+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Placentophagy - where do you stand?

I think sterility of the end result/pill is not so important (the stomach is not a sterile/aseptic environment) but the sterilisation of equipment used in order to avoid cross contamination. Even if the encapsulator will not do placentas with HIV, hepatitis etc, there's still no guarantee that without proper sterilising equipment you are not ingesting particles of other women's placentas. Even if you were happy to eat your own, I think a lot of women might draw the line at eating other people's? I dunno, entirely up to the women making the choice obviously, but that would be my concern.
    Second shout out for @SheWarrior....would be a really interesting perspective to get.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver flute For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I'd love to get @SheWarrior to weigh in on this convo as she encapsulates placentas so could hopefully clear up a lot of the speculation for us.

I honestly believe that it's such a specialized and unappetizing line of work that it would take a pretty dedicated person to do it. I think it would therefore follow that someone with such an interest in this area would surely, by extension, ensure they are working to the highest of standards and silly errors like mixing up a lady's placenta with that of another, would not happen.

as for sterility, I don't think other food we eat is sterile? baby formula is not sterile. I don't think there's any requirement for things we intend to ingest to have been prepared in a sterile environment? I may be wrong on this point so happy to be corrected if I am.
    You can complete courses (bloodborne pathogens safety, for example), but there are currently no regulations for encapsulation services, so no one will be checking what the preparation area is like.
    With the photo that I mentioned earlier, there is no way I would be okay with her preparing my placenta, yet she's highly regarded.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I don't think you'd use mortar and pestle to grind up a placenta - that would take forever!

It is an interesting question though that I didn't ask my encapsulation lady in detail. All I know is she wouldn't work with your placenta if you had a positive test for HIV, hep C etc and that she would only do one placenta at a time and with a turn around of 3 days that's about 2 placentas a week.
    This wouldn't ensure she isn't though unless she is testing people herself, there are also other blood borne diseases worth considering.

Like others have said the end product doesn't have to be sterile but the equipment needs to be between uses to avoid cross contamination.

For example, would people be ok having a nasogastric tube (tube down nose into stomach for drainage or feeding) reused on themselves after I had just popped it through the dishwasher? I can't imagine many would, I think fairy tablets are great and my dishwasher is awesome but it's not sterile.

The capsules go into the exact same place!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

J37  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd love to get @SheWarrior to weigh in on this convo as she encapsulates placentas so could hopefully clear up a lot of the speculation for us.

I honestly believe that it's such a specialized and unappetizing line of work that it would take a pretty dedicated person to do it. I think it would therefore follow that someone with such an interest in this area would surely, by extension, ensure they are working to the highest of standards and silly errors like mixing up a lady's placenta with that of another, would not happen.

as for sterility, I don't think other food we eat is sterile? baby formula is not sterile. I don't think there's any requirement for things we intend to ingest to have been prepared in a sterile environment? I may be wrong on this point so happy to be corrected if I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver flute View Post
    I think sterility of the end result/pill is not so important (the stomach is not a sterile/aseptic environment) but the sterilisation of equipment used in order to avoid cross contamination. Even if the encapsulator will not do placentas with HIV, hepatitis etc, there's still no guarantee that without proper sterilising equipment you are not ingesting particles of other women's placentas. Even if you were happy to eat your own, I think a lot of women might draw the line at eating other people's? I dunno, entirely up to the women making the choice obviously, but that would be my concern.
    Second shout out for @SheWarrior....would be a really interesting perspective to get.
    It is a very unregulated area so of course there are dodgy encapsultors out there who wouldnt follow basic hygene practices.

Personally, I thoroughly santise the work area prior to all encapsulations and after. With the exception of the actualy dehydrator and blender, all equipment I use in the preparation is disposed of after each one. The equipment thats not disposed of is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before and after every use.

In the rare event i have more than 1 placenta at a time, it is always clearly labeled and kept separately to avoid any chance of mix up. I will not process 2 placentas at the same time. Yes this may mean a slight delay in some people recieving their tablet (by 24 hours) but so far when this has happened my clients are more than happy to wait and know i am taking every precaution to avoid any mix up.

Another option is to do the encapsulation in the clients home. That way they can see the area its prepped in, and know there is absolutely no chance of a mix up or cross contamination. I have never had anyone choose this though.

I did the same safe food handling course that chefs do, and also the bloodborne pathogens course. I was also taught by an experienced professional who has also worked in the medical field for many years and who is very strict on safe practices to avoid cross contamination etc.

Sadly, being an unregulated area, there are bound to be a few who dont follow stringent guidelines like I was taught. Which is scary.

Eta- I am also more than happy for clients or prospective clients to inspect my prep area if they wish and go through the hygene and safety practices i follow.
    Last edited by SheWarrior; 20-05-2016 at 11:00.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-05-2016),atomicmama  (20-05-2016),babyno1onboard  (20-05-2016),ilex  (20-05-2016),mummymaybe  (20-05-2016),Ngaiz  (20-05-2016),Silver flute  (20-05-2016),Sonja  (20-05-2016),SuperGranny  (20-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @SheWarrior thanks for that.

How are you going? You've been missed 😘

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (20-05-2016),SuperGranny  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @SheWarrior thanks for that.

How are you going? You've been missed 😘
    No problems.

Im going ok. Wont hijack the thread though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks for popping in to give us that info @SheWarrior

☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks for popping in to give us that info @SheWarrior

☺️
    My pleasure. I understand peoples concerns surrounding cross contamination and hygene etc. I think the best advice I can give is if you are considering having it done but are worried, ask what training they have had, what procedures they follow and even if you can see the area for yourself. A good encapsultor should be more than happy to provide proof and answers to any questions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And just one more point I would like to make- as an encapsultor myself I never EVER tell people the benefits are proven. It is purely anecdotal. I do tell them that between myself and my partner we have done over 300 placenta encapsulations and out of that only 1 lady has said it made no difference to her. I am a big believer in open and honest communication with our prospective clients and i will not tell them something is proven when in fact its not.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-05-2016),Silver flute  (20-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SheWarrior. Good to hear from you again😀