+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg I wrote a long post and lost it! So annoying!

This thread has been really interesting.

I was fascinated to get a guided tour of my placenta from my midwife after my bub was born. I was kind of in awe, and proud – look, me and my placenta sustained my bub for almost 9 months!

Didn’t want to eat it though. Not for me. Not enough of an evidence base… and… for me - blerg!

I thought about taking it home to plant in the garden, but ultimately it all felt too hard to organise saving it and getting it home, where would we put it, didn’t want it in the freezer, etc.

The legal questions have got me interested though. Yep, I’m avoiding other work today!

Firstly, I don’t think placenta encapsulation would be regarded as cannibalism. Cannibalism is generally regarded as eating the tissue or organs of another person. Even if it was considered ‘cannibalism’, I don’t think it’s illegal in Australia. Like @Moxy, I’m taking this from a quick Google search, and happy to be pointed to something showing that it is. It would generally be the related offences of murder, interfering with a corpse, etc, that would be illegal – and these would not apply here.

Secondly, I don’t think the placenta can properly said to ‘belong’ to the mother or the baby, as people don’t ‘own’ body parts or tissue (unless there’s some work or skill applied to transforming them in some way, which I’ll come to in a minute).

It’s generally illegal to sell human tissue – either your own or someone else’s. How an encapsulator can charge for doing this would be because they, firstly, charge for their services, and secondly, their application of work and skill has transformed the placenta into something that is capable of sale (ie it’s not just a ‘raw product’ anymore).

As to I think it was @Silver flute’s question about what regulates placenta encapsulation, I would say it’s fairly unregulated.
    @J37, the Human Tissues Acts generally relate to donation, anatomy schools and post mortems, none of which are applicable here.

As to things that might apply – maybe the Therapeutic Goods Administration may have a role? It’s generally claimed that the placenta tablets have a therapeutic benefit – maybe they’d been considered a complementary medicine? There are also regulations about advertising of therapeutic products, or products claiming to improve health, etc.

It’s possible food standards legislation could be applicable too.

Ahem – ‘food’ for thought!
    Yep – really should get to that work I have to do today

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny Danza For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-05-2016),Sairz  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I think the next step is actually people wiping their vaginal flora on their baby if born by a c-section 😉
    And yes, each to their own. I was just surprised that you thought it was a misfortune that you had to see them...as my midwives really talked fondly of them (not to eat...but their function). I think all organs are pretty amazing (accept the appendix...it's a bit useless), but the placenta more so as it kept my babies alive. That's really special.
    Exactly... the placenta keeps baby alive so very obviously is full of nutrients 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I dont understand... what other way is there to a deliver a placenta other than doing it yourself? Do you mean catching it when it came out?
    Was thinking the same 😂 Mine just came out following the baby not long after each time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Was thinking the same 😂 Mine just came out following the baby not long after each time.
    Both times, mine was basically scraped out by the OB, who was nearly elbow deep. I was bleeding and they just wouldn't come out on their own, nor did tugging on the cord work. (It was that or theatre!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Both times, mine was basically scraped out by the OB, who was nearly elbow deep. I was bleeding and they just wouldn't come out on their own, nor did tugging on the cord work. (It was that or theatre!)
    Ouch. Did you get pain relief? Or was there no time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Ouch. Did you get pain relief? Or was there no time?
    I had an epidural both times and the birth wasn't painful, but it didn't stop the pain of the placenta removal. At least it was over in a couple of minutes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    That was me but I ended in theatre. Didn't have an epi for birth but they gave me one for the placenta removal.