+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A few girls wanted some information and some clarification on high tech gender selection methods to help them make highly personal decisions for their family.

However then another few girls decided to start talking about their views on whether it's right or wrong.

so disappointing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say that I don't think anyone has been particularly hostile in expressing their views in this thread. I haven't read each post in detail, but from what I've seen, some posters have simply identified views that other people may hold regarding the topic. It can be an emotive one.

One of the comments above referred to sex as being binary. I thought I'd just jump in to say - no, not necessarily. Intersex conditions are more prevalent than people realise.

Intersex status means the status of having physical, hormonal or genetic features that are: (a) neither wholly female nor wholly male; or (b) a combination of female and male; or (c) neither female nor male.

Estimates of prevalence of intersex conditions range from 1 in 2000 births, to 4 in 100 births. Some say that intersex conditions are about as common as red hair.

Some common intersex traits are diagnosed prenatally. Intersex variations may be apparent at birth or become apparent at puberty, or when trying to conceive, or through random chance.

For more information, see https://oii.org.au/allies/

In other words, sex identity is more complex than a binary male / female, and gender identity (ie how someone presents in society) is a lot more complex than that - sex selection might not necessarily give you what you're expecting.

Just something to think about.
    Last edited by Tiny Danza; 21-05-2016 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No one is saying anyone is being hostile just that people are wanting information on something that interests them and then people think it's their chance to give their two bobs worth on the topic.

Again if you have no information to provide to the original poster then move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I did have valuable information to provide to the OP and those considering sex selection, as it seems that information about intersex conditions isn't widely known.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Danza View Post
    I have to say that I don't think anyone has been particularly hostile in expressing their views in this thread. I haven't read each post in detail, but from what I've seen, some posters have simply identified views that other people may hold regarding the topic. It can be an emotive one.

One of the comments above referred to sex as being binary. I thought I'd just jump in to say - no, not necessarily. Intersex conditions are more prevalent than people realise.

Intersex status means the status of having physical, hormonal or genetic features that are: (a) neither wholly female nor wholly male; or (b) a combination of female and male; or (c) neither female nor male.

Estimates of prevalence of intersex conditions range from 1 in 2000 births, to 4 in 100 births. Some say that intersex conditions are about as common as red hair.

Some common intersex traits are diagnosed prenatally. Intersex variations may be apparent at birth or become apparent at puberty, or when trying to conceive, or through random chance.

For more information, see https://oii.org.au/allies/

In other words, sex identity is more complex than a binary male / female, and gender identity (ie how someone presents in society) is a lot more complex than that - sex selection might necessarily give you what you're expecting.

Just something to think about.
    I was referring specifically to PGD testing which looks for the X or Y chromosome. I also referred to gender identity being more fluid/ subjective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    I was referring specifically to PGD testing which looks for the X or Y chromosome. I also referred to gender identity being more fluid/ subjective.

Thanks @BettyW, I wasn't criticising your post at all.

Part of my point is that an XX or XY chromosome is not the whole story about sex identity (and certainly isn't the whole story about gender identity).

Have a look at this if you're interested - http://www.isna.org/faq/y_chromosome