+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 201
  1. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,622
    Thanks
    2,034
    Thanked
    804
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    For anyone living in Brisbane / SEQLD, I'm starting to put together a list of localish brands that are Australian owned:

    I went to a Coles and Woolies yesterday. Woolies was sold out of the smaller brands so it was difficult to see exactly what they stocked. The Coles I went to was a larger Coles that stocked brands I've never seen in the supermarket I usually go to:

    Maleny Dairy - I found it in Coles
    Sunshine Coast Milk - again found in Coles
    Norco - from Northern NSW but close enough - Coles
    4RealMilk - http://www.4realmilk.com.au/our-product#LOCATORANCHOR
    Barambah Organics - http://www.barambahorganics.com.au/

    Maleny Cheese - http://www.malenycheese.com.au/where-to-buy/
    Woombye Cheese - http://www.woombyecheese.com/qld-stockists/
    If you're on the Gold Coast IGA has Maleny Dairies products. Coles and Woolworths don't stock it there. I can get it at my Coles on Brisbane Northside. Their custard is awesome!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

    SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)

  3. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,747
    Thanks
    3,825
    Thanked
    3,655
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    For anyone living in Brisbane / SEQLD, I'm starting to put together a list of localish brands that are Australian owned:

    I went to a Coles and Woolies yesterday. Woolies was sold out of the smaller brands so it was difficult to see exactly what they stocked. The Coles I went to was a larger Coles that stocked brands I've never seen in the supermarket I usually go to:

    Maleny Dairy - I found it in Coles
    Sunshine Coast Milk - again found in Coles
    Norco - from Northern NSW but close enough - Coles
    4RealMilk - http://www.4realmilk.com.au/our-product#LOCATORANCHOR
    Barambah Organics - http://www.barambahorganics.com.au/

    Maleny Cheese - http://www.malenycheese.com.au/where-to-buy/
    Woombye Cheese - http://www.woombyecheese.com/qld-stockists/
    Also Cooloola 😊

    http://www.maryvalleycountry.com.au/.../cooloola-milk

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

    PomPoms  (22-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)

  5. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,958
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked
    2,302
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maleny Dairies locator. It is usually sold out in our local Coles. They have atarted making yoghurt too.

    http://malenydairies.com/store-locator/

  6. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,958
    Thanks
    694
    Thanked
    2,302
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also had a thought. With those wanting to start/continue buying local milk will this change where you purchase your takeaway coffee (for those that drink it)?

    I was considering this while DD was not sleeping last night.

    Generally (when working) I purchase coffees from a store that used Norco milk. It isn't completely local to SEQ but fairly close.

    I know some other smaller cafes use Barambah milk as well.

    Would you change from someone who uses Pauls milk to a local one if you had the opportunity?

  7. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanks
    576
    Thanked
    866
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I also had a thought. With those wanting to start/continue buying local milk will this change where you purchase your takeaway coffee (for those that drink it)?

    I was considering this while DD was not sleeping last night.

    Generally (when working) I purchase coffees from a store that used Norco milk. It isn't completely local to SEQ but fairly close.

    I know some other smaller cafes use Barambah milk as well.

    Would you change from someone who uses Pauls milk to a local one if you had the opportunity?
    @twinklify I was also thinking about this. One place I go to uses Barrambah another uses Maleny but one just uses a big brand maybe dairy farmers.

    If it's just coffee I would 100% choose the local option but the other place does amazing breakfast so it's a tough one.

  8. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked
    774
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't drink tea or coffee so the takeaway thing doesn't apply to me.

    Pauls used to be local to SEQ. We went on a tour of the factory at South Brisbane when I was in primary school. They aren't Australian owned anymore, but they would still be sourcing their milk from local farmers so buying it means local farmers are being supported. In my mind it is still preferable to homebrand.

  9. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked
    774
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and on the whole A2 thing. I have been buying A2 milk for the past 8 years. We don't consume much milk in this house - average of 2 litres per week for 5 of us. However I do get stomach aches from normal milk when I have it on cereal, so have always opted for the A2.

    It used to have Freedom foods on the label which I knew was an Australian company. The labelling changed a while back, and I'm now pretty disappointed to find out they are only partially Australian owned as Freedom foods only have an 18% stake in the NZ company.

    The labelling on the Maleny milk states it is from guernsey cows and Norco milk is from Jersey cows. Google has told me that the milk these cows produce are predominately A2. I bought some Maleny milk yesterday, had a glass this morning and so far so good so I will switch, but it is hard to get. I got my hands on the last 1 litre bottle in the supermarket yesterday.

    On the upside, I have read on another site that the farmers who supply milk to the A2 company are paid good prices for their milk so that is a positive for the company, even if 100% of the profits don't stay in this country.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 22-05-2016 at 10:44.

  10. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked
    774
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and while I'm still on my soapbox.

    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all fresh milk sold in Australia is from somewhere in Australia. So by buying it you will be supporting an Aussie Farmer.

    The same cannot be said about icecream. Last time I checked Cornettos were from Italy and Vienetta was from Indonesia.

    It pays to read the labels.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    Elijahs Mum  (22-05-2016)

  12. #119
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,397
    Thanks
    5,366
    Thanked
    5,806
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...r-fund/7420320

    Not sure what good it would do. And will a new brand push out other brands?

    what a crock !!!

    instead of starting a 'fund' to help the farmers in the future - setting up a new brand and donating part of the profits ... how about just paying them a fair price for their product now!!!!

    This is absolute rubbish. Coles are CREATING the problem (not solely, but half), and then pretending to be the good guys in setting up an inadequate, costly and delayed fund to help fix the issue.

  13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (22-05-2016),HeavenBlue  (22-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-05-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (22-05-2016),Ngaiz  (22-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

  14. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,301
    Thanks
    3,122
    Thanked
    6,312
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default I want to buy branded milk but...

    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Oh and while I'm still on my soapbox.

    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all fresh milk sold in Australia is from somewhere in Australia. So by buying it you will be supporting an Aussie Farmer.

    The same cannot be said about icecream. Last time I checked Cornettos were from Italy and Vienetta was from Indonesia.

    It pays to read the labels.
    Same with meat products - 70% of bacon , deli meats and small goods are not from Australian pigs or farms so remember to check those too ( if you eat meat!)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Does my 2 year old *need* milk?
    By HeavenBlue in forum 2 year olds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-04-2016, 21:43
  2. Solids before milk
    By Leksie5000 in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-04-2016, 02:24
  3. How much food is enough & milk
    By Nafsika in forum Toddlers (1 year olds)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-08-2015, 22:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
121Temps
For the last 10 years 121 Temps has helped thousands of personal assistants/others to set up and work as a virtual assistant from home. Our services include: - One-2-One Mentoring - Online training/courses - Handbook, Toolkits, Templates & more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!