+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thyroid autoimmune disease and morning sickness

Hi ladies, interested to hear experiences with morning sickness for those with an autoimmune thyroid disease? I have hypothyroidism (Hashimotos) and had very mild morning sickness for week 8 and 9 and that was it! I was always told years ago when I was diagnosed that I'm actually lucky in a way because I will feel my best when I'm pregnant and I never understood why. At a recent endo visit at 10 weeks, my free T4 had dropped a bit and TSH was a little elevated so my endo increased my thyroxine dose slightly. She told me it's normal cause baby is using T4 and that she sees this a lot, that people with autoimmune hypothyroidism before pregnancy tend to have very easy pregnancies with little to no morning sickness.

Did anyone have this experience? Or did anyone with hyperthyroidism (Graves) experience very bad morning sickness? She explained that it's because the molecular structure of HCG is very similar to T4 and if you have Graves before pregnancy, your body often reacts very badly to HCG the same way it does to T4. I find this so fascinating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @MrsVZ I have Hashimotos and am 8 weeks pregnant. I have had not one second of morning sickness. It's actually made me really paranoid because I feel way too good!

Now that you mention it I do remember a dr making that comment to me when we first started TTC too. I also felt amazing on IVF drugs and my FS told me that would mean I'd probably feel fantastic when I was pregnant too.

It's nice to feel great and not have many symptoms, but it's also kind of disconcerting in these early weeks when I'm just waiting for each scan to know everything is ok in there 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have hashimotos. I have had 10 pregnancies (6 babies) and had ms ranging from everyday until birth to only a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm hypothyroid. I occasionally had a tiny bit of mild nausea in the first trimester in my two pregnancies, but nothing problematic. The only time I threw up was with a bout of gastro!

I didn't realise it was possibly thyroid-related, rather than just good luck. My (non-hypothyroid) sister was pregnant at about the same time (both times around) and she was a spewbot!
    Last edited by Gentoo; 15-05-2016 at 12:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have hypothyroidism (not hashi's though) and I didn't get morning sickness either. I never knew it could be related either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HillDweller I know the feeling, you worry either way, I just had my 12 week scan and still didn't feel at ease until I heard from my GP the next day that everything is looking great. I'll probably worry until I meet my little one and every day for the rest of my life haha!

Interesting to hear everyone's experiences, thanks for sharing! There's actually a thing called an HCG diet would you believe?! People take HCG to boost their metabolism.
    The way I understand it, HCG binds to T4 in your blood and stimulates your thyroid. If you are pregnant and have Hashimotos, your thyroid struggles to keep up with this extra stimulation. Can't work out exactly how this affects morning sickness but it's something to do with your body's response to HCG.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsVZ For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (15-05-2016)