+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly don't worry about it. We do what we have to, to survive.

I buy ALDI milk and I also buy caged eggs as at the moment I'm not in a position to buy the "true" free range stuff. When I'm in a better financial position I will make better choices but until then...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Not that I feel like I need to justify my reasons. Especially to such a passive aggressive statement towards the poor.

My families needs weren't the same as they are now. No one's lives stay the same over several years. Family grow. Kids grow older. People get sick or their diets need to change due to health reasons...

When your budget is super tight you tweat it every week to make it fit the current need. So when one thing goes down eg weetbix than you use that saving somewhere else. Lots of products have increased by a hell of a lot more than milk has gone down.

The world is a complex place.
    It's not even remotely passive aggressive, it's a genuine question. Did people not buy milk before the price was lowered unsustainably? It is going to go back up again, we're not well off in the slightest, I get that budgets are tight and that things can and are hard week to week, I'm not judging at all but asking a simple question. I live in a farming community and know that $1 milk isn't good for anyone nor is expecting farmers to receive just 14 cents per litre for their milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    It's not even remotely passive aggressive, it's a genuine question. Did people not buy milk before the price was lowered unsustainably? It is going to go back up again, we're not well off in the slightest, I get that budgets are tight and that things can and are hard week to week, I'm not judging at all but asking a simple question. I live in a farming community and know that $1 milk isn't good for anyone nor is expecting farmers to receive just 14 cents per litre for their milk.
    People used to buy more UHT and powdered milk. UHT used to be half the price of fresh (or close to) but with $1/L milk it's barely any different and sometimes actually more expensive now.

As for us we switch between local and woolies milk and have for ages, it depends which supermarket I'm
    at as Coles/woolies hardly stock local suppliers so I have to go to foodland or IGA to get the other milk. I'm making more of an effort to buy local milk and dairy now, there's quite a range of local milks where I live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

I'm not sure if this is legit, but it's on Coles Facebook page.

I'll start by saying Im not a brand snob, I buy lots of home brand products and think they taste fine. I tried Coles home brand milk once and it tasted odd and wouldn't froth in my coffee machine. I never touched it again, I wondered what on earth they put in it to get it so cheap.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1464009942.952152.jpg
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 23-05-2016 at 23:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm not sure if this is legit, but it's on Coles Facebook page.

I'll start by saying Im not a brand snob, I buy lots of home brand products and think they taste fine. I tried Coles home brand milk once and it tasted odd and wouldn't froth in my coffee machine. I never touched it again, I wondered what on earth they put in it to get it so cheap.

Attachment 81489
    Omg seriously? How can they say it is fresh milk if it is powdered milk???

I've used powdered milk many times in the past - as a very poor single mum uni student, camping, after cyclones etc... So have no issue with it BUT it is definitely not fresh milk!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I thought all milk was made from reconstituted powder? Well the big companies anyway, it's then got things added to it ( they top up the salt, sugar, protein ect as obviously all cows produce different ratios ) it's only fresh if you drink it from the cow!

Thanks
    Reviews

Double post.
    @Elijahsmum ok I had absolutely no idea that this was a general practice? Really? So would that be even the local dairies we are all suggesting to support?

Very confused 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most skim, light or low fat milk has some milk powder added to it for a creamy texture and flavour. Full fat milk doesn't have it added. Milk still comes from the cows lol. 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrit...8d747bc1db3a9c

Most milk has been standardised down these days, so the one thing people can say is that it tastes the same today, tomorrow and next week," says Queensland dairy farmer Richard Schroder, who produces one of the state's last remaining independent milk brands, Cooloola Milk. "It's hard to find milk now that is not adulterated to make it all taste the same."

NSW independent farmer John Fairley, who owns Country Valley milk, agrees and says nearly all milk sold today is actually a reconstituted product, often containing other dairy by-products.

Fairley says when big companies produce milk, they "pull it apart and put it back together again".

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-05-2016),binnielici  (24-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My FB news feed is chock full of stories about the dairy industry and people posting 'yay' photos of supermarket fridges with hardly any home brand sold.

I'm grocery shopping tomorrow and feel like I should wear dark glasses and a wig. Buying 16l of milk a week, if I switch to branded that will mean an extra $30-40 on the grocery bill, which would completely blow our budget.
    **edit - did my original maths wrong - would be $16-20ish extra a week. Sorry, I shouldn't try any thinking before 9am!

Do you buy branded milk only? Is there a cheaper branded milk in Vic?

Is buying branded milk actually going to make a difference to what farmers get paid when it sounds like they're being screwed over in general (eg. Back dating price changes and witholding payment)?
    The difference between a 2 litre bottle of home brand milk and a farmers brand, like Farmers Own for example is only $1.39. So it would only be an extra $11.12 on 8 2 litre bottles. May be less of a price difference on different brands again, or the 3 litre bottles. Not too bad if it means no milk from China and less suicides of our farmers.

It isn't as costly as some assume

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monroe78 For This Useful Post:

Mum2b87  (24-05-2016)