+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not my thing as we did a birthing ceremony with my daughters placentas. It's a sacred ceremony so can't give too many details but basically you plant the placenta with a tree of choice. It's essentially giving the placenta back to Mother Earth to provide new life again.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (18-05-2016),hopeful1986  (18-05-2016),SuperGranny  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I'd take it in capsules if it wasn't a pain to organise or cost too much.
    my lady came to collect it from the hospital. we just had to have the placenta bagged up on ice in a little esky. i had to bring my own esky in obviously and checked ahead that the hospital could provide ice (which they did). the only thing I had to ensure was that the placenta didn't come into contact with any chemicals or nasty things during surgery but I flagged this a few times with the staff on duty and they told the doctor who delivered ds.

I wasn't worried about the waste in/out aspect at all. the placenta is steamed in the TCM method (which is why I chose it) and they wouldn't offer it if it was a health hazard in respect to bodily waste from bub.

the cost was a little off putting ($375 total including $50 pick up/drop off as we were outside of her usual area) but I'd still do it again.

ingesting the placenta in non-capsule form is definitely stomach churning to me. I couldn't just eat it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The thought of consuming it makes my stomach churn, I can't even eat offal.

We kept ours and it will go back to NZ to be buried. We bury it to signify the physical and spiritual connection to the land. At the moment it's in the freezer *gag*. It's not meant to be stored with food as it is considered sacred but I only have one freezer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

We kept ours and it will go back to NZ to be buried. We bury it to signify the physical and spiritual connection to the land. At the moment it's in the freezer *gag*. It's not meant to be stored with food as it is considered sacred but I only have one freezer.
    is it sacred due to cultural traditions or is it actually considered sacred?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I wasn't worried about the waste in/out aspect at all. the placenta is steamed in the TCM method (which is why I chose it) and they wouldn't offer it if it was a health hazard in respect to bodily waste from bub.
    If the TCM method is removing any waste, isn't it also removing all of the good stuff?

And as for trusting that they wouldn't offer it if it was a health hazard, there isn't enough research at present, so they can't really guarantee that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    Not my thing as we did a birthing ceremony with my daughters placentas. It's a sacred ceremony so can't give too many details but basically you plant the placenta with a tree of choice. It's essentially giving the placenta back to Mother Earth to provide new life again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

I have family that did this. It actually sounds lovely to have a tree with a connection to the beginning of life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    is it sacred due to cultural traditions or is it actually considered sacred?
    Culturally.

Eta-because it is human waste all the paperwork from the hospital says not to store it with food either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (18-05-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did it, I had mine encapsulated and it was worth it for me. Had ample supply, no baby blues, whenever I have an emotionally tough day I take one (I still have some left in the freezer) and it seems to help me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (18-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yuck yuck yuck. Cannibalism!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (18-05-2016),Ngaiz  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not for me - once I'd seen it, I was more than happy for them to take it away.

I did enjoy the "The Katering Show" episode where they made a "plasagne" (placenta lasagne)...