Help me please!!!
So it has been over a year of trying to toilet train my now 3.5yr old - on and off.
He will ONLY do a wee in the shower, he tells me that the toilet water is too scary, but the potty without water is also too scary and that he wants to do it in the shower with the water on. - i should say he doesnt 'ask' to go in the shower, he waits until i ask if he needs to do a wee on the toilet or the potty which he always responds "no mummy no i dont need to" so usually 5 or so minutes of trying to lure him to the toilet or potty i then say "would you like to do wee in the shower" and he says yes and runs to the shower. I only work 2 days a week so it is easy enough for us to do this at home (although I am still encouraging the toilet/potty - even got one of those plastic frog urinals) if I don't give him a shower in the middle of the day he will literally hold his wee all day until bath time(!!!)
I try / have done all of these things:
• Taking shopping for special jocks - he was very excited to do this and is excited to choose his jocks in the morning.
• decorating the urinal with stickers
• ping pong balls in toilet & potty
• washable markers to draw on toilet lid while sitting on toilet
• putting water in the potty and putting food colouring in there (i try to tell him if he does a big wee it might change the colour which he gets excited to do - but will not wee)
• sticker charts
• sitting on potty watching tv/ colouring/ reading books
• putting urinal in shower to encourage him to wee into it while he's in the shower
• i'm sure there is more tips i've tried but i can't remember
He will scream and cry and most times I actually can not get him to sit or stand on/at the toilet, I managed to get him to sit on the potty (after 45 min of crying and screaming) and i got him laughing and was tickling him and he did a little dribble and I was being very supportive and he went from a shock look to happy so I thought we might be making some progress! But then he had an accident a little while later which he hasnt actually had an accident for a couple of weeks.
I have tried the "big boy" approach as well to which he replied "I don't want to be a big boy, I want to be a little boy so you look after me" which breaks my heart. He has an 18mo sister. I have tried to tell him that I will still look after him and he will still get lots of cuddles if he is a big boy.
I have told him now that if he wants to be a little boy he needs to have a nap when his sister does and go to bed when she does, well he took himself to bed tonight when she went without any help.
I have spoken to our GP who didn't have any other suggestions as it seems I've tried everything!
Help me please!