+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 201
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    4
    Reviews
    0
    Frankly, I can't afford to make the switch. So I won't be.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,087
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Shopping done and after all this I didn't get a choice. Woolies brand was all that was left! I only bought 6l to get us through a few days but will need more soon.

    I get the whole anti-duopoly thing, but a lot of the ridiculously cheap homebrand pricing seems to have started in response to Aldi's pricing (eg. 75c kg flour etc).

    I remember when aldi first arrived in Melb and it was all "the consumer wins, no more big 2 over-pricing everything, this will bring prices down" media. Well that's what's happened yet it is still the big 2's fault?

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

    Nemmi1987  (21-05-2016)

  4. #93
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,407
    Thanks
    5,372
    Thanked
    5,812
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Shopping done and after all this I didn't get a choice. Woolies brand was all that was left! I only bought 6l to get us through a few days but will need more soon.

    I get the whole anti-duopoly thing, but a lot of the ridiculously cheap homebrand pricing seems to have started in response to Aldi's pricing (eg. 75c kg flour etc).

    I remember when aldi first arrived in Melb and it was all "the consumer wins, no more big 2 over-pricing everything, this will bring prices down" media. Well that's what's happened yet it is still the big 2's fault?
    I have to laugh at the marketing ploy that "Aldi coming is great" ... Aldi is the ultimate in homebranding. They do not sell ANYONE elses brand ... only their own.

    They may help in offering an additional sales option (so may allow farmers and manufacturers an additional choice instead of having to sell to WW/Coles) - but companies who have established brands will have to sell their products significantly cheaper to Aldi who will re-brand them as Aldi products.

    It wont actually help as much as an additional supermarket retailer.

  5. #94
    ~Marigold~'s Avatar
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,039
    Thanks
    9,662
    Thanked
    4,985
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    I have got to ask, how you guys use so much milk each week? Do you have lots of kids who drink it as a drink? Purely curious, I hiss can't imagine how we could even come close to using so much!
    We are a family of 4 and go through approx 3 litres a day, so 21 litres a week. DD drinks around a litre a day by herself plus has it in her porridge daily. DH and DS are big milk drinkers and have it on their cereal, too. I only have it in my coffee, usually 2 a day.

  6. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,708
    Thanks
    893
    Thanked
    2,784
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    We are a family of 4 and go through approx 3 litres a day, so 21 litres a week. DD drinks around a litre a day by herself. DH and DS are big milk drinkers and have it on their cereal, too. I only have it in my coffee, usually 2 a day.
    Mate, just buy a cow.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

    amyd  (22-05-2016),Gentoo  (22-05-2016),GlitterFarts  (21-05-2016),Koarlo  (21-05-2016)

  8. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanks
    3,507
    Thanked
    976
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are a family of 5 and drink approx 3ltrs a week (therefore buy branded milk). If we consumed lots I'd have to consider unbranded as an option)...

  9. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    864
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked
    481
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    So, the way the dairy industry works is some guy in a suit crunches some numbers, predicts how much milk solids will be required in the future, depending on demand by consumer and international buyers, and then sets a price for the farmers per kg of milk solids.
    Now- if they have predicted x amount will be needed and only y amount sells- everyone is in the shiz because they don't make enough coin to pay the famers and so farm gate prices have to be lowered. (Despite the massive company profits. Don't get me started on that. The way MG has been mismanaged since newly retired CEO was employed reads like a "how to" of running a perfectly good business into the ground.)
    So. This is why it's important we support brand names. Even if that brand name is produced by MG or fonterra. The farmers are locked into contracts with these companies and can't just shop around for a better deal on their product. If the companies don't make a certain amount, it will become even worse for the farmers. The farmers are who I feel for.
    I live in a heavily dairy populated area. And there are milk factories a plenty. The farmers are on suicide watch. We've lost at least 7 this week already. So but branded dairy for them. Even if it's produced by fonterra or MG.
    I personally always buy branded milk- I don't actually notice a difference in taste, it's just because it's always been known around here that $1 per litre milk prices were never going to do good things for the dairy industry.

    ...that's my take on it anyway. It's a huge and complex issue with layers of contributing factors so I fully accept if I have got the facts wrong.

    As for local milk op- it depends on where exactly you live. I'm in vic too but my local milk could be different to your local milk
    I thanked you for your post but had to reply directly. That is just so tragic, is there anything else we can do except buy branded milk and sign petitions?

    We go through 3-4L a week and get it delivered through Aussie Farmers Direct. We've been buying our milk from them for years but I didn't really appreciate the service they are doing for our community until now. It must be a tough decision for those who want to make ethical choices but can't afford it. Maybe they could offset their homebrand milk purchases with branded cheese/ yoghurt instead

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Koarlo For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Nomsie  (21-05-2016)

  11. #98
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,026
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    I thanked you for your post but had to reply directly. That is just so tragic, is there anything else we can do except buy branded milk and sign petitions?

    We go through 3-4L a week and get it delivered through Aussie Farmers Direct. We've been buying our milk from them for years but I didn't really appreciate the service they are doing for our community until now. It must be a tough decision for those who want to make ethical choices but can't afford it. Maybe they could offset their homebrand milk purchases with branded cheese/ yoghurt instead
    I suppose nothing else unless you make donations to charities such as Aussie Helpers? They look after farming families going through tough times- drought, flood etc. I'm hoping they are starting to look at these dairy families and watch over them now too.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

    BH-KatiesMum  (21-05-2016),Koarlo  (22-05-2016),Stretched  (21-05-2016)

  13. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,174
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked
    576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My family would be lucky to go through 3ltr a week !

  14. #100
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,030
    Thanks
    5,464
    Thanked
    4,403
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I have to laugh at the marketing ploy that "Aldi coming is great" ... Aldi is the ultimate in homebranding. They do not sell ANYONE elses brand ... only their own.

    They may help in offering an additional sales option (so may allow farmers and manufacturers an additional choice instead of having to sell to WW/Coles) - but companies who have established brands will have to sell their products significantly cheaper to Aldi who will re-brand them as Aldi products.

    It wont actually help as much as an additional supermarket retailer.
    While I get your sentiment, the fact that you emphasized 'anyone' is bugging me, because it's incorrect... They do sell other brands, sure it is a small amount, but they do.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Does my 2 year old *need* milk?
    By HeavenBlue in forum 2 year olds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 27-04-2016, 21:43
  2. Solids before milk
    By Leksie5000 in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-04-2016, 02:24
  3. How much food is enough & milk
    By Nafsika in forum Toddlers (1 year olds)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-08-2015, 22:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
CarmelsBeautySecrets
Growing your own natural nails is easy. Years ago, I devised a simple and very effective technique which really helps boosts the nails' growth in as little as three days! And most importantly keeps them that way.
featured supporter
L'il Aussie Prems Foundation
An Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at high risk of giving birth prematurely, who have babies currently in hospital and families with toddlers who were born too soon.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!