+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 55 of 55
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,133
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    762
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    So Glad to hear you're home and he's doing better. 😊 Did they give any oral steroid by the way?
    No steroids which is why they think it may be a mix between asthma and viral infection. We have an action plan now and it's mainly for when he's getting sick. He screams when we do his puffer but has to be done. So we are continuing every 3 hours and slowly weaning off. He slept for 4 hours this afternoon when we got home so must of been happy lol

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanked
    491
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    No steroids which is why they think it may be a mix between asthma and viral infection. We have an action plan now and it's mainly for when he's getting sick. He screams when we do his puffer but has to be done. So we are continuing every 3 hours and slowly weaning off. He slept for 4 hours this afternoon when we got home so must of been happy lol
    Last time we were in hospital (May last year), the Drs were undertaking a study on steroid use in children for treatment of asthma/respiratory issues. The study involved either getting a steroid or just a harmless liquid (obviously you wouldn't know what you got) and you had to keep a diary of symptoms/responses. She indicated that there was a move away from using steroids such as prednisolone in these situations.

    We didn't participate in the study as I was due to have a baby that week so thought keeping a diary may be pushing my limits but SS wasn't given steroids and we managed his condition with ventolin every 3/4 hrs until well as per the asthma plan.

    I hope you little guy continues to improve (and starts to get better with the spacer). One nurse said to me, sometimes if the child is screaming and crying they often breath deeper so in fact they are getting a good amount of medication (this thought got me through the hard times).

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,194
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked
    1,062
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    No steroids which is why they think it may be a mix between asthma and viral infection. We have an action plan now and it's mainly for when he's getting sick. He screams when we do his puffer but has to be done. So we are continuing every 3 hours and slowly weaning off. He slept for 4 hours this afternoon when we got home so must of been happy lol
    Glad to hear you've got an action plan. This is pretty much how our DS was from age 1.5 to about 4 only getting the asthma symptoms when he had a virus. He's now 6 and still has a small amount of puffers when sick but I'm not actually sure he really needs it, it's more a precaution and me being a bit paranoid. If asthma doesn't run in the family it more than likely he will grow out of it. We used to start the puffers etc at the first sign of virus, mainly through the winter months.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

    wobbleyhorse  (18-05-2016)

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,133
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    762
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Last time we were in hospital (May last year), the Drs were undertaking a study on steroid use in children for treatment of asthma/respiratory issues. The study involved either getting a steroid or just a harmless liquid (obviously you wouldn't know what you got) and you had to keep a diary of symptoms/responses. She indicated that there was a move away from using steroids such as prednisolone in these situations.

    We didn't participate in the study as I was due to have a baby that week so thought keeping a diary may be pushing my limits but SS wasn't given steroids and we managed his condition with ventolin every 3/4 hrs until well as per the asthma plan.

    I hope you little guy continues to improve (and starts to get better with the spacer). One nurse said to me, sometimes if the child is screaming and crying they often breath deeper so in fact they are getting a good amount of medication (this thought got me through the hard times).
    Thanks for that! Interesting. One doctor did mention they weren't putting him on steroids because they think the puffer is working. Which it is.the spacer is bearable during the day if we put cartoons on! He sits still and doesn't cry! The nurses did mention that it helps get more meds deeper into lungs and it did help me cope when he was screaming. He's handling it well. I think at night it's just a bit scary.
    But thank you so much. He's making improvements so much. I did notice today when I took him to the car (no more than 2 minutes between the house and car) he started coughing so much. Made me wonder about it. Will mention it to our gp.

  6. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,133
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    762
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Glad to hear you've got an action plan. This is pretty much how our DS was from age 1.5 to about 4 only getting the asthma symptoms when he had a virus. He's now 6 and still has a small amount of puffers when sick but I'm not actually sure he really needs it, it's more a precaution and me being a bit paranoid. If asthma doesn't run in the family it more than likely he will grow out of it. We used to start the puffers etc at the first sign of virus, mainly through the winter months.
    Our action plan says when he starts getting sick to start doing puffs if he needs it. So will be keeping a close eye on him from now on. I think I will be a bit more paranoid now though. Asthma runs in both sides of the family. My grandmother has it and has since she was a little girl and my brother had it but grew out of it, bil had it but grew out as well and some cousins have it. Hoping if it does end up as asthma (properly diagnosed, that he will grow out of it) we live in a cold area, during winter it gets very cold so will keeping an even closer eye on him now.

    Thank you so much for your replies. Xo


 

Similar Threads

  1. Newborn wake time - just doesn't go to sleep?
    By Ezzkimo in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-05-2016, 19:30
  2. Son trouble breathing at nap time - sleep apnea?
    By Balfour in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-03-2016, 12:33
  3. Loosing time, did I micro sleep?
    By maternidade in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-09-2015, 23:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!