05-2016),Ngaiz  (24-05-2016)