+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow! Lots to take in! My mum is called GaGa by our kids good luck for your daughter xx

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your daughter is lucky she has you. You sound like an amazing support for her! My mum became a grandmother in her early 40's. She is Nanny.
    My grandmother has 15 siblings. Her mother and sister were pregnant at the same time.
    I wouldn't mind being a young grandma (within reason).
    Congratulations to you and your daughter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Very different scenario for us but DHs parents will be 40 when they become grandparents (I've got 8 weeks to go!!). They've had a long time to come to terms with it as we started ttc 3 years ago haha. But my MIL didn't like any of the traditional names. A good idea is to take your first initial and add a vowel to it.
    Didi, Meme, Lolo, that sort of thing. So it's still a "title" but it's personal as well.
    You're doing a wonderful thing, I wish you and your daughter all the luck.

Oh, and remember to cut the boy some slack - he's still just a kid. He might stuff this up, but that doesn't mean he's not a good person. Support him as much as you can. This is going to be hard for him too xxx

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (20-05-2016),Ngaiz  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My cousins grandma on the other side first became a grandma at 27 if that makes you feel better

Research grandma in your background language or a culture/language you are interested in. My mum was 49 and is Shen, short for scots-Gaelic seanmhair (shenovah).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by makers View Post
    So 8 years ago I was on here in the TTC threads and then in the March mummies group of 2009. Now I am going to be a grandma in just over 6 months.
    Freaking out slightly. I'm 36 and my daughter is 17... She was on Depo when she got pregnant and only found out by accident. Went to the hospital for pancreatitis and a routine blood test revealed she was 7 weeks.
    Her now ex boyfriend had convinced her to have an abortion- she had the initial
    Appointment, the blood tests and ultrasound but couldn't go through with it
    She is now planning on being a single mum with mine and my husbands (her dads) help. The ex had said he will be there for the baby but I'm yet to be convinced. A week ago he was literally balling his eyes out because she was ruining his life 😡
    Anyway I spent a lot of time here getting support so I thought I'd comeback now that I need it again. I've had 4 children but this grandma thing is new and scary
    Oh and I don't want to be grandma or nanna or nonni... Need to come up with something else 🤔
    Hi there, I too will be a grandma this year at 36. In September my son (19) and his girlfriend, 17, who wanted to get pregnant with bring a baby girl into the world, I'm more so lost because, my son who is a mummy's boy has just been forced to give up his job, his car, and his family to have nothing, to go and live with her family who live 4 hours a way. I feel like they've taken him away from me. She calls all the shots, won't tell her parents how the pregnancy come about, because they are rich snooty people who will most likely judge, so she goes with the "I was on the pill" story.

I'm struggling to accept this whole thing to be honest. I want to embrace this, but she's knocked back everything I've offered so her family could get it, probably making up a story there, I genuinely want to be involved but I fear now I'll never see my grandchild, let alone my own son.

So should i just not think about being a grandma and eliminate the stress, or actually fight to be a part of the child's life even though I have to deal with a controlling and manipulating 17 year old.

Her parents already judge me and say she will end up like me, I've never met them, they refuse to meet me, however just because I have tattoos and had a kid at 16 doesn't make me scum, I work and operate a business on my own as well as be a mum to my other children. I'm all over it lol

Sounds like you will be great support for your daughter, I wish you all the best. I'd love to hear how you get on. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum didn't want to be 'Grandma' or 'Nana'. Our family are Welsh and 'Nain' means 'Nana' - my mum thought that it sounded too harsh/German for 'No' so she adapted it to 'Nini'

It's amazing how the names suits her so much and that's what the grandkids call her - kids will obviously call you whatever they are told to

You could somehow include your first name - a friend is called 'Nana Kez'

Hope you find a name that you like for yourself (What do you think your husband will be called?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Smurfy View Post
    My husband's mum is Lola to all her grandkids (it's Filipino for grandma)

Good luck to you and your daughter
    My mum is Lola too. We aren't from the Philippines but she came across this while I was pregnant and thought it was a good alternative to grandma or nana!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum is called mumma by my son and grandma by my niece by she prefers mumma. It's very supportive of you to be there for them when you know the struggles of having kids so young aswell. A girl I used to work with was dating someone for a year when she found out she was pregnant (due in 3weeks now). She told him and he dumped her on the spot, she hasn't heard from him since and doesn't care anymore as is if he is treating her like this before the baby (a boy) is born imagine what it will be like when he is here in a couple of weeks. His family have tried reasoning and talking to them and they are so sorry their son has done this to her as their relationship was rock solid (both 26). She isn't putting on the birth certificate at all but she does know she will get less Centrelink and no child support from him (he's an engineer on very good $). So money isn't a factor and never was she just wanted him to actually want to be in his sons life not tell people she had an abortion such clearly she did not tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.
    She is going for her first antenatal appt this week and her 12 week scan.
    I am torn because i know the father has rights and all that, but I just know its going to be hard for my daughter now that he has moved on and has a girlfriend etc. I am still angry at him and actually wish he had decided to not be a part of the baby's life - i think it would be so much easier. I know I am being selfish and Im sure with time i will come to terms with him being around, its her dad, my DH that I have to worry about. He is adamant that the ex will not be in the room when she gives birth - his thoughts are they arent a couple and therefore he has no right to be there....Again, something that will have be worked out in time.
    I am trying to not get too excited until after the 12 week scan when I know everything is ok but I cant wait to go shopping
    I have 4 daughters so I am praying for a grandson but hey as long as its healthy and happy I dont care

Thanks
    Reviews
    im sorry you are going through this. I feel for you. this is why Im trying to not be a ***** to the father....its not either of their faults in my situation, just an accident (she was on depo)
    I hope your son is able to voice his opinions and that you get to be involved in both your son's and your grandchild's lives. xx

Quote Originally Posted by tamzmaree View Post
    Hi there, I too will be a grandma this year at 36. In September my son (19) and his girlfriend, 17, who wanted to get pregnant with bring a baby girl into the world, I'm more so lost because, my son who is a mummy's boy has just been forced to give up his job, his car, and his family to have nothing, to go and live with her family who live 4 hours a way. I feel like they've taken him away from me. She calls all the shots, won't tell her parents how the pregnancy come about, because they are rich snooty people who will most likely judge, so she goes with the "I was on the pill" story.

I'm struggling to accept this whole thing to be honest. I want to embrace this, but she's knocked back everything I've offered so her family could get it, probably making up a story there, I genuinely want to be involved but I fear now I'll never see my grandchild, let alone my own son.

So should i just not think about being a grandma and eliminate the stress, or actually fight to be a part of the child's life even though I have to deal with a controlling and manipulating 17 year old.

Her parents already judge me and say she will end up like me, I've never met them, they refuse to meet me, however just because I have tattoos and had a kid at 16 doesn't make me scum, I work and operate a business on my own as well as be a mum to my other children. I'm all over it lol

Sounds like you will be great support for your daughter, I wish you all the best. I'd love to hear how you get on. xx