+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never did ante natal classes but are things like wrapping baby properly and sleep positioning discussed? I'm in hospital at the moment with 3 day old Ds and the only thing I've been told is not to wrap the legs to firm to allow the frog position for correct hip placement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yes sleep positioning and safe sleeping practices are all covered. they're drilled into you actually!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    I never did ante natal classes but are things like wrapping baby properly and sleep positioning discussed? I'm in hospital at the moment with 3 day old Ds and the only thing I've been told is not to wrap the legs to firm to allow the frog position for correct hip placement.
    At my hospital there was a checklist that needed to be ticked off. In there was safe sleeping etc - so the midwife/paed etc needed to discuss before discharge.

My ante natal class was about 3.5 years ago so no idea if they spoke about sleep positioning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    At my hospital there was a checklist that needed to be ticked off. In there was safe sleeping etc - so the midwife/paed etc needed to discuss before discharge.

My ante natal class was about 3.5 years ago so no idea if they spoke about sleep positioning.
    the MCHN covers this in practically every visit too.

it's slightly over the top but better too much than not enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is the concerning image that I saw doing the rounds on fb. The most concerning thing was the comments saying 'wow, what a great idea!" (or to that effect), & none mentioning the danger of sleeping a baby like this. It was on a few very popular/ high following baby/parenting facebook pages, which I am probably not allowed to name. I would hope mums know better than to sleep their baby like this, but the truth is, some don't. I read a post on BH ages ago about a lady who was sleeping her baby in a dog bed. Plenty of hubbers jumped on and said it was unsafe for her to do so, but she just had no idea that it would be considered unsafe. Cultural differences can have a big part to play too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default images of unsafe baby practices in the media

oh Christ. that's just so wrong 😥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    the wedges have some kind of value over and above purely aesthetics though. the wedge is for bubs who need to sleep on their side (like refluxy babies for instance), so although they're not sids safe, there's a purpose beyond purely how they look.

cot bumpers are for looks only. can't believe they're sold when they're clearly not recommended an their only value is cosmetic.
    They aren't actually. They're for toddlers who roll around in their sleep and wake themselves up or hurt themselves when they bump their heads on the sides of hard wooden rails. Also it can stops them getting their limbs caught n the gaps. DD sprained her ankle when she got it caught in between the bars. A bumper would have stopped that happening.

I think they have a purpose with older children who are able to roll around and move freely to adjust themselves in their sleep

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (14-05-2016),monroe78  (13-05-2016),nh2489  (13-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2016),sunnygirl79  (13-05-2016),~Marigold~  (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the bumpers were for toddlers who bumped their heads also. I actually considered getting some when DS1 was 18 months. Well past the sids risk. More chance of knocking himself out on the cot rail than suffocating in a bumper. 😂

I also think most mums have safe sleeping positions drilled into them like crazy either in hospital or by health nurses and often both. Almost OTT like. Sometimes I feel they don't leave anything up to common sense at all TBH.

You'll find paeds all over the country that make suggestions that go against SIDS guidelines. Not regarding cot bumpers or baby baskets but sleeping on their backs just isn't possible for some babies.
    But that's not something I am about to argue on a forum, it's more about stating a fact. If a structured ventilated sleep positioner was made illegal people would be forced to prop (for side sleeping etc) using cushions which is far far less safe.

I think the education is there but maybe in some areas of Australia it isn't and therefore a label warning etc might be needed so some unassuming uneducated mother doesn't put an ugly bumper in her cot with a remote risk her very young baby will roll over and suffocate in it.

I don't mean to make light of the situation but cot bumpers are one thing (and an ugly thing IMO that not so many people would use anyway), I bet there are a gazillion 'non SIDS safe' practices going on in the country at any one moment, with a majority of them being incorrect use of blankets, toys in cot, co-sleeping arrangements etc. And a majority of those parents are probably well educated and informed and just doing what they can to ensure everyone gets some sleep. Pretty sure a parent that hasn't slept behind a wheel of a car is putting their baby at higher risk of death than having them sleep in bed with them. Just my 2 cents.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (13-05-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (13-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The one unsafe SIDS practice that really bothers me is the foam mattresses for Portacots, the SIDS guidelines clearly state that the provided mattress only should be used. The portacots also meet Aus Safety Standards with only the provided mattress.

But I know so many women who buy the Clark Rubber mattresses for their portacots, because they are 'SIDS approved' they can't understand that they don't actually comply with with the SIDS guidelines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alicia111 View Post
    The one unsafe SIDS practice that really bothers me is the foam mattresses for Portacots, the SIDS guidelines clearly state that the provided mattress only should be used. The portacots also meet Aus Safety Standards with only the provided mattress.

But I know so many women who buy the Clark Rubber mattresses for their portacots, because they are 'SIDS approved' they can't understand that they don't actually comply with with the SIDS guidelines.
    What's the issue with using an extra mattress? Just curious as I can't see what would make it a sids risk if it's correctly sized.