+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    So Glad to hear you're home and he's doing better. 😊 Did they give any oral steroid by the way?
    No steroids which is why they think it may be a mix between asthma and viral infection. We have an action plan now and it's mainly for when he's getting sick. He screams when we do his puffer but has to be done. So we are continuing every 3 hours and slowly weaning off. He slept for 4 hours this afternoon when we got home so must of been happy lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    No steroids which is why they think it may be a mix between asthma and viral infection. We have an action plan now and it's mainly for when he's getting sick. He screams when we do his puffer but has to be done. So we are continuing every 3 hours and slowly weaning off. He slept for 4 hours this afternoon when we got home so must of been happy lol
    Last time we were in hospital (May last year), the Drs were undertaking a study on steroid use in children for treatment of asthma/respiratory issues. The study involved either getting a steroid or just a harmless liquid (obviously you wouldn't know what you got) and you had to keep a diary of symptoms/responses. She indicated that there was a move away from using steroids such as prednisolone in these situations.

We didn't participate in the study as I was due to have a baby that week so thought keeping a diary may be pushing my limits but SS wasn't given steroids and we managed his condition with ventolin every 3/4 hrs until well as per the asthma plan.

I hope you little guy continues to improve (and starts to get better with the spacer). One nurse said to me, sometimes if the child is screaming and crying they often breath deeper so in fact they are getting a good amount of medication (this thought got me through the hard times).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Glad to hear you've got an action plan. This is pretty much how our DS was from age 1.5 to about 4 only getting the asthma symptoms when he had a virus. He's now 6 and still has a small amount of puffers when sick but I'm not actually sure he really needs it, it's more a precaution and me being a bit paranoid. If asthma doesn't run in the family it more than likely he will grow out of it. We used to start the puffers etc at the first sign of virus, mainly through the winter months.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (18-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Last time we were in hospital (May last year), the Drs were undertaking a study on steroid use in children for treatment of asthma/respiratory issues. The study involved either getting a steroid or just a harmless liquid (obviously you wouldn't know what you got) and you had to keep a diary of symptoms/responses. She indicated that there was a move away from using steroids such as prednisolone in these situations.

We didn't participate in the study as I was due to have a baby that week so thought keeping a diary may be pushing my limits but SS wasn't given steroids and we managed his condition with ventolin every 3/4 hrs until well as per the asthma plan.

I hope you little guy continues to improve (and starts to get better with the spacer). One nurse said to me, sometimes if the child is screaming and crying they often breath deeper so in fact they are getting a good amount of medication (this thought got me through the hard times).
    Thanks for that! Interesting. One doctor did mention they weren't putting him on steroids because they think the puffer is working. Which it is.the spacer is bearable during the day if we put cartoons on! He sits still and doesn't cry! The nurses did mention that it helps get more meds deeper into lungs and it did help me cope when he was screaming. He's handling it well. I think at night it's just a bit scary.
    But thank you so much. He's making improvements so much. I did notice today when I took him to the car (no more than 2 minutes between the house and car) he started coughing so much. Made me wonder about it. Will mention it to our gp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Glad to hear you've got an action plan. This is pretty much how our DS was from age 1.5 to about 4 only getting the asthma symptoms when he had a virus. He's now 6 and still has a small amount of puffers when sick but I'm not actually sure he really needs it, it's more a precaution and me being a bit paranoid. If asthma doesn't run in the family it more than likely he will grow out of it. We used to start the puffers etc at the first sign of virus, mainly through the winter months.
    Our action plan says when he starts getting sick to start doing puffs if he needs it. So will be keeping a close eye on him from now on. I think I will be a bit more paranoid now though. Asthma runs in both sides of the family. My grandmother has it and has since she was a little girl and my brother had it but grew out of it, bil had it but grew out as well and some cousins have it. Hoping if it does end up as asthma (properly diagnosed, that he will grow out of it) we live in a cold area, during winter it gets very cold so will keeping an even closer eye on him now.

Thank you so much for your replies. Xo