+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds just drinks milk roughly still as marigolds daughter we average 1-2 litres for dd & ds. I have no problem switching! My grocery bill for us three is about $200 I don't want to push it down as its quality food

Do people really want our kids eating Chinese milk? Veg etc this is the reality!!!! 😳

I understand everyone saying they can't switch etc but I cut out soft drink etc, I source free bread from the mission shop as I have a concession card look into these things to help even with just your budget

Eggs- we have our own chickens at mums when we're back home I'll get some too.

http://www.bdfarmpariscreek.com.au/index05.php?id=9 I've linked where we get our milk as its sold interstate etc and has lactose free but that's one there 'branches' Adelaide hills milk. So some Adelaide peeps might be interested

2. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Ds just drinks milk roughly still as marigolds daughter we average 1-2 litres for dd & ds. I have no problem switching! My grocery bill for us three is about $200 I don't want to push it down as its quality food

Do people really want our kids eating Chinese milk? Veg etc this is the reality!!!!
    Some (not very much) veg is sourced from China but store branded dairy is from Australia.

ETA: the most recent update I could find on Coles fresh fruit and veg showed only garlic as being sourced from China and even then, you usually still have the option of Argentinian or Australian garlic.
    Last edited by Moxy; 22-05-2016 at 07:55.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BH ate my post 😕

I've been buying Coles branded milk without considering the impact on farmers. I'm actually embarrassed for my ignorance, considering my family's financial position is thanks to a farming background and both DH and I still have family that are farmers.
    I have to research some local milk companies, but I think our grocery budget would only be increasing by about $6 a week in order to better support our dairy farmers. Sounds worth it to me!

The comment about having soft drink in the trolley initially got my back up a bit, but it's actually a fair comment. We're low income, so my thoughts aren't coming from a place of naivety - but wouldn't it make more sense to shuffle the budget to support dairy farmers now, because I'd hazard a guess that the big 2 will increase their milk prices once they push everyone else out of the game and you will end up paying more anyway.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-05-2016),Elijahs Mum  (22-05-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that the big 2 will increase their milk prices once they push everyone else out of the game and you will end up paying more anyway.
    I read Coles have agreed to raise the price of milk. Not sure if it was 20c a litre or just adding 20c making it $1.20.

Not sure when this will start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I read Coles have agreed to raise the price of milk. Not sure if it was 20c a litre or just adding 20c making it $1.20.

That's a start, but does it mean they will pay more to the farmers or pocket the difference?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (22-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Some (not very much) veg is sourced from China but store branded dairy is from Australia.

ETA: the most recent update I could find on Coles fresh fruit and veg showed only garlic as being sourced from China and even then, you usually still have the option of Argentinian or Australian garlic.
    It's the majority of frozen and tinned fruit and veggies are imported from overseas plus most of the ingredients in frozen and processed foods, deli meats and seafood etc , we actually have the biggest trade agreement with NZ and the USA , thankfully most dairy and fresh meat is ours

http://www.theguardian.com/global/da...ood-comes-from

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    That's a start, but does it mean they will pay more to the farmers or pocket the difference?
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...r-fund/7420320

Not sure what good it would do. And will a new brand push out other brands?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (22-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...r-fund/7420320

Not sure what good it would do. And will a new brand push out other brands?
    From that article, it sounds similar to the Farmer's Own brand and initiative that Woolworths stocks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    This ^

Wouldn't it still leave them open to monopolizing the dairy industry if they're cheaper and then being able to force farmers to take the low offering when other brands have closed their doors?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For anyone living in Brisbane / SEQLD, I'm starting to put together a list of localish brands that are Australian owned:

I went to a Coles and Woolies yesterday. Woolies was sold out of the smaller brands so it was difficult to see exactly what they stocked. The Coles I went to was a larger Coles that stocked brands I've never seen in the supermarket I usually go to:

Maleny Dairy - I found it in Coles
    Sunshine Coast Milk - again found in Coles
    Norco - from Northern NSW but close enough - Coles
    4RealMilk - http://www.4realmilk.com.au/our-product#LOCATORANCHOR
    Barambah Organics - http://www.barambahorganics.com.au/

Maleny Cheese - http://www.malenycheese.com.au/where-to-buy/
    Woombye Cheese - http://www.woombyecheese.com/qld-stockists/

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (22-05-2016),SuperGranny  (25-05-2016)