+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    Yes sorry, I shouldnt have said that. I just think that people have their life mapped out and assume that if they have a specific gender well then their fairy tale is complete. If you choose to have a baby with gender being the priority you *may* be setting yourself up for disappointment. Thats all.
    No that's fine I get your point. I just didn't want it lost in a small detail.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    Surely if someone doesn't agree with it they can see the title of the thread, exercise restraint and not enter the thread though?
    Why should they though? Unless it's prohibited by the section that it's contained in why shouldn't someone respectfully express a contrary view?

Surely it never hurts to understand both sides before making a decision?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (21-05-2016),JustJaq  (21-05-2016),Tinkers  (20-05-2016),VicPark  (20-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Surely if someone doesn't agree with it they can see the title of the thread, exercise restraint and not enter the thread though?
    Good point. The topic of whether to get involved or not in threads one disagrees with has been raised in the past. When it comes topics such as Asylum seekers, religious issues,discrimation etc the BH populous has generally stated things along the lines of "you can't say something that is offensive and then expect people to not respond." Not saying anyone in this thread has said anything offensive. That stand alone gender selection section is increasingly sounding like a good idea though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Why should they though? Unless it's prohibited by the section that it's contained in why shouldn't someone respectfully express a contrary view?

Its definitely good to hear both points of view, it's just a shame when some people do not show respect if their thoughts are different from others. Thats when problems arise and the discussion gets closed.

Reading this thread my decision on this subject has changed a few times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I didn't think these conception and fertility threads were debate threads? If a family are willing to pay tens of thousands to undertake this, chances are they've thought it out pretty strongly. It's sad there couldn't be an informative thread on this issue because people knew there would be backlash, which is why they resorted to PMs. Clearly they are not up for having their choices debated.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

button2012  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I didn't think these conception and fertility threads were debate threads? If a family are willing to pay tens of thousands to undertake this, chances are they've thought it out pretty strongly. It's sad there couldn't be an informative thread on this issue because people knew there would be backlash, which is why they resorted to PMs. Clearly they are not up for having their choices debated.
    Sorry I was speaking more generally as this thread seems to have become a theoretical discussion about whether there could be debate on it. I was simply trying to point out why they had gone bad in the past.

Once again let me say it's not up to me what people discuss on Bubhub. There are threads on gender swaying and if there is a desire to talk about it then that could be a safe place and at the outset whoever starts the thread could set out the boundaries for the discussion.

I was asked why the warning was given at the beginning about why these threads have turned bad in the past and was trying to explain. Rightly or wrongly it's a controversial issue still in Australia.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Barnaby  (21-05-2016),JustJaq  (21-05-2016),VicPark  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly if you don't agree with it don't participate in the thread. You've already turned it into a debate which is sad when some people do want the information. It's their life and their choice. I have been through at least 10 rounds of ivf so I have already spent more than enough money to be able to choose if I want to. Not that it's justification I don't think people have to justify their choices. If you don't like it move on.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lastchance75 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (21-05-2016),button2012  (21-05-2016),ilex  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Little Boys Blue  (21-05-2016),Ngaiz  (21-05-2016),sarahjane914  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance75 View Post
    Honestly if you don't agree with it don't participate in the thread. You've already turned it into a debate which is sad when some people do want the information. It's their life and their choice. I have been through at least 10 rounds of ivf so I have already spent more than enough money to be able to choose if I want to. Not that it's justification I don't think people have to justify their choices. If you don't like it move on.
    Agree.

Why even comment if you're against it? This wasn't started as a debate.

We have gone through infertility and IVF, and I don't think it's my place to say someone shouldn't go through gender selection if they so chose.

How do you know they don't have to do IVF and PGD anyway? In the US they can identify gender when doing PGD/PGS.

There are a lot of assumptions being made here.

Lastly, telling someone they shouldn't do this puts you in the same boat as those who tell people with infertility they should adopt.

To each their own ladies.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A few things:

I thought the poster after Sonja who advised finding a US forum was also indicating that BH wasn't the place to discuss the topic, but I now think I misinterpreted that. Hence me saying 'warnings' plural.

People have all kinds of ideas about what having a baby or child will be like - regardless of gender - that may or may not turn out to be true. Yes those who want a girl to "dress in pretty clothes" (I'd be surprised if there wasn't more to it than that) might be disappointed if their child isn't into that, but we often project all kinds of ideas and ideals onto our children before having them and I don't see that as being an issue iykwim. I live next to the beach, before having kids I would say how I wanted to bring my babies to the beach and go surfing with them etc etc - so far so good but if one of my kids decides they hate salt and sand it doesn't mean I've had them for the wrong reasons!

Before having children, and when dealing with recurrent miscarriage and IVF I too felt like even gender swaying was a bit vile. I would have killed for a healthy baby regardless of gender. (Before I had kids I also thought screen time and chicken nuggets were the devil.😏)
    Now I have two gorgeous boys and love them to bits but there is part of me that still wants a girl. I had a boys name and a girls name picked since I was a child and I've used the boys name but the girls name is still kicking around in my head. I read the 'MIL' thread on here and think that I will be fortunate if my future DILs (if my sons are straight/ partnered/ have kids etc) let me near my grandkids.

In my case I also have 6 frozen embryos from my last cycle of IVF. I'm not keen on travelling to do more IVF when I have these embryos already - for me that wouldn't feel right - but if they're there and some of them might be girls how is it harmful to ANYONE to have them tested and to let me implant a female embryo? I disagree that it's eugenics - sex is binary (even if gender is fluid) so it's nothing like choosing traits according to DNA. And in places where it is legal - such as the US - there aren't issues with uneven population numbers so I don't see that it causes problems there either.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (21-05-2016),ilex  (21-05-2016),JustJaq  (21-05-2016),KitiK  (21-05-2016),Little Boys Blue  (21-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you bothered to read from the beginning of the thread you would've noticed this wasn't a debate thread and purely people having an open discussion about gs. I too have done IVF for my babies but I have no problem with GS if its to balance a family or if a couple is happy with one child after years of IVF. I would rather people turf a few male embryos than terminate absolutely healthly babies like the Melbourne couple in 2011? Did because they weren't what they wanted. That's a whole other thread.

We all know gender disappointment is very real and we shouldn't make parents guilty for wanting to do what is available to them to obtain *their* perfect family.

Maybe a mod can clean it up and move the thread to a pro-gs section?...