Closed Thread
Page 87 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1002
  1. #861
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    20,901
    Thanked
    8,068
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hugs @tegs26, I hope you're getting some rest

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winsor For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),tegs26  (31-05-2016)

  3. #862
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanks
    1,589
    Thanked
    3,630
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @winsor i totally agree. I was hoping the young kids were donor egg kids from her sister! It was pretty sad. I have always had upfront specialists who told me all the time about my chances. I wonder if some women just don't want to hear it? I can understand that, too. Maybe I've been lucky with my specialists being straight forward??? I'm also assertive too, maybe that helps?? It's too easy to sit back and judge these ladies. I'm glad I haven't seen anything on Facebook or whatever. There would be a lot of insensitive assumptions that I'd rather not know about!!

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),faithandhopellove  (01-06-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  5. #863
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,318
    Thanks
    5,142
    Thanked
    7,768
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by winsor View Post
    I watched the show but tried to stay away from the comments. those in my twitter feed weren't too bad. I thought it was a bit one sided. I don't think all the clinics behave as they described. we were told the very low % success rates regularly and haven't been pushed to take the extra meds/treatments. I was sad for the women speaking - one was pretty angry and bitter (& I'd pre-ordered her book a couple of weeks ago but now I don't think I want to read it). they did show one younger couple going through ivf - at first I thought it was going to be purely 35+. I thought they could have mentioned donors too.
    I haven't seen the whole thing yet, just the first ten minutes but I'd agree. It was very upsetting to see those poor couples so distressed and financially wrung out. It's a shame egg donation didn't get a mention for the older couples watching and perhaps considering IVF.

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),calypso75  (31-05-2016),kylie764  (31-05-2016),Tinachris  (31-05-2016),tuxcat  (31-05-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  7. #864
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    20,901
    Thanked
    8,068
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongley View Post
    I haven't seen the whole thing yet, just the first ten minutes but I'd agree. It was very upsetting to see those poor couples so distressed and financially wrung out. It's a shame egg donation didn't get a mention for the older couples watching and perhaps considering IVF.
    yes, agree. and for more awareness. perhaps it could lead to more young people donating

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to winsor For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),calypso75  (31-05-2016),Rhino  (31-05-2016),Tinachris  (31-05-2016),tuxcat  (31-05-2016)

  9. #865
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,219
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked
    6,880
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine have as well. The issue with that was my first specialist told me we could keep trying naturally or do IVF fast forward 2 years and my second FS told us he would get us pregnant in 3 goes and he didn't. Now we have wazza. No false promises. No guarantees and no false hopes.

    One interesting thing that I found out and I am a bit bothered by it is that my donor is still in Australia she never left well she left for a few weeks to go to NZ but now she's back and she is doing another cycle for travelling donors ( I think) as she is back in Brisbane. I never considered that they would do multiple donations in Brisbane. I also can't understand why she stayed here when I paid for flights for her to go home to SA so I wonder now if my flight payment instead subsidized a holiday to NZ and perhaps the new couples flight payment (for SA to Australia) did the same? Plus how does the visitor visa that I put forward for her work. Is she still here on my visa application, was she all along ? Feeling a bit cranky at travelling donors ATM. Somethings not sitting right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinachris View Post
    @winsor i totally agree. I was hoping the young kids were donor egg kids from her sister! It was pretty sad. I have always had upfront specialists who told me all the time about my chances. I wonder if some women just don't want to hear it? I can understand that, too. Maybe I've been lucky with my specialists being straight forward??? I'm also assertive too, maybe that helps?? It's too easy to sit back and judge these ladies. I'm glad I haven't seen anything on Facebook or whatever. There would be a lot of insensitive assumptions that I'd rather not know about!!

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxwellsmum For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  11. #866
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked
    1,514
    Reviews
    0
    I watched the four corners episode and they certainly had an agenda. I wonder if someone associated with the show had had failed cycles and given up and had a bitter taste in their mouth.

    In a way it was good to see another viewpoint. You heard from people that tried and tried and tried again and were still trying. Also the lady who walked away from IVF without a baby. You never think it will be you but statistically it has to be someone. I guess it helps to know that if it is you, you are not the only one. Unfortunately clinics also advertise clinical pregnancy rates. I was looking at my clinic stats and for my age group it was something like 30% clinical pregnancy rates. My further research led me to find that about 20% of those miscarried after 7 weeks.

    Aside from that, the show made me angry. What I didn't like was the drain on taxpayers angle and also if you are 38 or older, you may as well give up before you start or else you are just headed for disappointment as no-one succeeds. I would have liked to have heard from the couples that finally got a baby on their 10th, 25th, 37th cycle, the couples that went the egg donor route, couples that went the surrogacy route. It left you feeling that it either works first go or it won't work at all and there is no other option.

    Clinics have to make their statistics available. I doubt the first woman was unaware of statistics. She tried to look shocked as they told her to when the reporter said she had a 3% chance of a live baby but she knows the odds, we all do. The woman no doubt knows she has a 3% chance and is saying to herself, well I still have a chance because when it is all that you want, you cling to any little bit of hope you can get. If you haven't been there you don't understand. Tell someone they have a 3% chance of getting eaten by a shark if they go in the ocean and they will say, well there is a 97% chance I won't so the odds are in my favour. Tell a couple desperate for a baby that they have a 3% chance and they will say, well it isn't zero so let's do it.

  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calypso75 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),Tinachris  (31-05-2016),tuxcat  (31-05-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  13. #867
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,353
    Thanks
    1,589
    Thanked
    3,630
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwellsmum View Post
    Mine have as well. The issue with that was my first specialist told me we could keep trying naturally or do IVF fast forward 2 years and my second FS told us he would get us pregnant in 3 goes and he didn't. Now we have wazza. No false promises. No guarantees and no false hopes.

    One interesting thing that I found out and I am a bit bothered by it is that my donor is still in Australia she never left well she left for a few weeks to go to NZ but now she's back and she is doing another cycle for travelling donors ( I think) as she is back in Brisbane. I never considered that they would do multiple donations in Brisbane. I also can't understand why she stayed here when I paid for flights for her to go home to SA so I wonder now if my flight payment instead subsidized a holiday to NZ and perhaps the new couples flight payment (for SA to Australia) did the same? Plus how does the visitor visa that I put forward for her work. Is she still here on my visa application, was she all along ? Feeling a bit cranky at travelling donors ATM. Somethings not sitting right.
    No wazza told me like it is when I had a random scan with him on a Saturday. It's obvious he's not in it for the money. Anyway, I'd be a lot shocked too that your donor is back in Brisbane. I think you've got some valid questions there. Could you Facebook her and ask her? Surely she has a different visa application? I guess you can't control how she spends the flight money but I would've just thought they'd go back home.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),Maxwellsmum  (31-05-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  15. #868
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked
    1,514
    Reviews
    0
    Tegs26 sorry to hear that you have had a scare. Good news that the ultrasound shows everything is in the correct place. I know it is hard not to stress and I hope the ultrasound you have had will ease your mind a little.

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calypso75 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),tegs26  (31-05-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  17. #869
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked
    1,514
    Reviews
    0

    Default IVF over 40 #32

    I would definitely question that as well @Maxwellsmum. Sounds to me that you paid for a return ticket and the other couple paid for a return ticket and only one ticket was bought. There therefore leaves the difference of the cost of one international return ticket which has either gone to the agency in South Africa or the donor was given that to pay towards her NZ holiday. No idea what visa she was on but it must have been the one so once again, two visa fees have been paid for.
    Last edited by calypso75; 31-05-2016 at 16:07.

  18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calypso75 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),Maxwellsmum  (31-05-2016),Tinachris  (31-05-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)

  19. #870
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    270
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked
    1,514
    Reviews
    0

    Default IVF over 40 #32

    @Deskar I am not sure when your scan was but I hope it has given you some answers. Thinking of you.

  20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calypso75 For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-05-2016),Blossom74  (01-06-2016),winsor  (31-05-2016)


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!