Working from home with a 3yo- help! | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working from home with a 3yo- help!

I run a small business which will be expanding next year (if things go to plan) when I move my business to a commercial premises. Before that can happen I have so much work to do and a very clingy 3yo. He starts kindy (QLD) next year so for the next 8 months, while he's still at home every day, I'm going to be cramming my work in whenever I can.

What are your best tips for entertaining small children while you're working from home? How do you organise your day? How do you find the time to fit everything in? I really need to be working 3-4 hours per day to meet my goals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do they still nap? My 3 year old still pretty much needs my full attention for most of the day. She has bursts of playing solo that can last a surprisingly long time, but I can't imagine really being able to focus on something else for 3-4 hours. It's a pretty demanding age. TV time in bursts throughout the day? Day care or would a family member help babysit - even in your home? It's a tough one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Once Upon a Time  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so hard! I have a 2.5 year old who still naps, so that is when I do my work. Otherwise it's basically impossible apart from random emails to customers.
    I have gone to play centres/library/child friendly Cafes to do work also, but that is obviously the admin side so not sure if it works for you.
    Some days DD2 just has to watch some TV if I have to get something done.
    I used to use au pairs when I really needed to do a full day. There may be some in your area that are looking for extra work and could help out for a couple of hours.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I sometimes work from home, my DD is only 2 but I find the best way to get work done is first thing in the morning, she will watch tv in the office next to me, then scribble on scrap paper giving me a total of about 45 min.
    She will also happily play outside (plays with the dog, in sandpit, slide, in the dirt lol) for about 45 min while I work (at a high table so she can't climb on me).
    I sit her next to me at the table with an activity eg:stickers, but most of the time she needs a lot of help so I don't get much done.
    Nap time & after she goes to bed at night. If DH is home he does bath/bed which can buy me some time too.
    Can you do daycare even 1 day a week? You could get so much done with just 1 solid days work.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a mattress under my desk and set him up with toys and snacks and iPad and can get about 2 hours with him in his little space under there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those are some really great ideas. Thanks! He does nap on occasion and will have a 2hr block if he does. I can get a fair bit done then. I don't mind being interrupted most of the time but sometimes when I'm working on a task that requires a lot of research and scouring through studies I find that I'm having to go over it 3 or 4 times and it's taking up a lot of my work hours. I'm thinking of enrolling him into a pre-kindy program at my older son's school next term but until then I think I'll be taking my laptop down to the play centre for a few minutes peace and creating a little hideout under my desk (such a great idea)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work from home with my SB too but my DD is only 1 so much easier. I take her out in the mornings to wear her out so I can get work done in the afternoons as she'll sleep then for 2-3 hours. I also fit bursts of work in when she's eating breakfast, lunch, snacks. I'm subbing to get some ideas as I'll be in your shoes in 2 years 😁

It's a struggle some days especially if she doesn't sleep for at least 2 hours and I find I'm too exhausted to do much at night once DH gets home.