+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Help! Girls weekend and no mobile coverage :/

So this weekend I'm booked in to go away with my girlfriends to stay in a holiday house which is kinda remote in location (my friend made the booking).

I've now done my research and found that there is no mobile coverage in the area at all

I don't like the thought of being uncontactable when I'm away from my DH & DS for two nights just in case there's some sort of emergency.

I've asked my friend to check with the owner to see if there's a landline at this place, but until then - can anyone tech-savvy tell me if there's some way I can keep in touch with home if my mobile has no service?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So not even Telstra mobile coverage? If there's no landline and no Telstra coverage, I'd say your only options are to buy a satellite phone (which is not really an option due to the cost) or to drive into the closest town with reception once or twice a day and call home to check in. Or just enjoy being unplugged for two days as the chances of anything bad happening are really pretty low (though I'd struggle with this too!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by besha View Post
    So not even Telstra mobile coverage? If there's no landline and no Telstra coverage, I'd say your only options are to buy a satellite phone (which is not really an option due to the cost) or to drive into the closest town with reception once or twice a day and call home to check in. Or just enjoy being unplugged for two days as the chances of anything bad happening are really pretty low (though I'd struggle with this too!)
    No - not even Telstra by the looks of their coverage map!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Girls weekend and no mobile coverage :/

This could sound really stupid but does it have Internet (don't know whether you can get internet without mobile coverage)? If so could you skype or use messenger?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (17-05-2016),Mod-Myztik  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    You can hire sat phones from Telstra

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bump!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live fairly rural and have areas with minimal/no coverage. My parents house, you can't talk on your mobile in the house but outside in one spot on there verandah you can. The place your going to may be similar. Fingers crossed!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RM05MB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Really unhelpful advice I know, but just enjoy being disconnected! If there is an emergency I'm sure your DH could ring the number the booking was made through, and get in contact that way.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Really unhelpful advice I know, but just enjoy being disconnected! If there is an emergency I'm sure your DH could ring the number the booking was made through, and get in contact that way.
    I was just thinking of that. Apparently the owner's house is on the same property but a good few acres away from the holiday house.

Hopefully when he returns my friend's call there will be options offered to set my mind at ease.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Full House  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RM05MB View Post
    We live fairly rural and have areas with minimal/no coverage. My parents house, you can't talk on your mobile in the house but outside in one spot on there verandah you can. The place your going to may be similar. Fingers crossed!
    I've lived/stayed in places like that. I found I could send and receive texts if I was eg. towards the front of the house or halfway down the driveway. Calls seem to need more signal than text.

If you're with Telstra you could also get a cheap 'blue tick' handset. DH always had one of these on the road and would get signal when his colleague's iPhones etc had dropped out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post: