+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Best life experience

I went to Egypt in 2004 and loved it. We had a police convoy whilst driving to Dahab which was a bit scary at the time.

The Australian government currently has Egypt as an orange alert, which means reconsider your need to travel and parts of Egypt are in red alert. I read the smart traveller website today out of curiosity and it sounded a bit scary. It's not a place I would take my children after reading that.

https://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/egypt#

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I went to Egypt in 2004 and loved it. We had a police convoy whilst driving to Dahab which was a bit scary at the time.

The Australian government currently has Egypt as an orange alert, which means reconsider your need to travel and parts of Egypt are in red alert. I read the smart traveller website today out of curiosity and it sounded a bit scary. It's not a place I would take my children after reading that.

https://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/egypt#
    Guess it depends on where you go. We went to Cairo, Aswan and Luxor and had no issues at all. From the places I have seen, I have felt safe, even walking back from a cafe at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Guess it depends on where you go. We went to Cairo, Aswan and Luxor and had no issues at all. From the places I have seen, I have felt safe, even walking back from a cafe at night.
    I went to Luxor, Cairo, Aswan, Dahab, Mt Sinai and loads of other places I can't remember because it was so long ago. I was there for over 2 weeks. Went on a felucca for 3 nights on The Nile as well.

The only place I felt a bit funny was at Khan el-Khalili in Cairo.

But for a place to have an orange warning I just wouldn't risk it with my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Travelling for three months around the Middle East, Syria included. Such an eye opening experience, I witnessed beauty, poverty, kindness, humility, a little ugliness and a whole lot of perspective.

Running state athletics at school, it felt good to be a part of something.

Hot air balloon ride, how can it be exhilarating and calming at the same time

Edit, changed my answers because they were cliche
    Last edited by Koarlo; 17-05-2016 at 23:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Genuine question. Is it now safe again for tourists?
    For me, it depends if you're travelling alone or in a tour group and if you are taking children.
    If you were taking small children, no.
    If you were planning on going in a tour group, I would say yes it's safe. If you were travelling on your own I would say no and suggest a tour group. We got fed up with Cairo and skipped out of town, joining a tour group for a week down the Nile. Best decision we made in Egypt. They have tourist police stationed around Cairo but unfortunately many of them don't speak English (which is surprising because some of the street touts we met could speak 5 languages), and spend the majority of their time sleeping with a gun slung over their shoulder.