+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How often does your child go out at family daycare?

As the title says, how often does your child go out when they attend family daycare? Also, where do they go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with a new 'mum' but in the past my little ppl have been to parks, thru a car wash, mainly music, bush walks, ice cream road trip I'm not sure on how often as my kids only go 1-2days a week. I've had 5 FDC carers and only 2 do excursions the others lived on farms.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How often does your child go out at family daycare?

My carer takes her kids out every morning and then is home with them every afternoon. I love that she does this. It could be basic like one of the many local parks or rhyme time at the library or it could be to the zoo, movies, aquarium or children's farm. Each month she sends out a planner so we know where our kids are going on our days (weather dependent - if not she stays home and does extra play, craft or 'baking' etc). It also gives us something to tell the kids the night before/that morning so they can get excited.

Edit to say that she quite often goes out with one or two other family daycare ladies and their kids too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Years ago when my eldest went, she would take them out a few times a week to stuff at the library, a Playgroup run at TAFE, playground etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think they go out much at all. One day a week another carer comes over with her kids and they all have a play. She also does kinder/school drop offs and pick ups some days so they go out then. That's about it I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little girl started family daycare two months ago along with my best friends daughter. They go one day per week together.
    Over the past eight weeks once they went to the park, once to another carers house for a play and 6 times to a play centre.
    Is this normal?
    We drop them off at 9am, they then leave for the play centre, come home about 1230pm, have lunch, some art then we pick them up at 330pm.
    I get the feeling we are paying a baby sitter and not an educator so to speak.

* our day carer is a qualified primary school teacher

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had been sending my middle two to FDC a couple of years back but stopped largely due to all the outings. I do not like the idea of my children being out and about with their educator but decided to stick with it as the excursions seemed child focussed and they enjoyed them until one day I was at the check out in big w and I could hear my then two year old crying, thought I was losing my marbles as he was at FDC but turns out the educator had decided to make an outing to meet another educator and had stopped for coffee at the food court right near big w and my baby was crying because he wanted to ride in the trolley and they were sitting talking ignoring the kids!! I was very much WTF?!?! i stormed across the food court and scooped him up and she quickly grabbed out her phone and said she was just texting me to let me know they were going on an outing for 'supplies', yeah right! That was the last time they went to FDC. In all fairness I had been unhappy with the outings long before that but this confirmed my suspicions that the outings were BS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my son went to fdc they didn't really go out, only a couple of times in a couple of years because she didn't have a big enough car for 4 child seats. But once she asked to go on the bus with them to the library, and another time to a kids bike track when she had bought a bigger car (not long before we moved away). I liked that she took them out and wished it had happened more often just for the variety for my DS. Fortunately she had a huge back yard. I would be happy with any trips that were play or education based like playgrounds, music groups, play groups etc but not the shops.

My baby is starting FDC soon too and I am happy for little outings. One thing she'd like to take them to is like a professional development for carers with her scheme. They have training eg fire brigade or ambos come in and activities for the kids. Totally happy with that.