+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best life experience

Ok so I like to ask people random questions, what was one or some of your best life experiences?
    You can't say having your children/giving birth or getting married as they're so clichè.
    Looking forward to some fun and interesting answers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    1. Receiving a kidney transplant.
    2. Watching my BFFs baby come into the world.
    Both utterly life changing!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (16-05-2016),LoveLivesHere  (16-05-2016),Reneeharry  (15-05-2016),teenie  (16-05-2016),turquoisecoast  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Travelling to Cambodia and seeing true poverty for the first time. Also seeing what human beings are capable of doing to each other and the ramifications from this years later.

ETA
    I guess it is a bit morbid for a 'best life experience', but this trip changed me forever.
    Last edited by PomPoms; 15-05-2016 at 23:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Finishing uni. I was the first person in my family to do so and with very minimal help.

Recently purchasing our second property. We have worked so hard to get to this point and whilst it's been full on I'm glad we did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spending 88 days travelling through Turkey and then South America with DH and DS who was ~16-19 months at the time. We travel a lot (will travel to 14 countries on four continents in 2016 alone) but having no home and one suitcase for that big trip was utterly wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Time in Africa. It was my lifelong dream then I met DH who is South African so we both love visiting. Some of my biggest highlights so far have been spending my 30th in a fly-in camp in the Okavango delta in Botswana the night before starting a private walking safari. I will never forget that. Trekking to see mountain gorillas in Rwanda. And our last trip, a 7000km road trip up the west coast of South Africa and Namibia and over to Zambia. Nothing quite like sitting in your own car with not a soul around watching a rhino or a couple of lionesses under a tree. Just DH and I on the road having a break from ivf can't wait to take DD to see DHs home.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best life experience

Some of my best life experiences didn't necessarily feel like the best experiences at the time but they left a big mark on my life so I sort of think of them as being the best experiences.

Visiting Angola during the civil war and seeing what war, poverty and disease is really about. I spent time at an aid clinic and remember people climbing over each other, begging, screaming, all trying to scale the fence to get food aid. People who had legs blown off by land mines, children living in piles of garbage, people starving. I was 10 at the time and will never forgot it. (Imagine the responses if I started a thread about the appropriateness of taking a 10 year old to a war zone!!).

Travelling around the Middle East (before the war in Syria). I spent about a year in total mainly in Lebanon, again it showed me a different way of life and respect for other cultures.

Working! That sounds odd but I had some amazing experiences working (mainly in PNG) and found my work very rewarding and fulfilling. I still can't believe some of the seemingly impossible things that we made possible (yet I still can't get a baby to sleep...go figure). Sometimes when surveying pristine rainforests on untouched mountains i used to think someone is actually paying me for doing this? But then when getting sick, my life threatened, eating only rice for weeks and living in a rat infested mouldy camp I'd think, yup, I deserve every penny 😂

So after all the overseas travel funnily enough the ultimate experience was chartering a yacht with DF and sailing around the Whitsundays. We had not a single worry and I'd never been so relaxed in my life 😊
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 16-05-2016 at 20:02.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (16-05-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably pale compared to some of these (I'm not a world travelling type of person) but cutting my mother off a few years ago. I can't even put into words how liberating it was to suddenly, after 27 years, not have to constantly feel like I was such a small, small person. To be free of being emotionally curled up in a ball 90% of the time. And to be able to start accepting that she was at fault for all those things she did, not me.

Also. Packing up and moving halfway across the state to live in a remote little town with my little family. Our lease ran out and we had no where to go. Hubby moved in with his dad and I took our 4 kids and lived on my MILs living room floor for a month. Then we just packed our stuff up from storage and came out here. Hubby had applied for a job here but it hadn't happened yet so we really were winging it. Luck would have it, he got the job the day we arrived. Been here 18 months now and I wouldn't change it for the world. We are the happiest and most free we have ever been.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (17-05-2016),babyno1onboard  (16-05-2016),Reneeharry  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    packing up my life moving from perth to Melb on my own (as in single)

quitting a job I hated and was being bullied in and having no job to go to. 6 months of not working showed me your mental and emotional wellbeing is more important than a pay cheque and that not working isn't the end of the world. it was a liberating experience.

planning our (dh and I) first overseas trip pretty much singlehandedly and having the time of our lives. seeing Cuba for the first time was magical.

I'm the sort of weirdo who never feels the magic of the "big" life experiences as they happen. rather I look back and enjoy them retrospectively or I just enjoy the small stuff. like the first time ds smiled at me I think was somehow more special than his birth? I think I tend to get too nervous to enjoy the big events at the time and it's the small stuff that catches you off guard that truly packs the punch. I appreciate many people may not understand or agree with this. like I don't get people who say they're wedding day was the best day of their lives lol.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (16-05-2016),Reneeharry  (16-05-2016),WinterJade  (16-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreeing to let a man I'd known for 2 months follow me around the world. Falling in love through Europe then making a baby (or two) with him!