+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would think like meat and chicken where the dairy cows are from, fed and looked after should definitely make a difference in taste? ( I don't drink milk so can't help you there!) but I can easily taste the difference in cheeses and DH can always pick a supermarket steak if we are at someone's house for dinner!
    I actually really like Coles cheese, but agree, when I bought meat I bought "branded" meat.

But with milk, my understanding was it's all the same, just in different bottles.

ETA: currently, Coles branded cheese is produced by Bega. So I guess I actually like Bega cheese.
    Last edited by Moxy; 22-05-2016 at 14:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi1987 View Post
    from what Ive read its the EXACT same product, same processors make it,
    coles says 'we want x amount of liters in our bottles for x price' dairy farmers does the same,

exact same product.
    That can't be 100% true cause if you check the ingredients lists on all the full fat milks the nutritional values of fat, proteins, salt ect would all be the same and they are not

organic and non homogenised milk would definitely have a different taste, not sure if adding permiate to some milks makes a difference in taste either?
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 22-05-2016 at 14:37.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    But the $1/L milk is basically cr@p! It's akin to sausages where all the cheap bits are used. That's what's going into your cheap milk - all the by products leftover from the good milk basically.
    Attachment 81458
    This is false. I have worked for the industry and the private label (i.e. home brand) milk comes off the exact same conveyer belt as, say, the owners of Devondale or Paul's who are contracted to supply that milk. The assembly line splits in two, with one branch having one label attached to the milk and the other branch having the other.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

amyd  (22-05-2016),Moxy  (22-05-2016),Stretched  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That can't be 100% true cause if you check the ingredients lists on all the full fat milks the nutritional values of fat, proteins, salt ect would all be the same and they are not
    Murray Goulburn supply Coles branded milk. So the same milk as Devondale. It might be different to say, Pura or Paul's but they're different companies again.

I'd say the branded products have done an excellent job in marketing if there's a perceived difference in taste. I've been googling furiously and everything from anecdotal reports on forums to choice articles all suggest it's the same milk.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-05-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Murray Goulburn supply Coles branded milk. So the same milk as Devondale. It might be different to say, Pura or Paul's but they're different companies again.

I'd say the branded products have done an excellent job in marketing if there's a perceived difference in taste. I've been googling furiously and everything from anecdotal reports on forums to choice articles all suggest it's the same milk.
    I think the Dairy Corp has the best marketing ever , people think we'd all have brittle bones and no teeth without milk everyday ( not a helpful topic for helping dairy farmers !) but yes once it's all been heat treated I would think it should be a similar taste except maybe some cows might have higher lactose ( sugar) content in their milk which could change the flavour? obviously non homogenised milk which still has the cream fat in it has a different taste

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the Dairy Corp has the best marketing ever , people think we'd all have brittle bones and no teeth without milk everyday ( not a helpful topic for helping dairy farmers !) but yes once it's all been heat treated I would think it should be a similar taste except maybe some cows might have higher lactose ( sugar) content in their milk which could change the flavour? obviously non homogenised milk which still has the cream fat in it has a different taste
    Yeah, I don't know much about which breed of cows produce which type of milk or if there even is a difference. The only differences I can taste are between UHT and fresh, then between skim and full fat, and then unhomogenised which is almost too "thick" on my tongue.

I adore milk. It wreaks havoc on my psoriasis but I drink it anyway. I used to be intolerant when I was little and could only drink UHT milk. I think this thread is good in that it's made me (and presumably others) reconsider their milk purchasing habits. I've done a lot of research over the last day or so and am glad to see that the brand we buy doesn't appear to be on the "naughty list" of suppliers. I have no hesitation in swapping if it transpires that they are though.

As a bit of a side note, I love this website in general but here's the link to their milk thread specifically which lists each brand, who it's owned by and where they sit on the ethical shopping list http://guide.ethical.org.au/guide/br...at=455&type=15

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

WaitRose  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I'm in WA and have no idea what milk to buy..
    I usually buy Harvey Fresh/ Ferguson Valley thinking I was supporting WA dairy farmers..but maybe not?
    Any tips?
    It's hard to know right now! Brownes is WA owned, but isn't always great to the farmers. Stuff like this happens a bit. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-1...tracts/7429998

It was the local dairy manager at my IGA who told me Harvey Fresh was sold to the Chinese, but I can't find anything online about it. I was asking her about the change in taste and she said it was sold a few months back which is when I noticed a difference. But all I can find is it was sold to Parmalat (which is an Italian company) in 2014.

Harvey Fresh seem to pay the farmers more though. We have friends getting .48-50cents p/l while others at Brownes are getting around .35-40 (I think those figures are right, around that anyway). That's part of the problem. Since deregulation, they can set the price and it can vary dramatically from farm to farm. Even if the milk is the same quality!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We have only one local milk producer in our area who sources local dairies but on closer inspection is owned by Fonterra.... who are meant to be the bad guys. So it's either them or HB/Coles/Aldi milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    A nice independent small dairy in nth qld is Gallo. They only do cheese and chocolate. They are so dam yummy. You can go to the farm and watch the entire process. From milking the cows to processing and packaging. Than taste test at their cafe.

They sell their stuff in most towns in nth qld.

http://www.gallodairyland.com.au/index.html

We have did the tour a few years ago.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We have only one local milk producer in our area who sources local dairies but on closer inspection is owned by Fonterra.... who are meant to be the bad guys. So it's either them or HB/Coles/Aldi milk
    But if you're buying that milk- you are still doing the right thing. These farmers that supply fonterra and Murray Goulburn are locked into contracts for years. They can't shop around for a better buyer- and they are forced to accept the price that the company offers. The least we consumers can do is continue to make sure that their milk is still needed. If we boycott fonterra and MG we will just be making things worse for them.

And in response to different qualities of milk- when Coles and woollies are looking for manufacturers of their products, the companies put in tenders for them. The company who can supply their product at the cheapest price will win the tender for x amount of years. The products are literally made in the same factories as where some of your favourite big brand dairy products are made. It's not special machinery, they can't filter out all the good bits- although other bits might be added (permeate anyone?)- so the cheap milk actually isn't that much different.
    Df works for a big name dairy company. They recently lost their Supermarket cheese production to MG (I think- either them or fonterra), but have another year or so on the contract before it changes over. He swears it is the same cheese as the big name, but I don't know. I always think it grows mould faster than the big name cheese and I refuse to buy the supermarket brand one on that point alone.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (22-05-2016),Mopoke  (22-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)