+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Placentophagy - where do you stand?

I am not really either excited nor turned off by the concept. If others want to do it, that's their business.

As for doing it myself - I'm a lazy sceptic at the best of times. *if* someone presented me with a robust scientific paper proving the medicinal benefits I might consider it.... *If* there was a provider that was formally registered with a government health/food providing regulatory body. I am also paranoid - would be too worried Jane Schmoe would be cooking up my placenta in the big saucepan she used to cook last nights strog... With Ash from her ciggie falling into the pot while she was taking a puff. I would also be worried about mix ups and eating someone else's bits by mistake. Probably not fair to all the trustworthy placenta people out there I know - however I fell I would need some formal government regulation and oversight to be comfortable with participating.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-05-2016),Tinkers  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's quite an experience @rose, I imagine it to feel like a water balloon. I could not have touched my own placenta. Looking at it made me feel sick, but it has to be said.. How amazing are our bodies!
    My sister had her's encapsulated. I'm not too sure if it was worth it, quite expensive and not the easiest to organise At the hospital. The midwives forgot and threw it in the bin. Yeah, not too sure I would have continued with encapsulation after that.
    Another placenta story, my friends sister birthed hers (home birth), kept it in a bowl with a damp cloth over the top, waited for it to come away from baby naturally, then they ate it. Too far?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume the cost factors in for some too. Despite not going through with it, that wasn't an issue for us.

It's definitely a nice to have, not an essential. But so is so much more.

We all do $hit with little or no fact based research to back it up so I think that reason is overused (on BH anyway). As a society we spend thousands on beauty products, health treatments (e.g acupuncture), weight loss products, fad diets, etc. This is just another one of those things.

To each her own. If you want to do it, and it makes you feel good - go for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    That's quite an experience @rose, I imagine it to feel like a water balloon. I could not have touched my own placenta. Looking at it made me feel sick, but it has to be said.. How amazing are our bodies!
    My sister had her's encapsulated. I'm not too sure if it was worth it, quite expensive and not the easiest to organise At the hospital. The midwives forgot and threw it in the bin. Yeah, not too sure I would have continued with encapsulation after that.
    Another placenta story, my friends sister birthed hers (home birth), kept it in a bowl with a damp cloth over the top, waited for it to come away from baby naturally, then they ate it. Too far?
    Wait, so your sister still had the placenta encapsulated after it went in the bin? 😨

That's called a lotus birth. I wouldn't want to eat a placenta that has been sitting around for days... Though, I suppose it wouldn't be too different to storing meat before refrigeration, considering a lot of people rub salt on the placenta until the cord detaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @VicPark your post reminded me of a photo an encapsulator (? I shall call her that 😉) posted of her preparing a placenta one time. I was shocked by the amount of cr@p in her kitchen. There's no way it would have been a sterile environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    @VicPark your post reminded me of a photo an encapsulator (? I shall call her that 😉) posted of her preparing a placenta one time. I was shocked by the amount of cr@p in her kitchen. There's no way it would have been a sterile environment.
    Just the sentence "preparing it in her kitchen" causes me to worry!!

And yes, you are right. Unless she had a sterile fume/cupboard and autoclave in next to her fridge, it ain't sterile. Gown, mask and gloves too?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Just the sentence "preparing it in her kitchen" causes me to worry!!

And yes, you are right. Unless she had a sterile fume/cupboard and autoclave in next to her fridge, it ain't sterile. Gown, mask and gloves too?

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    As far as I'm aware, most people that offer the service do it in their kitchen.
    I don't have an issue with that in itself, but it's ridiculous that cake makers must have their kitchens inspected and approved, yet someone can grind up a human organ and turn it in to pills without the same need for approval.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-05-2016),J37  (20-05-2016),smallpotatoes  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There seems to be a big hang up about the sanitisation aspects of the encapsulation...but surely there are women who do it themselves? Or just swallow pill sized pieces that are cut off the placenta and frozen. Do people take such big issue with it then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Yep.
    Ah, I see. I was wondering how else it could come out! I delivered my placentas....naturally? if that is the word, but they liked to hang around for a while, & I found it a nusciance because of strong contractions until the damn thing was out! I wanted to focus on my baby instead of focussing on delivering a placenta. I'm suprised by the weights of you & PP's though -my placentas were small (as were my babies) & failed towards the end of the pregnancy, the last one was 400g.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Pretty sure most food I eat hasn't been autoclaved. 😂 maybe irradiated though.