+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok so it appears our school is ridiculously over the top about NAPLAN

I was chatting to a friend who has a daughter in grade 3 this year and they had a lot of NAPLAN preparation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Ok so it appears our school is ridiculously over the top about NAPLAN

I was chatting to a friend who has a daughter in grade 3 this year and they had a lot of NAPLAN preparation
    If they are teaching to the curriculum they shouldn't need to.

Preparation itself isn't the end of the world as it would be another form of revision for the kids. The problem with over preparation is when it places pressure on the kids to achieve a result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD1 is in year 3 and just finished naplan.
    She was quite relaxed about the whole thing. I know they did a couple of practice papers the week before but thats about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My grade 3 just finished his testing this week he said we went well. I bought him the naplan book ($20) I think it was and a did a little bit each week with him at home. I did ask for old tests from school but they wouldn't give them to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    There are sample questions online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids shouldn't be stressing over this sh!t. Sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two older kids did NAPLAN last week (yr 5 and 7) and didn't seemed to phased by it at all...more of a "wahhh. ..another test" sort of whinge. They have done at school prep since Yr 3 but it hasn't seemed excessive or pushy to achieve...more about how to interpret the exam structure..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am flabbergasted when I hear of weeks of preparation, parents hiring private tutors, & kids getting stressed out because of NAPLAN. At our school, the kids do a couple of practices just so they are familiar with the format of the test & how to answer the questions - just so the format itself isnt unfamiliar. But it's really a case of just another day at our school - the teachers are very low key & it's just seen as another test. There is no reason kids should be getting stressed out about it, unless either the school or the parents are putting pressure on the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default NAPLAN preparation... how much is too much?

I literally just came from going out to lunch and DH and I were chatting with the restaurant owner who was telling us his kid ( year 6) will be going to Sydney boys high ( selective school here) and I said oh great did they send the offers out already and he said no not until July but he's not worried his kids been working towards the exam since 3rd class 😥, he has been tutored for this and NAPLAN ( he apparently has top NAPLAN scores as this helps with entry to selective schools apparently) I said oh what if he doesn't get in have you have him enrolled somewhere else and and he said no it's not an option he will get in - I just hope for the kids sake he does as the pressure must be enormous ( he's 11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I prepared my class by ensuring they were familiar with the question formats and what to do if they got stuck on a question. I used Naplan sample texts and reading test questions in reading lessons as groups/whole class so we could focus on finding information in the texts and "best fit" answers (inference). These are essential reading skills and I could use any number of resources to teach them. We've been doing "big writes" since day 1, so the kids are already familiar with one-off extended writing sessions. We did practise "exam conditions" a few times as I have a chatty bunch this year.

I don't put much value on Naplan as I won't see the results until Sept. This means that I still need to do all my own assessments still on top of the 4 Naplan tests in order to assess for the semester.

Unfortunately some secondary schools put a lot of weight on grade 5 Naplan results, especially for scholarships and select entry. I hate the pressure this puts on some kids. IMO they are too young for that kind of pressure!

As parent I wouldn't want my child to attend the sort of school that thinks one test on one day is a fair representation of what my child can do. The only prep I did with my daughter was to chat about how she was feeling and what to do if she got stuck on a question.