Overseas holiday with 6 month old? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Overseas holiday with 6 month old?

DP and I are thinking of taking a holiday in September. Bub will be six months old.
    We're tossing up between Europe or Australia.
    My concerns for Europe are-
    * what will the flight be like with a six month old?
    *will we actually see anything when we get over there? Or with the bub will it just be feeding/nappies/nap times?
    *should we wait till DD is older so she can see the site as well?

Has anyone here traveled to Europe with a six month old? How did it go for you?
    Country thoughts are Spain, Italy or France.
    Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just did a holiday within oz with my six month old. It was great. We travelled from Perth, to Sydney, then Brisbane and home again. Bub was great on the plane and the hosties were amazing (on virgin). I think for a long haul flight though I'd want to book an extra seat and take her car seat on board, especially if I was planning on driving at the destination. It was ok holding her for 4-5 hours but did make things like eating more logistically difficult! For a long flight I'd want to be able to put her down at some point and there's a good chance you may not get a bassinet as priority is given to younger babies/people who have already booked the extra leg room seats.

In terms of doing stuff we were OK as my DD is quite happy to nap in the pram or baby carrier. We did have to take it more slowly though and remember we couldn't do as much in a day as we could pre-baby as everything just takes longer! It's a good way of ensuring the holiday stays nice and low key though if you wait til your DD is older you'll be waiting a long time before she can keep up! I'm jealous, would love to be planning a European holiday!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took my DD to Germany at 4 months, and to Malaysia at 6 months. I enjoyed Malaysia more, but I was breastfeeding so I didn't have to worry about sterilising things/water quality etc.

It was easy to do sight seeing in Germany though as Bub just went in the pram or the ergo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say go for it. We have continued travelling since we had kids. We went to the USA and London when our first was 8 weeks old and have continued to travel overseas 2-3 times a year since then. We love it. Sure there are tough moments - but those happen at home too. We are heading to Europe for a month soon with our young family and while some people think we at mad we always have a great time. We now usually stay in Airbnb apartments as space is the real luxury for us when away. Also pack super light - makes for a much more enjoyable trip (get yourself a babyzen yoyo stroller).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to India and the UAE with a 5-6mth old. It was super easy. Bub lived in the carrier. I nursed her myself so no need to carry bottles or formula or anything.

Super easy to travel to/from as well.