+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I love them too. However the two times I received those gifts the fit was pretty poor so they never got worn.

It was beautiful though and I still remember them fondly.
    Good point as I won't be able to test the fit.
    Think I am leaning towards store bought and just sewing for myself and family or if someone makes a specific request.

Thanks for all the replies 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definately love homemade stuff. So much more special and way better than cheap plastic crap that often gets given.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Store bought or hand made, I don't really dress my kids in anything that needs ironing (perhaps I'm just lazy 😂). I certainly appreciate the effort that goes into hand made stuff, but I just know it will hang in the wardrobe unworn until it is too small.
    Costumes would be fantastic though

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shoveover For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I don't like clothes for gifts at all.
    Especially for my son, I would much prefer a book or a toy for him. Children don't get any joy from clothing, but they can get so much enjoyment from a book of a toy.

(My MIL often buys him clothes, he rarely wears them as I don't like them and she tends to find quite feminine pieces. My Mum often knits him jumpers and things, he wears them often but she doesn't give them as gifts).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    Honestly, I don't like clothes for gifts at all.
    Especially for my son, I would much prefer a book or a toy for him. Children don't get any joy from clothing, but they can get so much enjoyment from a book of a toy.

(My MIL often buys him clothes, he rarely wears them as I don't like them and she tends to find quite feminine pieces. My Mum often knits him jumpers and things, he wears them often but she doesn't give them as gifts).
    I agree to an extent. My kids actually love clothes, ds mainly the licensed ones with superhero characters.
    Toys they also like but at their age some toys get played with for a week then completely forgotten.
    For now I am just going to keep making clothes for my own family and once I think my sewing is perfect I may make things as gifts but only for people I know well who I think would actually like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a thought of making blankets, doona covers or just pillow slips? These are less or a 'fit' issue and u can make with cool fabric or sew some shapes/well whatever is cool for the age on....kids like special pillow cases or throw rugs....I use the iron on adhesive then edge round it...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lisau77 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love homemade gifts in general.

Homemade clothes are a bit hit and miss as depending on the garment the sizing or fit can be tricky.

My bestie bought two long sleeve tops from Target and hand stitched a fabric letter on the front (DS's first initital) and they were just so cute. Still two of my favourite ever tops that DS has had.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do u like home sewn clothes as gifts?

The only clothes we've been given are a couple of knitted jumpers which the kids both loved! They looked gorgeous in them too.

Both kids have been given quilts when they were born from a family member and they are awesome! So much time and effort went into them and it's something they can keep forever. I love personal thoughtful gifts like that.

We've also been given a knitted blanket for DD, but I've never used it as it is gorgeous and I know she would drag it around the house and wreck it. So it's put away until she's a bit older and can appreciate it.

So yes, I would. I try to buy handmade when I can. I've got handmade dolls and things like that as I think they are much nicer than the generic ones and last longer. Someone bought DD a store bought doll and it lasted 6 months. My handmade ones are still going strong 2 years on!
    Last edited by Californication; 19-05-2016 at 10:44.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (19-05-2016)