+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    For anyone living in Brisbane / SEQLD, I'm starting to put together a list of localish brands that are Australian owned:

I went to a Coles and Woolies yesterday. Woolies was sold out of the smaller brands so it was difficult to see exactly what they stocked. The Coles I went to was a larger Coles that stocked brands I've never seen in the supermarket I usually go to:

Maleny Dairy - I found it in Coles
    Sunshine Coast Milk - again found in Coles
    Norco - from Northern NSW but close enough - Coles
    4RealMilk - http://www.4realmilk.com.au/our-product#LOCATORANCHOR
    Barambah Organics - http://www.barambahorganics.com.au/

Maleny Cheese - http://www.malenycheese.com.au/where-to-buy/
    Woombye Cheese - http://www.woombyecheese.com/qld-stockists/
    If you're on the Gold Coast IGA has Maleny Dairies products. Coles and Woolworths don't stock it there. I can get it at my Coles on Brisbane Northside. Their custard is awesome!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For anyone living in Brisbane / SEQLD, I'm starting to put together a list of localish brands that are Australian owned:

I went to a Coles and Woolies yesterday. Woolies was sold out of the smaller brands so it was difficult to see exactly what they stocked. The Coles I went to was a larger Coles that stocked brands I've never seen in the supermarket I usually go to:

Maleny Dairy - I found it in Coles
    Sunshine Coast Milk - again found in Coles
    Norco - from Northern NSW but close enough - Coles
    4RealMilk - http://www.4realmilk.com.au/our-product#LOCATORANCHOR
    Barambah Organics - http://www.barambahorganics.com.au/

Maleny Cheese - http://www.malenycheese.com.au/where-to-buy/
    Woombye Cheese - http://www.woombyecheese.com/qld-stockists/
    Also Cooloola 😊

http://www.maryvalleycountry.com.au/.../cooloola-milk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (22-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maleny Dairies locator. It is usually sold out in our local Coles. They have atarted making yoghurt too.

http://malenydairies.com/store-locator/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also had a thought. With those wanting to start/continue buying local milk will this change where you purchase your takeaway coffee (for those that drink it)?

I was considering this while DD was not sleeping last night.

Generally (when working) I purchase coffees from a store that used Norco milk. It isn't completely local to SEQ but fairly close.

I know some other smaller cafes use Barambah milk as well.

Would you change from someone who uses Pauls milk to a local one if you had the opportunity?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I also had a thought. With those wanting to start/continue buying local milk will this change where you purchase your takeaway coffee (for those that drink it)?

I was considering this while DD was not sleeping last night.

Generally (when working) I purchase coffees from a store that used Norco milk. It isn't completely local to SEQ but fairly close.

I know some other smaller cafes use Barambah milk as well.

Would you change from someone who uses Pauls milk to a local one if you had the opportunity?
    @twinklify I was also thinking about this. One place I go to uses Barrambah another uses Maleny but one just uses a big brand maybe dairy farmers.

If it's just coffee I would 100% choose the local option but the other place does amazing breakfast so it's a tough one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't drink tea or coffee so the takeaway thing doesn't apply to me.

Pauls used to be local to SEQ. We went on a tour of the factory at South Brisbane when I was in primary school. They aren't Australian owned anymore, but they would still be sourcing their milk from local farmers so buying it means local farmers are being supported. In my mind it is still preferable to homebrand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and on the whole A2 thing. I have been buying A2 milk for the past 8 years. We don't consume much milk in this house - average of 2 litres per week for 5 of us. However I do get stomach aches from normal milk when I have it on cereal, so have always opted for the A2.

It used to have Freedom foods on the label which I knew was an Australian company. The labelling changed a while back, and I'm now pretty disappointed to find out they are only partially Australian owned as Freedom foods only have an 18% stake in the NZ company.

The labelling on the Maleny milk states it is from guernsey cows and Norco milk is from Jersey cows. Google has told me that the milk these cows produce are predominately A2. I bought some Maleny milk yesterday, had a glass this morning and so far so good so I will switch, but it is hard to get. I got my hands on the last 1 litre bottle in the supermarket yesterday.

On the upside, I have read on another site that the farmers who supply milk to the A2 company are paid good prices for their milk so that is a positive for the company, even if 100% of the profits don't stay in this country.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 22-05-2016 at 10:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and while I'm still on my soapbox.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all fresh milk sold in Australia is from somewhere in Australia. So by buying it you will be supporting an Aussie Farmer.

The same cannot be said about icecream. Last time I checked Cornettos were from Italy and Vienetta was from Indonesia.

It pays to read the labels.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (22-05-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...r-fund/7420320

Not sure what good it would do. And will a new brand push out other brands?

what a crock !!!

instead of starting a 'fund' to help the farmers in the future - setting up a new brand and donating part of the profits ... how about just paying them a fair price for their product now!!!!

This is absolute rubbish. Coles are CREATING the problem (not solely, but half), and then pretending to be the good guys in setting up an inadequate, costly and delayed fund to help fix the issue.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-05-2016),HeavenBlue  (22-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-05-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (22-05-2016),Ngaiz  (22-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I want to buy branded milk but...

Oh and while I'm still on my soapbox.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all fresh milk sold in Australia is from somewhere in Australia. So by buying it you will be supporting an Aussie Farmer.

The same cannot be said about icecream. Last time I checked Cornettos were from Italy and Vienetta was from Indonesia.

It pays to read the labels.
    Same with meat products - 70% of bacon , deli meats and small goods are not from Australian pigs or farms so remember to check those too ( if you eat meat!)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)