+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Wwyd?

another WWYD thread!

ds is 3 months next week and dh and I haven't ever been away from him. is like to start making couple time a priority as I feel we need to put us back on the agenda at some stage!? anyway I have no family here and all of dh's family live much further out. his mother does not drive.

as a result of the above, I don't feel comfortable leaving ds when he's so young with anyone.

I'm really unsure of what to do though. like how do other people do it? I guess we could always take ds out with us on date nights but I would like even just an hour or 2 per week/fortnight where we can just be alone and get out of the house.

any suggestions hubbers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wwyd?

We don't get date nights. Haven't for a few years. Our "our time" happens when he is home (shift worker) after the kids are in bed (medical issues with one of them so could be up to 1 or 2 in the morning). We just watch a telly show together. We usually pick a series and watch one or two episodes when we get the chance. Then when that's done, we pick a new series.

ETA we used to just take them with us (6, 4, 3 and 2) but one of them has autism and cannot handle being in a restaurant etc.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 18-05-2016 at 14:31.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in a similar position with no family support and no friends that would have really felt comfortable leaving DS with. Although now that he's a bit older (just turned 3) I would leave him with friends.

When DS was that age, we'd take him out with us for dinner. It was actually easier at that age than it is now as he gets bored easily.

We had a wedding to go to when DS was around 4 months old so I had to find a babysitter for that. We used find a babysitter and so far we have only used the same person and DS loves her. It's a bit of a pain when she isn't available so it's meant we can't really be spontaneous any more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are in the same boat but with a 3,5 & 7 year old.. We have gotten to the point where we just bring them with us. Not much else i can do bout it. We have only ever had one night childless ever. Do u have a friend that could watch bubs for 2-3 hours, so u can go to dinner?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't often. We got a couple of hours for lunch around CHRISTMAS (went to stay with family in another state and they looked after the kids). Before that was about a year ago before DS was born; spent a day together while our then 2.5 year old was at childcare. Before that was another 12 months prior, when MIL babysat our (sleeping) DD for a couple of hours while we went to a show. She now lives 3 hours away though.

Mostly our together time is with the kids, or in the evenings once the kids are sleeping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    *Christmas

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    We are in the same boat but with a 3,5 & 7 year old.. We have gotten to the point where we just bring them with us. Not much else i can do bout it. We have only ever had one night childless ever. Do u have a friend that could watch bubs for 2-3 hours, so u can go to dinner?
    nobody I'd really trust him with at this age. I'm a total control freak to start with and I'd really only trust my parents or my sister who already has a bub too to watch him. maybe I'm going over the top but I wouldn't enjoy myself if I left him with someone I didn't completely trust.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We take our children with us.
    They are 3 and 5. We always have done it this way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to giveitago For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as everyone else here. Last alone time DH and I had was the length of movie on Boxing Day last year. My sister looked after DS2. Before I honestly don't remember.

I don't leave my children with anyone other than my sister and I'll leave DS2 with his big brother (21) but that's it.. I'm paranoid and thankfully DH respects that but it's hard.

So I would suggest getting bub settled down to sleep (as best as you can at that age!). Lighting some candles, have a nice meal, watch a movie, snuggle on the lounge - you get my drift!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    nobody I'd really trust him with at this age. I'm a total control freak to start with and I'd really only trust my parents or my sister who already has a bub too to watch him. maybe I'm going over the top but I wouldn't enjoy myself if I left him with someone I didn't completely trust.
    Is there someone you could trust with him while he's sleeping? Perhaps if there's a period that he normally has a decent sleep (first sleep of the evening? Or during the day?) you could put him down and just head out for an hour or so?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-05-2016)