+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default images of unsafe baby practices in the media

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    They aren't actually. They're for toddlers who roll around in their sleep and wake themselves up or hurt themselves when they bump their heads on the sides of hard wooden rails. Also it can stops them getting their limbs caught n the gaps. DD sprained her ankle when she got it caught in between the bars. A bumper would have stopped that happening.

I think they have a purpose with older children who are able to roll around and move freely to adjust themselves in their sleep
    I didn't want to post this yesterday as thought I would get flamed but last week I bought a cot bumper for ds2 who is 11 months. We just moved him from a soft sided portacot to a wooden cot and for the first few nights he smacked his head so many times on the sides. He's one of those babies that just throws himself backwards when he has a tantrum and the first night happened to also be the day he accidentally took a tumble down some stairs (dh hadn't put gate across). So to then hear him scream every time he whacked his already sore head was really hard!!
    I have made sure that it's positioned about 15cm above the base of the cot so there's no chance of him sleeping with his face pressed against it and there's plenty of air flow. Definitely wasn't a cosmetic thing for me, purely functional until he grows out of the head banging and gets used to the cot. Yes it's a sids risk and one I'm prepared to take. In my opinion there are plenty of other sleeping arrangements that also pose risks such as co sleeping but many people feel happy with those risks.
    Last edited by nh2489; 13-05-2016 at 07:31.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (14-05-2016),monroe78  (13-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    What's the issue with using an extra mattress? Just curious as I can't see what would make it a sids risk if it's correctly sized.
    A deeper mattress is dangerous as the sides of the portacot are not structured like a normal cot. Even with a fitted mattress, a baby could potentially get between the mattress and soft sides.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alicia111 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The worst i saw recently was someone used a childs doona for inside their babies cot! Then when the parent went in to see why baby was crying, found the baby with it's fingers and hand jammed in where the doona buttons up as the doona had been turned around by the baby.
    Then the parent decided it was the stores fault for selling the said doona so blasted them on media (where i read it) and stated she wanted the doona as it was the only cute design she liked?!? 😐😐😐

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I freely admit I had a cot bumper.

Dd would have been about 15 months or so when I bought it ... she had bumped her head so many times as she moved around a LOT in her sleep, and got her feet caught in the gaps a few times.

It was great. Solved the problems

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (13-05-2016),nh2489  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a cot bumper for my 2 as soon as they went into it. I also used a wedge to lay them on their sides.

i didn't know any better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a cot bumper too for DD, she was about 4 months. Due to the head/limbs vs bars issue. Worked great!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In NZ, some 20 years ago now, it was the actual matressess that were said to cause SIDS, so everyone started wrapping their cot mattresses either with a special cover you could purchase readily made or the midwives would show you other ways of wrapping it, it was also recommended to not use a mattress that an elder sibling had or another baby. A scientist discovered the mattress, new or second hand, release toxic gas from the fire resistant chemicals.

New Zealand used to have the highest rate for SIDS in the world.
    Once everyone started wrapping their cot mattresses, there was not 1 more death.
    Not all SIDs groups supported this idea at the time, not sure if they do now, but the DRs and midwives all did and instructed parents to do so.
    Thought that was an interesting point to add due to the topic! ☺

Cot bumpers were used over the years at different ages to stop babies bumping themselves and causing injuries like bruising, getting limbs stuck. But i think it was more from the age after 6 months when SIDs was not as high of a risk and babies are moving around more. The ties on the bumpers have been an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    If someone is stupid enough to see a photo like this and not know someone would have been photoshopped out.... well their baby is already at risk and that 'parent' is going to do something even without seeing it.
    My kids must be at serious risk then. Before reading this thread it had never crossed my mind that a person holding the baby had been photoshopped out of all the amazing baby shots I have seen. I *feel* stupid for not realising (hell, I used to use Photoshop when I worked in design!) however I think my 2 uni degrees would suggest I'm not actually stupid.

We all don't know everything, nor can we be expected to. I don't think we should ban everything with sharp corners and a potential risk, but in this case some more openness about the trickery involved in these shots is a good thing.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-05-2016),LaDiDah  (14-05-2016),VicPark  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My kids must be at serious risk then. Before reading this thread it had never crossed my mind that a person holding the baby had been photoshopped out of all the amazing baby shots I have seen. I *feel* stupid for not realising (hell, I used to use Photoshop when I worked in design!) however I think my 2 uni degrees would suggest I'm not actually stupid.

We all don't know everything, nor can we be expected to. I don't think we should ban everything with sharp corners and a potential risk, but in this case some more openness about the trickery involved in these shots is a good thing.
    Thankyou! I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't realise adults had beenphoto shopped out I always just felt sorry for the babies because some of them don't really look very comfortable. I am also always amazed the babies are sleeping in them, both my kids would have screamed the photo studio down!

To answer the original question though, no, I don't think these pics promote unsafe sleeping, any more than Bond movies promote unsafe driving. I think people are able to differentiate fantasy vs. reality.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (13-05-2016),nh2489  (14-05-2016),Stretched  (14-05-2016),VicPark  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default images of unsafe baby practices in the media

Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    Thankyou! I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't realise adults had beenphoto shopped out .
    Another dummy over here!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-05-2016),Stretched  (14-05-2016)