+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have a look at his abdomen under his ribs, if it's slightly sunken then he's not breathing quite right - don't freak he might just need a different spacer. Any signs of trouble breathing of course take him straight to emergency.

Do you have a vaporiser in his room? As the air gets colder and dries out in terms of humidity it can make coughs worse.

Also have you tried Vicks on his feet with socks on at bed time? I know it's an old wives tale but it worked a charm on my two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Have a look at his abdomen under his ribs, if it's slightly sunken then he's not breathing quite right - don't freak he might just need a different spacer. Any signs of trouble breathing of course take him straight to emergency.

Do you have a vaporiser in his room? As the air gets colder and dries out in terms of humidity it can make coughs worse.

Also have you tried Vicks on his feet with socks on at bed time? I know it's an old wives tale but it worked a charm on my two.
    Thanks! His chest looked okay earlier today I didn't really look before he went to sleep tonight but he coughed and coughed before fully falling asleep. Ok, our little chemist doesn't have a lot of variety. Would it be worth looking for a new spacer? In case it helps? Sorry for the dumb questions. I don't want to waste money (I need every cent right now) but if we have to spend it I will.

I haven't tried one. Might look tomorrow for one. Couldn't hurt.

We are doing Vicks (I always believe it works haha)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd take him to er at this point to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you said he was checked for whopping cough but my understanding is that it can be difficult to get a positive result with a swab. I had whopping cough about 10 years ago and the symptoms were just as you described.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds a lot like asthma - my DD experienced the same. I would definitely be getting it checked out again either by a GP or (if his breathing is bad) by taking him to ED. With a preventor, ventolin and prednisolone (when needed) DD's asthma was well controlled and she has now basically grown out of it. However she is still extremely prone to coughing and spends lots of nights coughing every time she gets a cold. I think it's a post nasal drip. I made so many trips to the GP prior to her asthma diagnosis, so I would definitely follow up again with your GP. Maybe take a recording of the severe coughing and sucking in of ribs to show them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use the breath-a-tech spacer and child mask which worked really well, DD doesn't use the mask now as she is 6. She doesn't have asthma but had bacterial pneumonia and then a chesty type infection so is on fluxotide for prevention over the winter.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coughing at sleep time

Also get checked for pneumonia (need a chest xray). I had the same and was coughing so hard I threw up and went undiagnosed for 2 months after 6 doctors and 2 ER admissions. I now have scarred lungs because they didn't diagnose it early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are many causes of coughing in a young child:
    asthma,
    viral bronchiolitis,
    viral or bacterial pneumonia,
    inhaled foreign body (such as a coin or crayon),
    gastro-oesophageal reflux,
    etc.

Assessment involves: timing his respiratory rate per minute, his colour, his "work" of breathing (so as others have said, his use of accessory muscles in order to breathe), his oxygen saturation, temperature, chest X-ray, etc.

If he is still coughing as much as he has been, I would take him to the ED early this morning. Like now. Before it gets too busy. (I've worked in many urban EDs, and 0630 is generally the most quiet time).

Significant coughing in a 2-year-old is a good reason to present to ED. You will not be (should not be!) fobbed off.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (15-05-2016),wobbleyhorse  (15-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    There are many causes of coughing in a young child:
    asthma,
    viral bronchiolitis,
    viral or bacterial pneumonia,
    inhaled foreign body (such as a coin or crayon),
    gastro-oesophageal reflux,
    etc.

Assessment involves: timing his respiratory rate per minute, his colour, his "work" of breathing (so as others have said, his use of accessory muscles in order to breathe), his oxygen saturation, temperature, chest X-ray, etc.

If he is still coughing as much as he has been, I would take him to the ED early this morning. Like now. Before it gets too busy. (I've worked in many urban EDs, and 0630 is generally the most quiet time).

Significant coughing in a 2-year-old is a good reason to present to ED. You will not be (should not be!) fobbed off.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yep. This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone. He calmed down a bit today and I got him a vaporiser thing? Can only hope. He did cough until he threw up this evening but I'm not sure if it was just the coughing or he was quite full as well.
    Currently sitting next to him while he tries to sleep. He never falls asleep with someone next to him but tonight he won't let me leave. DF has gone to work so if things turn bad I'll be calling him. I'll be ringing our doctor tomorrow regardless. These symptoms are exactly the same as 5 or so weeks ago when he was tested for whooping cough.
    I'm feeling concerned but I do worry a lot. I've taken him to hospital once before because health direct said I should and the nurse made me feel so terrible.. She seemed to think it could of waited and was more concerned with finding out if I was single mum. So I do admit it's put me off but if I feel we need to go I will be there in a heartbeat.