+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who has used a sleep consultant?

So I've posted before about my DD (12weeks) inability to sleep.
    We are still getting up 5 times a night and she sleeps in 15 minute blocks during the day.
    I'm about to call a sleep consultant because I am hanging by a thread. So for those who have had one in what tips did they give you? Do you have a programme to follow? Before I fork out a huge amount of money I thought I may as well try at home first.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to add, she will sleep on me or in my arms in bed for longer (up to 2 hours) Did anyone just roll with that? It's frustrating because I literally can't do anything but if that's what she needs then I will have to adapt. Am I going to create an even fussier sleeper?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did and it was the best decision of my life! We went more than 2 years in sleep hell, because I was worried a sleep consultant or school would mean crying, which just wasn't for us. But I did a phone/email/video program with 1 month email support after a personalised program was sent to us. Worth every cent! We have a kid who went from sleeping 4-6 broken hours a night to 11-12 hours straight.

I used to let my DD sleep in my arms because it was how she'd sleep best and honestly, I do regret it now. I can't be sure if that's what caused our long term problems, but it definitely made life so hard for all of us!

Also, I tried the no cry sleep book at home with no luck but for me I think I needed someone to see what was going on and tell me in a truthful yet kind way, that something needed to change and me being so easy on my daughter wasn't doing any favours to anyone. But, 2 years old is very different to 12 weeks old. So at 2 the sleep consultant could see that my daughter was definitely just being a stubborn/spoilt kid who was used to getting her own way, where as a 12 week old would need something totally different because they're genuinely crying for something, even if it's just that closeness.

But, a sleep consultant could definitely help you with a program and advise how much your child should be sleeping and help you get there.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

A&S  (17-05-2016),Fi Poledancer  (19-07-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Just to add, she will sleep on me or in my arms in bed for longer (up to 2 hours) Did anyone just roll with that? It's frustrating because I literally can't do anything but if that's what she needs then I will have to adapt. Am I going to create an even fussier sleeper?
    I just rolled with it. DS was much the same. We slept so much better just letting it happen. Not for everyone though, but sleep training wasn't for us.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I just rolled with it. DS was much the same. We slept so much better just letting it happen. Not for everyone though, but sleep training wasn't for us.
    Did you co-sleep at night? I really don't feel comfortable at night but having her in my arms in the day or laying next to her in bed I feel okay with. It's hard because I just want to do things around the house but that's near on impossible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I did and it was the best decision of my life! We went more than 2 years in sleep hell, because I was worried a sleep consultant or school would mean crying, which just wasn't for us. But I did a phone/email/video program with 1 month email support after a personalised program was sent to us. Worth every cent! We have a kid who went from sleeping 4-6 broken hours a night to 11-12 hours straight.

I used to let my DD sleep in my arms because it was how she'd sleep best and honestly, I do regret it now. I can't be sure if that's what caused our long term problems, but it definitely made life so hard for all of us!

Also, I tried the no cry sleep book at home with no luck but for me I think I needed someone to see what was going on and tell me in a truthful yet kind way, that something needed to change and me being so easy on my daughter wasn't doing any favours to anyone. But, 2 years old is very different to 12 weeks old. So at 2 the sleep consultant could see that my daughter was definitely just being a stubborn/spoilt kid who was used to getting her own way, where as a 12 week old would need something totally different because they're genuinely crying for something, even if it's just that closeness.

But, a sleep consultant could definitely help you with a program and advise how much your child should be sleeping and help you get there.
    Thank you. Yes the age difference I think makes a huge difference. It's hard because I know it's not 'behavioural' it's just the way she is. She's just not a good sleeper. I just don't want to be making it harder for her later by not pushing her to sleep alone now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used a sleep consultant - but I called her when my son was 15 months. She gave me a plan that is flexible and adaptable, and I have 3 months phone or email contact with her for any issues. She asked a lot of questions about us and our DS, and then shaped the plan around us. I don't know if any of my suggestions would help you because my son was older when we did it.

DS was much like your DD at that age. I get how exhausted you are. I get how frustrating it is. I get it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

A&S  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I have used a sleep consultant - but I called her when my son was 15 months. She gave me a plan that is flexible and adaptable, and I have 3 months phone or email contact with her for any issues. She asked a lot of questions about us and our DS, and then shaped the plan around us. I don't know if any of my suggestions would help you because my son was older when we did it.

DS was much like your DD at that age. I get how exhausted you are. I get how frustrating it is. I get it.
    Thank you. It's always reassuring to know someone else gets how damn hard it is to have a baby who doesn't sleep. Do you wish you had gotten a SC earlier? I think it's me that's the problem because I just can't handle her crying. I pick her up and cuddle her after sitting there listening and patting for 5-10 minutes. I don't have any confidence and when she cries I figure she needs something. I thought the SC might be able to help me more than anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    Thank you. Yes the age difference I think makes a huge difference. It's hard because I know it's not 'behavioural' it's just the way she is. She's just not a good sleeper. I just don't want to be making it harder for her later by not pushing her to sleep alone now.
    Absolutely hey. It's why we put it off for so long, she genuinely needed us when she was younger and it was just how she was. She got so used to having us nearby I think that it just became normal for her. So I think there must be some point where they need to be on their own but I clearly don't know when that point is haha because we went so long.

A lot of sleep consultants though will do one off telephone calls, so they could at least tell you roughly how/when/where she should be sleeping, that might help?

Good luck, it's so hard running off minimal sleep

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

A&S  (17-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    Absolutely hey. It's why we put it off for so long, she genuinely needed us when she was younger and it was just how she was. She got so used to having us nearby I think that it just became normal for her. So I think there must be some point where they need to be on their own but I clearly don't know when that point is haha because we went so long.

A lot of sleep consultants though will do one off telephone calls, so they could at least tell you roughly how/when/where she should be sleeping, that might help?

Good luck, it's so hard running off minimal sleep
    Yes exactly! I have no idea when to start being firm for her own good. Right now is probably not the right time but I feel like it's fast approaching. When she cries it just breaks my heart because I know I can fix it with a cuddle. It's such a tough gig.