+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Coughing at sleep time

DS has been coughing so much he's unable to sleep. His day sleeps are non existent because he coughs so much he wakes up and his night time sleeps are just as bad.. This morning he's spent nearly 2 hours coughing, waking himself up, he's miserable but won't have a drink cause he throws up from the coughing if he's had too much. Most nights are spent awake for awhile because he's woken up coughing. He's also coughing after running around as well.
    I don't think there's something going on (he had to be checked for whooping cough the other week. He's not actually sick just has the cough.
    I'm exhausted. He's exhausted. Is there something I can give him? Or what do u give your child if they've got a cough that's not going away?

Sorry if this makes no sense! Running on no sleep and I don't cope without sleep.
    Feel helpless so any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like asthma, I'd get him to the GP ASAP and get ventolin (reliever) to see if it relieves it. How old is he? My son was like this when he was a toddler but thankfully it's almost non existent since he turned 5. If he's coughing after running he may need a preventer too (flixotide) I'd say it was worth it at least for a trial period. Hope you all get some sleep soon 🙂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also check for asthma. During the cooler months DD would be awake for hours at night coughing until we had her checked by our GP and he prescribed her ventolin. It makes such a huge difference.

She also coughs a lot when running around, etc so sometimes needs the puffer then also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would take him to a gp just incase it is asthma although under 2 they dont diagnose it as asthma.

My ds has been in and out of hosputal the last few months with it so definitely get it checked out just incase.
    Even up to er if your gp cant see him, they can give him some ventolin if needed. It is very scary how quickly they can deteriorate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. He has a puffer, we've used it a few time since starting coughing. He had it from when he was sick awhile ago. It does help a little but he stuffs around when taking it so I'm not sure he's getting a proper dose.
    Are there more signs of asthma to keep an eye on? Our doctor is closed so won't be able to get in until Monday at the earliest.

He is 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Coughing at night and after running around are classic signs of asthma especially if it's waking him up. How may puffs do you give? Try 6 I know it seems a lot but you can't overdose on it. We took DS to hospital once and they gave him 6 every 20 mins hour one hour! You may need an oral steroid for 3 days, that works wonders. 4-6 every 3-4 hours may be worth a try. A preventer may be required just through the winter months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD is displaying almost the exact same symptoms. We've recently had a little stint in hospital for croup with stridor, and they advised us to try ventolin (in a spacer) when at home to try and relieve it. Well, getting ventolin into a wiggly, unhappy 18month old has proved interesting, but it seems to help.

Another thing I have done to relieve her (and our other 3 at times) is half a spoon of honey. Honey helps relax the mucous membrane and soothes their coughing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, just one of those things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If 6 puffs doesn't relieve it, I'd probably go to ER to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and I'm not sure about the use of humidifiers anymore, the hospital told us they dont5 recommend them anymore for croup or asthma....but yesterday and last night I had ours going, with eucalyptus, and she seemed a bit more comfortable.

I guess you can only try different things and hope they relieve your DS. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coughing at sleep time

Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Sounds like asthma, I'd get him to the GP ASAP and get ventolin (reliever) to see if it relieves it. How old is he? My son was like this when he was a toddler but thankfully it's almost non existent since he turned 5. If he's coughing after running he may need a preventer too (flixotide) I'd say it was worth it at least for a trial period. Hope you all get some sleep soon 🙂
    This! Hope you can get it sorted.

ETA: just saw you already have a puffer. On our care plan, when DS is unwell, we give him 6 puffs (4 breaths in between through the spacer) every 3-4 hrs until well - this is overnight as well. Any persistent coughing, shortness of breath, inability to talk in normal sentences/overly quiet etc, then it's off to dr/hospital.

We had to practice heaps with the spacer and sometimes we had to hold him down & he fought but it's so important it was worth it - he was 2 when we started - he's now 4 and does his flixotide twice a day himself (with supervision).

Best of luck!
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 14-05-2016 at 08:50.