+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My midwife recommended I do placenta encapsulation before the birth of my third bub as my previous two births has resulted in very, very low iron levels. And consequently not feeling well.
    So I arranged for a lovely lady to come and collect my placenta a few hours after birth. She returned my capsules the following day. Cost $200. She also brought me 'mothers broth' which is like a stock made from the placenta that you can freeze and put into smoothies. And a little piece of the cord, kind of freeze dried into a pendant! I didn't use the mothers broth but took the capsules for a few weeks afterwards and felt the best I ever had after birth and no issues with anaemia 😄 It was very easy to arrange.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    I did enjoy the "The Katering Show" episode where they made a "plasagne" (placenta lasagne)...
    That was comedy gold! And breast milk ice cream! Ha ha ha ha

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    this is totally something I have only ever heard of from being here on bubhub. I have never known anything about this in my life before joining bubhub. I think it is interesting. For myself , I might plant a tree with the placenta. Perhaps I could handle taking capsules, but it is all only thoughts for me. marie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it if I had another baby.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I very nearly did it with my second baby and the only reason I didn't in the end was for logistical reasons. I had had PND with my oldest and was willing to try just about anything to avoid it again.

Thankfully I was on cloud 9 after the birth, not even a hint of the baby blues so I didn't feel regret not doing it in the end.

Edit to add: should say I had planned to have mine encapsulated. Would never eat it any other way I don't think.
    Last edited by Barnaby; 18-05-2016 at 19:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't do it myself, but can't see any issue with it if people want to. To each their own and all. If it's something someone wants to do, then that's great.

My only concern would be that it's all anecdote and anthropology based at this point, there's no real evidence behind it. I dislike the...misleading advertising i guess? of some, who claim that it has all these amazing benefits (and make money out of the practice), when we really don't at this point whether it does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I wouldn't do it myself, but can't see any issue with it if people want to. To each their own and all. If it's something someone wants to do, then that's great.

My only concern would be that it's all anecdote and anthropology based at this point, there's no real evidence behind it. I dislike the...misleading advertising i guess? of some, who claim that it has all these amazing benefits (and make money out of the practice), when we really don't at this point whether it does.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Raw, dried and crushed to be used in pills or smoothies, or turned in to a meal - the consumption of one's placenta has definitely gained traction over the years.

With very little research to either back up or refute the claims, leaving mostly anecdotes to go on, it's no wonder we're divided on it.

Does the thought of consuming your afterbirth make your stomach churn or are you all for it?
    There's no way I could do this. The thought makes me queasy! If there was substantial evidence for benefits I might try to overcome my initial hesitation though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. To me it's human waste and the thought makes me positively ill. Each to their own though.
    I don't particularly like the unsubstantiated claims made about the benefits, and some of the 'reasonings' behind I've seen behind why it's "good for us" are a bit ridiculous IMO (ie: animals eat it in the wild, therefore it must be healthy. No, animals eat it in the wild because it's a waste product that will attract predators to their newborn babies...).

Maybe it's beneficial to people, maybe it's a placebo effect. However, charging people a whole heap of money for something that has no scientific backing is being done all the time I guess! If people are willing to pay, that's entirely up to them and of no consequence to me. I'm sure I've paid for things with no scientific backing in the past because I thought it would be benefit me (ie I'm not saying anyone who does want to pay for something like this is silly or anything!)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (18-05-2016),BettyV  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it's definitely not for me and being pretty science driven I think the benefits are likely placebo.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (18-05-2016)