+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Same with meat products - 70% of bacon , deli meats and small goods are not from Australian pigs or farms so remember to check those too ( if you eat meat!)
    Yes, I paid $28 per kg for ham labelled Product of Australia yesterday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Yes, I paid $28 per kg for ham labelled Product of Australia yesterday.
    My BIL owns a butcher shop and his dad was a farmer so he's pretty big on only buying from local or at least Australian farmers, unfortunately for him the big supermarkets are making it harder but he just try's to beat them on quality and really good service 😀

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Californication  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This thread has got me thinking more and I'm no longer going to buy $8 BBQ roast chicken from Coles and Woolies. I'm putting that in the same category as cheap milk. To be honest I thought the cheap milk tasted horrible and that's the reason I'd always brought expensive milk and it wasn't until all this stuff came up on Facebook that I actually thought about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

I'm in WA, and our situation isn't quite as dire as over east, (our farmers have been screwed down on price, but not having huge debts retrospectively as far as I'm aware). I got all fired up and started a thread on here in the BH Army about it asking people to boycott Coles and Woolies cheap milk about 5 years ago when it started over here. I should find it as I put in some links about the quality of the milk and dairies in general. But the $1/L milk is basically cr@p! It's akin to sausages where all the cheap bits are used. That's what's going into your cheap milk - all the by products leftover from the good milk basically.

I understand some people can't afford to make a change, but I do urge you to try. Even if you buy half cheap and half good milk. Signing the petitions helps (there's a link to one on the project site, or go on change.org and search) and share it too. The more people who sign, the higher chance something will change.

If you want to think bigger than milk and help all Aussie farmers, buy seasonal local fresh produce where you can. We are so used to being able to eat everything year round, and even I was tempted by cheap mangos from Mexico last week I couldn't do it. Shop at farmers markets - if you can find a good one, you should save money and your money goes directly to the farmer. I can buy corn for $1 a cob at mine. It's $2.5-3 I think at the shops and the farmer doesn't get more for it from them! Produce also lasts longer. Shop at your local green grocer if you can. Might be a few dollars more, but again, things last longer and haven't been frozen like Coles and Woolies do. Shop at IGA. I think they are better at supporting local than the other 2.

We are loosing farmers to drought. To fracking decimating their farms. To depression. To (drought caused) debt. And our Govt does sweet FA to support them. So much of our country is being sold to OS buyers and it should not be allowed to happen. Even Harvey Fresh has apparently been sold to a Chinese company! So that is a concern for WA dairy people. It's the milk I used to buy but noticed a drop in quality - it no longer frothed in my coffee maker. Now I know why!

Whether you live in the city, or in dairy country like I do, we all need farmers. We can't eat without them. So support them where you can. Every little bit helps.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1463888808.298599.jpg

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (22-05-2016),HeavenBlue  (22-05-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (22-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not that I'm advocating home branded milk, but I've read a few times in this thread that it tastes different and that it's not the same product as branded milk. Is there actual evidence of this or is it perception? The reading I've done online suggests the former.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I'm in WA, and our situation isn't quite as dire as over east, (our farmers have been screwed down on price, but not having huge debts retrospectively as far as I'm aware). I got all fired up and started a thread on here in the BH Army about it asking people to boycott Coles and Woolies cheap milk about 5 years ago when it started over here. I should find it as I put in some links about the quality of the milk and dairies in general. But the $1/L milk is basically cr@p! It's akin to sausages where all the cheap bits are used. That's what's going into your cheap milk - all the by products leftover from the good milk basically.

I understand some people can't afford to make a change, but I do urge you to try. Even if you buy half cheap and half good milk. Signing the petitions helps (there's a link to one on the project site, or go on change.org and search) and share it too. The more people who sign, the higher chance something will change.

If you want to think bigger than milk and help all Aussie farmers, buy seasonal local fresh produce where you can. We are so used to being able to eat everything year round, and even I was tempted by cheap mangos from Mexico last week I couldn't do it. Shop at farmers markets - if you can find a good one, you should save money and your money goes directly to the farmer. I can buy corn for $1 a cob at mine. It's $2.5-3 I think at the shops and the farmer doesn't get more for it from them! Produce also lasts longer. Shop at your local green grocer if you can. Might be a few dollars more, but again, things last longer and haven't been frozen like Coles and Woolies do. Shop at IGA. I think they are better at supporting local than the other 2.

We are loosing farmers to drought. To fracking decimating their farms. To depression. To (drought caused) debt. And our Govt does sweet FA to support them. So much of our country is being sold to OS buyers and it should not be allowed to happen. Even Harvey Fresh has apparently been sold to a Chinese company! So that is a concern for WA dairy people. It's the milk I used to buy but noticed a drop in quality - it no longer frothed in my coffee maker. Now I know why!

Whether you live in the city, or in dairy country like I do, we all need farmers. We can't eat without them. So support them where you can. Every little bit helps.

Attachment 81458
    I'm in WA and have no idea what milk to buy..
    I usually buy Harvey Fresh/ Ferguson Valley thinking I was supporting WA dairy farmers..but maybe not?
    Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Brownes in WA are still locally owned (or at least i think 😳)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Not that I'm advocating home branded milk, but I've read a few times in this thread that it tastes different and that it's not the same product as branded milk. Is there actual evidence of this or is it perception? The reading I've done online suggests the former.
    I would think like meat and chicken where the dairy cows are from, fed and looked after should definitely make a difference in taste? ( I don't drink milk so can't help you there!) but I can easily taste the difference in cheeses and DH can always pick a supermarket steak if we are at someone's house for dinner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    from what Ive read its the EXACT same product, same processors make it,
    coles says 'we want x amount of liters in our bottles for x price' dairy farmers does the same,

exact same product.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Home brand milk won't froth in my coffee machine which makes me suspicious...